Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Macronutrient Combinations (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=73347)

kelleyb Sun, Dec-01-02 11:46

Macronutrient Combinations

After successful Induction (22# on Atkins), then a LONNNGG stall (4 months w/o pounds or inches lost), I've been on a Low carb quest to try to figure this thing out! :confused: I've particularly paid attention to the glycemic index/load, and the high-fat/low"ish" fat controversy. Specifically, I've been wondering if, since my carbs had been at a higher level (65g--still in ketosis) if the high fat was interfering with my weight loss. I'm still not sure, but I've broadened my plan to incorporate what I feel are solid practices from several different "plans". Something is working, 'cuz I'm down 2 lbs. :clap:

I've read several books in the past few weeks, and they agree on most things...BUT one huge difference I find is whether to, or how to combine foods. Protein Power has a very good visual (chart) showing the effect of different macronutrients individually and combined with other macronutrients. The jist is that CARBS (no surprise) alone and combined with fats or especially proteins causes the biggest insulin spikes. I assume that's why some LC plans require certain foods to be eaten in isolation from other foods (ie. keep proteins & fats separate from Carbos). But other LC plans require a particular balance (ie. 40-30-30) of macronutrients in each meal. :help: Can anyone here shed any light on this controversy, or am I missing something obvious?

freydis Sun, Dec-01-02 14:06

It was my understanding that carbs without fats were the biggest problem. Dr. Atkins specifically encourages us to NEVER eat carbs without fats because the fats slow down the process of putting sugar into the bloodstream. The Atkins plan, at least as I understand it, does not require a specific ration of macronutrients. It does require no more than 20 carbs on Induction and a slow process of learning your carb limits after Induction. Perhaps you're not considering the Atkins plan as a valid one to follow because of the stall? Or, do I need to read the book again because I missed the macronutrient ratio?

Talon Sun, Dec-01-02 14:22

Quote:
Dr. Atkins specifically encourages us to NEVER eat carbs without fats because the fats slow down the process of putting sugar into the bloodstream.

I'd like to read more about this, but don't remember reading it in the book! :( Which version is this in? Page? Thanks!

kelleyb Sun, Dec-01-02 15:07

Quote:
Perhaps you're not considering the Atkins plan as a valid one to follow because of the stall?

Actually, I do see Atkins as very valid--it worked so well for me for those first 22#. But my 4-month stall convinced me to explore other options. Atkins himself said that if one reaches a long plateau, to go off the woe onto another controlled plan. The key is "controlled" -- not just go off the woe and eat whatever! Eventually, I may return to Atkins for maintanance, but something I was doing prevented me from further loss. I ruled out yeast, wheat allergy, dairy, & egg. I really didn't know what else to try. You're right--Atkins doesn't speak about percentages of macronutrients--that was from several other LC books. (Zone, Insulin Resistance Diet, Somersize, etc.)
Quote:
It was my understanding that carbs without fats were the biggest problem.

According to Protein Power , High Carbo with Low Protein causes the biggest insulin spike, and second on the list is Carbohydrate alone. Next on the list is Carbs with Fat. (p.37). I have found Protein Power to be the most informative in terms of valid scientific explanation in laymen's terms.

My original question referred to the drastic difference in philosophy/physiology between keeping the different food types together vs. separate and any explanations anyone has about either/both. Thanks for any insight!

freydis Sun, Dec-01-02 17:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Talon
I'd like to read more about this, but don't remember reading it in the book! :( Which version is this in? Page? Thanks!

I apologize for not having the book in-hand. I've owned 5 copies now and given them to new "converts." I will be getting another copy soon and will look up the page number then.

In the meantime, let me use the Atkins site for at least a small portion of the information:

QUOTED FROM www.Atkinsdiet.com

Can I do a low-fat version of Atkins?
Fat is the mechanism that makes controlled carbohydrate weight loss work. The Atkins Nutritional Approach teaches you how to use fat to your advantage. When you are doing Atkins, fat is your friend not only because it is satiating but because it slows down the release of glucose into the blood. By moderating blood sugar swings, fat reduces carbohydrate cravings. Dietary fat, in combination with controlled carbohydrate consumption, accelerates the burning of stored body fat. When your body uses fat, rather than glucose for fuel, the metabolic process is called lipolysis. END QUOTE

The link is here:

<a href=http://atkinscenter.com/helpatkins/faqs/faqfood/index.html>Atkins Diet Link</a>