Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Russel Stover SF vs. Low Carb?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=131828)

el corazón Wed, Aug-20-03 09:30

Russel Stover SF vs. Low Carb??

Okay I went to Russel Stover website and there is a low carb candy, they SAY at Walgreens. So I went to Walgreens and they only have the SF. Is there much of a difference other than the label??

Bebet Wed, Aug-20-03 09:50

The "low carb" candies are sold two to a package. Comes in red packaging like a candy bar. At my Walgreens they are up by the register, they are the mint patties, pecan/caramel, and the toffee(heath type) bars. The heath bars are .1 carb per piece. The pecan/caramel aren't much different if I remember correctly. The mint patties may have been 1 carb or less. They all taste pretty good. They were 99cents a package.

el corazón Wed, Aug-20-03 10:28

I couldnt find the *low carb* ones. Only the SF. Is there much of a difference? I hope not cuz I love these things!!!!

cvillacci Wed, Aug-20-03 14:53

They are the same RS just is packaging them differently. YOu can see if you compare lables.

el corazón Wed, Aug-20-03 15:08

omg thank you cindy! i had another 1 and was thinking...if these arent the *ok* kind i am very screwed. man they turned my stomach into knots tho!! wow!! i put them in the freezer so if i want 1 i have to take it out of the freezer and let it get room temp, which means that if im bingeing i will prolly put it back cuz i hate frozen chocolate. :) i ran outta my splenda pickles today! i eat those sooo much! yum! thanks again!

el corazón Wed, Aug-20-03 15:20

I emailed Russell Stover and here was their response.

Thank you for your interest in Russell Stover Candies. Our low carb
products
are made with a different chocolate than our Sugar-Free products. Because
each of these products requires the reduction and elimination of sugar, it
makes them appear similar.

By law, we must include Maltitol in the Total Carbohydrates. However, sugar
alcohols have a low digestibility that has little, if any effect on the
body's blood glucose level. As a result, individuals who are counting carbs
can subtract them.

On my package of the SF ones it says...
5 pieces

Total Carbs: 21g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugar Alcohol: 18g

So..That makes...1 net carb? Making it....0.2 carbs for 1 piece? Correct?

bfl_h0ttie Thu, Aug-21-03 09:45

yep

correct :)

Ive never tried the LC ones..just the sugar free stuff.

I LOVE RS. They be my friend. lol.

Sunslyte Thu, Sep-11-03 20:13

In the question of Low Carb vs Sugar Free -- if you look at the list of ingredients you will see that they are listed in a different order, and some of them are not the same.

I, too, was thinking that it was silly to pay more for LC if the SF was the same, so I bought a 2 pack of the LC toffee and a bag of the SF toffee.

There is a BIG difference in the taste -- at least to me. I loved the LC -- the SF seemed to have an aftertaste.

jmarionw Thu, Sep-11-03 20:35

I just buy the SF ones. Love the mint patties. I keep them in the fridge, and they're a nice little treat. BTW, the SF ones are a lot cheaper than the LC ones. Where I'm at, it's $1.50/pkg for SF versus $2.99 for the same package (same amount, weighs less) of the LC ones.