Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   low cab cheff shortbread recipe (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105801)

lwcrbsnack Fri, May-16-03 09:11

low cab cheff shortbread recipe

Please!! Does anyone have the recipe for low carb chef shortbread?? I spend way too much money getting my hands on these 15 calorie cookies. I've tried creating the right ratio from the ingredients list, but it just wasn't right. I especially didn't have the right form of maltitol for the sweetness. Please if anybody has suggestions.... :roll:

GREYTSCOT Sun, Sep-28-03 14:08

I just did a search on "shortbread" hoping for a tasty lc recipe. I've been experimenting with my Scottish shortbread recipes. I've tried using Atkins bake mix but the end result is garbage.

Anyhoo, I just bought some almond flour and tried that. I used about 5 oz almond flour added about 2 oz wheat flour and 4 oz butter. I was winging it since this was my first try at substituting almond flour for all purpose flour. However, while blending the butter and flour, it didn't crumble the way it normally does. It got all pasty, so I added the 2 oz of wheat flour, then about 2 tbls splenda (the kind that pours from the box versus the packets). However, it didn't taste very sweet. So I added 2 packets of sweet & low (pink packets) since blending sweeteners is supposed to be better.

I added a couple shakes of salt and spread the mix in half of my toaster oven tray since there wasn't enough to fill the whole tray and I didn't want it too thin. Baked at 325F for about 20 mins and it came out not half bad. Very light and crumbly but you can taste the yummy buttery taste.

I might try more wheat flour and less almond flour to help make it less crumbly next time. I hope this helps you in your endeavors.

fly737s Wed, Oct-01-03 13:02

Hey Guys,
I have not tried this recipe but Oat flour might really do a good job. I am not sure about the carb count vs the wheat flour but oat flour seems like it might work. Just a thought. Have an awsome day.
Pam

2Airedales Wed, Oct-01-03 13:22

OMG Shortbreads! I miss those buttery cookies!
I want a recipe too!!

GREYTSCOT Wed, Oct-01-03 16:24

Thanks, fly, for the suggestion of oat flour. I'll check it out next time I'm at the store. I had a devil of a time finding almond flour so I hope oat flour is not as rare a commodity! Cute airedales, 2 airedales. I've a greyhound.

fly737s Thu, Oct-02-03 10:07

Hello Greyscot,
I make my own oat flour. If you have a coffee grinder (I have one just for flax and nuts and Oats) grind up some quaker oats, not the quick stuff but the old fashioned kind. Works great and not too bad on the wallet. Have fun,
Pam

GREYTSCOT Thu, Oct-02-03 12:31

You must have noticed I'm Scottish. So that money saving idea is right up my alley. Thanks!