Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Who's a lifer and why? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=133118)

Jac74 Tue, Aug-26-03 04:02

Who's a lifer and why?

Well after 9 consecutive days of bingeing on white bread, cakes galore and every sweet within a 5 km radius I have shaken myself out of it! :yay:
I have also jumped on the scales which took a lot of courage and have only managed to put on about 3 kilos. This is pretty amazing considering I ate an average of 7000 cals per day on my binges. I have a past history of eating disorders!
So I reckon that someone is looking after me up there, and is giving me a second chance.
I have written myself a contract and signed it that the only way I can live happily in this world, free from depression, guilt, mood swings, and weight fluctuations is by following my trusty Dr A.
So I'm a lifer as of this day! And you can hold me to that! :thup:

kevidona Tue, Aug-26-03 04:23

I too am a lifer. Sometimes you just have to hit bottom and I think by the sound of it you just did. It is really a hard thing. But now you realize it and have admitted it to the low carb world and we will be there for you. :yay: Make sure that you have a journal and keep us posted along the way and when it gets tough drop us a line and we will help. You have made the right decision :agree:

yvonne326 Tue, Aug-26-03 07:16

I am a lifer because of the way I feel, my overall health and quite honestly...this WOL is doable. Granted, there will be times in the future that I will probably partake in some higher-carb foods...but overall I am low-carb forever.

JeannieM Tue, Aug-26-03 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonne326
I am a lifer because of the way I feel, my overall health and quite honestly...this WOL is doable. Granted, there will be times in the future that I will probably partake in some higher-carb foods...but overall I am low-carb forever.

Very well put, Yvonne. I too am a lifer. I struggled for 20 years to lose weight, and I kept losing and gaining the same pounds, and messing up my health and metabolism, over and over and over. Now this WOL is working. I too am a lifer.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Jeannie

manucpa Tue, Aug-26-03 10:34

Also commited for life , and I expect a longer one as a result !

Sentoria Tue, Aug-26-03 10:40

Here, here everyone!!! Besides all of the above, for me there is also a bonus. Easier in my karate class. I'm much faster, sharper, the kicks are higher :wiggle:

Rachelle Tue, Aug-26-03 10:41

LIFE.. MORE than a CEREAL

You know, I am really new at this...
But i can definately see myself doing this for the rest of my life..
I like being able to eat as much fat and meat.. and not feel guilty..

I am a sauce-aholic and love fattening sauces on everything.. and i don't have to stop that..

Also Veggies over fruit anyday for me...
It is definately doable..

and i feel good about my decision........ thanks for all the support..
that is important in this way of life .. i can tell already.. i have friends here :)

Karen Lynn Tue, Aug-26-03 11:23

I'm a lifer. I get so sick after eating bread and high carbs, I can't see myself doing it again. I took my son to Cub Scout camp this past summer where they fed us a "balanced" diet. Yeah, right - who's seesaw were they using? Not mine! I was sick for three days after I got back. I know, I know...I could have said no, but honestly, there was nothing else, I didn't plan on such "bad" food, and it was out on a mountain, miles from a town. Never again will I be so unprepared. Boy scout motto will rule! BE PREPARED!!!

gawdess Tue, Aug-26-03 12:37

You can count me in too! I think regular hi carb stuff tastes like crap now!

saffron28 Tue, Aug-26-03 12:55

I am definately a lifer!! I have never felt better in my life!! For the first time my adult acne that the doctor said I would just have to put up with is gone! Mood swings gone! Lethargie gone!! Oh yeah and 27 pounds gone!

flutterbye Tue, Aug-26-03 13:10

I'm in this for life too. Been on atkins since June 6. Down 31 lbs. now and feel great, not too many cravings, getting compliments, clothes are loose, Much more energy. Yeah, I'll take this any day over being depressed, a slave to food, tired and without much hope. Flutterbye

latoit Tue, Aug-26-03 13:34

I am officially a lifer. For me, losing weight and gaining it right back over the years b/c I saw it as a diet and not a lifestyle change. Well now that I have figured out this is something that will benefit me from now on, I no longer see "what I can't have" but now I see "all the stuff I can have" and not just in reference to food, but also in reference to life itself.

Life all the way!

Good luck to you all

Egypt_Isis Tue, Aug-26-03 13:54

Made Committment This Week

This week, I determined that I will be living low-carb for the rest of my life.

I had been off and on Atkins until the first week of July then we had travel and a series of weddings and events. After carbing out, feeling absolutely terrible (tummy trouble, headaches, sleep problems, no energy, etc) I came running back to Atkins. Everything is getting better and the weight is coming off again.... and I actually enjoy the food soo much more. There's nothing worse than looking forward to a carby treat, taking the first bite and being horrible disappointed.

Also, last week one of my sisters was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. She has a short window to get her blood sugar lowered or start taking drugs. Another sister already had diabetes. Since they are both older than me, this looks like a genetic predisposition ... and I want to avoid it.

My husband has also started having sugar crashes. Last week he started Atkins with me (he only has about 30 lbs to lose).

Best regards to all of you wonderful people here on our bb :yay: :yay:

adriana_s Tue, Aug-26-03 14:26

My ENTIRE family just about is diabetic. . . I have my father's tendencies and that's the side it's on . . I'm already epileptic and I dont need to be diabetic as well!! Anyway it's been five days for me and I thought i would DIE without bread (especiall tortillas! i live in San Antonio) for the first two days. . . today I don't even crave it! No kidding. . . . I'm really happy. . . I have only had to chomp on a couple of carborite bars to get rid of my sweet tooth but I only have that craving once or twice a day now whereas it used to be ALL day long!! I used to wake up and eat DONUTS followed by two 20 ounce cokes. . I'm surprised I didn't put on way more weight than I did! Anyway, even if I lose the weight slowly on this diet. . I LIKE it and I can STICK with it! I even converted my husband. . he's on his tough second day (sugar withdrawal BAD) but he'll get through it! I am a lifer for sure!

Oh and one other thing. . my doctor mentioned that because atkins is kind of like a very liberal "ketogenic" diet (the strict diet used to control SEVERE epilepsy) that I can come off of the meds that caused most of my weight gain possibly since my epilepsy is not severe (only four seizures in my lifetime but I'm on Depakote and that causes SEVERE weight gain sometimes. . .again I've been LUCKY). . . so here's hoping!

red1cutie Tue, Aug-26-03 14:37

I am definitely a lifer. I love the way this WOL makes me feel. I have not had a craving since my Induction and I have not cheated once which is amazing for me since I have cheated on every diet I have been on. I have to force myself to eat and I feel so in control. For me food is fuel now.

The only thing is I am losing hair still. :cry:

Peace
red