Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Is it normal to be irritable on day 3 of induction? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=153360)

Whiteice Wed, Dec-10-03 12:38

Is it normal to be irritable on day 3 of induction?

Hey all,

I notice that today (3rd day of induction for me) that I am so damn irritable. I am also feeling a little light headed, and dunno if this has anything to do with it, but I keep dropping stuff LOL. Please tell me this is semi-normal when starting the induction.

I think im just gonna go downstairs and watch "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Bad Boys 2" so I can just relax.

Whiteice

potatofree Wed, Dec-10-03 12:46

It's pretty normal.

Without knowing what you're eating, I can't say for sure, but crankiness is part of the withdrawal process, and sometimes if people get overzealous and cut carbs below the 20 in induction, it's worse.

I see by your profile, you haven't yet read the book. I HIGHLY recommend it, since it spells out exactly what to expect.

BlitzedAng Wed, Dec-10-03 13:44

My DH was very cranky when he started, but I wasn't.I tho had headaches for over a week..I assume it was from giving up caffine for me.

HogarthNH Wed, Dec-10-03 14:18

It's COMPLETELY Normal.

My wife and I were absolutely at each other's throats for days 2 and 3 of induction.

And we're the most low-key, non-combatant bunch of newlyweds you've ever met.

I've heard anecdotally of one or two people who found themselves permanently "irritated", but I would suggest you'll feel right-as-rain sometime between now and Day 7.

H

LadyBelle Wed, Dec-10-03 15:49

It's called withdrawl symptoms. Basicaly your an addict who has had his drug of choice taken away (in this case sugar). If you are also withdrawing from caffine, then definetly normal.

Make sure to take suppliments to help with this though. Also make sure to eat enough so that plain old hunger isn't making you irritable. Get enough fat in and eat when hungry to keep the nasties at bay.

Make sure to read the book as much f this is covered. Also read the web site many times, especially the induciton section.

Lisa N Wed, Dec-10-03 17:49

Not all people experience withdrawal symptoms (I didn't) and different people experience different levels of withdrawal and different types of symptoms. Some people might get headaches and feel very low on energy for a few days. Others may find themselves quite irritable and still others just might feel a little blah for a couple of days. My DH was so cranky on day 3, I offered to get him a tire to gnaw on and had to remind him that while his daughters would be considered low carb, they weren't part of the menu so he needed to stop trying to bite their heads off (not literally, of course!). :lol:
The good news is that it does pass, usually by the 4th or 5th day for most folks, so hang in there. Once your body gets through the detox process and switches over to burning ketones for fuel instead of glucose, you really will feel a lot better. :)

cori Wed, Dec-10-03 17:54

Oh my goodness yes! Day 3 is always the worst! It will get better - I swear!

jmayeux79 Wed, Dec-10-03 18:36

Trust me, its normal. My husband wanted to murder me around days 3-5 of induction. I'd just bite his head off and I was so so edgy. Luckily this all goes away!

Tweetheart Wed, Dec-10-03 18:42

Yes, absolutely. I think this is an important topic that is minimized in the book. I was exhausted...I mean stuck to the couch tired for 2 weeks, and I'm usually the type that is up and about doing something all the time.

My sister-in-law actually passed out on day 4. My office -mate who is 325+ pounds became weak, dizzy, and sweaty and was evaluated in the emergency room.

I'm now a big fan of Atkins but I think adjusting to ketosis can be very difficult for some people. I would be interested to know more about the biochemistry behind it. I would suggest you hang in there, if the symptoms are unbearable up your carbs to 50 or so and gradually decrease them over 1-2 weeks.

kat123 Wed, Dec-10-03 19:41

Hi there

Well from my experience withdrawls are totally normal. For 1 whole week I was the b~#ch from hell. I felt myself cranki and irritable but couldn't help it!! Eventually it does go away. Don't give up it will pass!!!

Kat

laura77 Thu, Dec-11-03 09:27

I first tried Atkins about two and a half years ago and after the first day I was so sick (withdrawal from sugar--so sad) that I quit the diet. When I tried again a few months ago I did some more research and realized that was actually a normal response. I hung in there and, after three days or so, I felt 400% better! But those three days I felt like the walking dead--headaches, lightheaded, nauseous, etc. Hang in there--it DEFINITELY gets better!

filmlass23 Thu, Dec-11-03 11:55

Totally normal. I was a wreck during that first week... it even affected my performance at work. My boss probably thought I was on withdrawl from some narcotic or something... lol...