Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   heartburn on atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=185970)

skytrance Fri, May-21-04 09:57

heartburn on atkins

ever since i started i have been getting terrible heartburn..has this happened to anyone else?

nowonder Fri, May-21-04 09:59

No, this is not common. Can you post a daily menu, maybe we can pick up a trouble spot? Perhaps you aren't getting enough water?

--nw

scorpio381 Fri, May-21-04 10:01

Everything I've ever read here says people have much less heartburn on LC. I've never been bothered with it personally.

bizzarrea Fri, May-21-04 10:06

Personally, my heartburn almost completely stopped! I used to get it 4 - 5 times a day!

Pandora23 Fri, May-21-04 10:06

Maybe there are certain veggies or spices that are causing it for you. Are you eating any fruits yet, I knwo strawberries give my sister really bad heartburn. Maybe you should see your doctor about this.

MyJourney Fri, May-21-04 10:18

my heartburn totally stopped too. not sure what you are eating.

skytrance Fri, May-21-04 10:35

well the only thing i can think of, is i am putting a cesar and garlic dressing on my salads...could that be it??

TAXGURU Fri, May-21-04 10:36

I have to agree with the others. The Heart-burn is history for me. Before LCing, I used pepcid 3 to 4 times a week. I have been doing Atkins for Four Months and have only used one pepcid pill and that was during the first week during induction.

mssusthang Fri, May-21-04 10:40

I get heartburn ... always have. But I will say that I do get it a lot less. Normally only when I eat a lot of food and my stomach is too full.

My dad and his mother have the same type of stomach so I got it from his side of the family.

lynneuk Fri, May-21-04 10:48

Before LC I had heartburn every night. From day one of LCing I"ve never had it again!
I'm sorry, I know this doesn't help you but that is my experience.
Post your usual menu and someone may be able to help.
Good luck.

iwill Fri, May-21-04 10:56

I too have occasional heartburn, but it's not nearly as bad as before going low carb.

dragnlady Fri, May-21-04 11:01

I had to take Prilosec everyday, but since starting on the program, I havent even had to take my meds? its something your eating or you had a underlying problem to begin with? check with your doctor!

DietSka Fri, May-21-04 15:28

I stopped taking my heartburn meds about 2 days into LC-ing. Then about 3 months into it I started feeling it creeping back on me so I started paying more attention to what I eat. I've noticed that too much sour cream does it for me, as do some LC sweets. I cut back on those and I've been fine ever since.

shipto Fri, May-21-04 18:08

Mine stopped for a while but I did get it a few times when I was having some strawberries but it seems to have stopped again.
now that i think about it it stopped again when I upped my fat intake <ponders>.

patricia52 Fri, May-21-04 18:31

I was on prescription medication for heartburn and acid reflux, and I've been able to stop taking the pills since I started Atkins. However, I've been taking Oil of Oregano this week and I've noticed a little heartburn in the afternoon.