Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   starting out and the basics (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=63523)

sehblue Sun, Sep-29-02 21:16

starting out and the basics

I have decided to start low carbing it. I would like to lose about 10 lbs and I would like to be less tired throughout the day. I have not read any of the low carb books but I am going to keep a journal of what I eat and not go over 20 carbs a day. What are some other basic points I should be aware of? After reading several "threads" it seems a little confusing. Also, I went out and bought a couple of atkins bars and muffin mix along with other low carb foods (eggs, cheese, celery, chicken, lettuce, and regular salad dressing). Also, is there 1 particular book, that stands out above the rest, I should purchase in order to begin this new way of life?
Thanks,
Stacey

CindySue48 Sun, Sep-29-02 22:53

yep

Stacey

Yes you really should buy a book...and read it thoroughly! There's a bit more to LC than just keeping your intake below 20gms. There are several plans out there....you really have to decide foryourself which one to go with. At the top of every page is an orange bar with several links...."Low Carb Books" will help you in purchasing the one you want. To the right of this page is another section "Quick Links" ....the first link, "which low-carb plan is right for me" wil be very helpful. There are several articles explaining the different programs.

I'm following Atkins....with a bit of protein power....and doing the exercises from Body For Life (NOT low carb! but it has great explainations for the exercises)

Good luck! And welcome

Rosebud Mon, Sep-30-02 00:20

Hi Stacey,

Why exactly do you want to lose 10 pounds? The reason I ask is that, at 5'4 and 123 pounds, you are already towards the lower end of the normal weight range.

If you just want to switch to low carb eating (always a good idea, IMHO) start whichever eating plan you choose at the maintenance level.

And yes, as Cindy Sue said, you really need to do some reading. All carbs are not equal!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

sehblue Wed, Oct-02-02 19:21

Thank you for your replies

Dear CindySue,

sehblue Wed, Oct-02-02 19:27

Thank you for your replies

Dear CindySue,
Thank you for your suggestion. I went out the very day I got your reply and bought Dr. Atkin's book. I have begun reading it and find it much more interesting than I had thought it would be! Anyway, thanks again and take care. -Stacey

Dear Rosebud,
Thank you for your response. I really only want to lose a couple of pounds but my main issue is fatigue throughout the day. This is something I battled with even in elementary school. (my mom took me a couple of times to be tested for anemia, which always came out negative). I really hope Alkins is the answer. Thanks again for your support. - Stacey