Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Salads Veggies & Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Jicama fries (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=212227)

Sunriser42 Thu, Sep-30-04 16:03

Jicama fries

Hey All!!!
I bought a jimaca to try as "french fries". any suggestions..Do ya just cut them & bake them like you would a normal potato? Thanks!

PamelaC. Thu, Sep-30-04 17:12

i'm not a fabulous cook or anything, but i would probably cut them up, dip them in an egg wash (beaten egg or two w/ some seasoning if you like) then put them single-layered on a baking sheet and bake until they turn brown. the egg-wash will give them a crispy sort of coating - i got that out of the oprah cookbook - cooking w/ rosie?? (her chef). let me know how they turn out - great idea! how many carbs?

Skyangel Thu, Sep-30-04 17:31

I have done the same thing with turnips - slice into "fries", brush with olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning of choice and bake.

Delicious with fish (breaded with crushed pork rinds) and cole slaw made with Splenda. Umm, sounds good tonight ...

tofi Thu, Sep-30-04 20:34

I've never seen this but is it the same as "Jicama"?
http://images.google.ca/images?q=tb...ages/jicima.jpg

Click on this link for a post on jicama fries

honeydust Sat, Oct-02-04 14:25

I tried this and thought it was quite tasty. I dont know the carb count. Does anyone know the carb count for Jicama?

Shoestring Jicama

Ingredients:

Vegetable Cooking Spray
2 ts Vegetable Oil
1 cl Garlic Crushed
3/4 lb Jicama -- peeled and julienned
2 tb Chopped Red Bell Pepper
1/8 ts Paprika
1/8 ts Salt
1/8 ts Pepper

Instructions:

Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray; add oil.
Heat oil over medium heat, add garlic, jicama & red pepper.
Sprinkle with seasonings and saute for five minutes; stirring frequently

bioteclady Fri, Feb-11-05 13:54

Jicama...on the atkins carb counter.....5.7 carbs, 3.2 fiber = 2.5 net carbs in 1/2 cup calories 25

Sounds like a good addition...thanks, heading to the store, this may end up in the basket. :)

cajuda Wed, May-25-05 17:13

Lately, my DH and I have been on a Jicama Fry kick. I cut mine into 'steak fry' size (like 3/4 in width X 1/4 in thick X 4 in. long). I just drop them into my deep fryer and it takes about 8-10 min. to cook. My DH likes the 'bloomin' onion sauce' with his. I'm going to try making them 'shoestring size' soon.

Rosebud1 Thu, May-26-05 10:00

I like them but they are so hard to cut in little pieces. Do you have a certain way to cut them up? Do you peel them also? thanks

cajuda Fri, May-27-05 04:17

Yes, you need to peel them. What are you making that you need to cut them in little pieces? I (armed with a sharp knife) slice them into 'steak fry size'. I don't find them that hard to cut so you could easily do the julienne size (like matchsticks) too. It's kind of like cutting thru a hard apple. I just thought of this: With your food processor shredding blade, you could shred them and then make 'hash browns'. But, you definitely need a sharp knife on this WOE. :)

Rosebud1 Sat, May-28-05 11:33

Thanks, I have a really good knife set but I am pretty clumsy with it when cutting into something hard like jicama. I will try the food processor route and see how it goes.

skuddle200 Wed, Jun-01-05 09:08

jimica would be a good substitue for waterchesnuts too wouldn't they? and look at the carbs savings there on the oriental foods, or added to chicken salad???????????

-=PEAKABOO Sun, Jul-03-05 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuda
Yes, you need to peel them. What are you making that you need to cut them in little pieces? I (armed with a sharp knife) slice them into 'steak fry size'. I don't find them that hard to cut so you could easily do the julienne size (like matchsticks) too. It's kind of like cutting thru a hard apple. I just thought of this: With your food processor shredding blade, you could shred them and then make 'hash browns'. But, you definitely need a sharp knife on this WOE. :)

Very true. A sharp knife is a must when preparing food. It needs to be sharp enough to cut to the bone. You must learn how to keep it sharp (sharpening steel) and be very careful when you wash it. The dishwasher can be damaging to a knife egde if using an abrasive detergent.
I just buy my few knives at a restaurant supply they are like $17 for the large chef knife and the paring knives are like $7 each.
A good steel to keep them sharp with is about $17.
Learn how to use them and use them safely and you will be suprized at how fast you can dice and onion etc. etc.

PEAKABOO

Sue L Fri, Aug-26-05 15:00

I tried both baking and frying jicama a few months back after reading the suggestion from George Stella.
My experience was disastrous. I had to throw both attempts away.
I just ate what had not been cooked raw.
I did have really good results roasting turnips though. I cut them into chunks, tossed with a little olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and salt and pepper, roasting them ~400F for 40 minutes, stirring them up occasionally. They were quite good, imo.

PilotGal Sat, Sep-17-05 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydust
Vegetable Cooking Spray
2 ts Vegetable Oil
1 cl Garlic Crushed
3/4 lb Jicama -- peeled and julienned
2 tb Chopped Red Bell Pepper
1/8 ts Paprika
1/8 ts Salt
1/8 ts Pepper
Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray; add oil.
Heat oil over medium heat, add garlic, jicama & red pepper.
Sprinkle with seasonings and saute for five minutes; stirring frequently

One question on this recipe: why spray the pan, and then add oil?
I didn't understand these directions. Anyone have a clue?

zajack Sat, Sep-17-05 02:14

Dont know if anyone's tried jicama raw, but it's popular where I am (along with raw asparagus and raw purple turnips) on veggie trays. Raw hicama tastes very much like raw pea pods and are AMAZING!!! Just thought I'd mention it.