Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   How to make an omelet...need help (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=129166)

peiqinglon Fri, Aug-08-03 16:34

How to make an omelet...need help

Okay. So I tried making an omelet last night...needless to say it didn't go so well. My omelet looked more like a pile of egg than anything else. What am I doing wrong?! Here's what I did:

1) Cracked four eggs into a bowl and used a chopstick to mix it up.
2) Put oil into frying pan and let it get warm. Temp set to medium/hot.
3) Poured the eggs in and let it cook...perhaps I tried to turn the egg to early?

I'm still fairly new to cooking, never done it much I always just went out to eat, but figured I could follow atkins better if I did the cooking myself and save some money :D. So if anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :D.

watchit Fri, Aug-08-03 16:50

Sounds like you did it right. Make sure the temp isn't too hot or you'll burn them, and make sure it's not to low or it will take forever for them to cook! Did you try to fold the circle in half, or flip the whole thing over?

RoseTattoo Fri, Aug-08-03 16:59

I am the Omelet Queen. :p Listen up:

Mix the eggs thoroughly in a bowl. Put some olive oil in a small skillet, and heat using the medium setting. When the oil is heated, pour eggs in. Pick the skillet up by the handle and rock gently back and forth over the heat. After a minute or even less, use a spatula to lift up the part of the omelet that is set . Allow the uncooked eggs to run underneath the lifted up part, to the bottom of the pan. Continue rocking the pan gently and repeat the lifting etc. until the entire omelet is lightly cooked. Then flip one half of the omelet over the other half. Let this cook until the bottom is very lightly browned. You're done!

If you want to add fillings, do so before the flipping stage. Make sure the filling is prepared (cut to size) BEFORE you start cooking the omelet, because it cooks very quickly. :)

Enjoy! Some wonderful fillings are mushrooms, spinach and tomato, cream cheese, ricotta cheese, or all of the above.

peiqinglon Fri, Aug-08-03 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTattoo
Allow the uncooked eggs to run underneath the lifted up part, to the bottom of the pan. Continue rocking the pan gently and repeat the lifting etc. until the entire omelet is lightly cooked.

So am I folding it in half or am I just flipping it entirely?

RoseTattoo Fri, Aug-08-03 17:15

When all of the egg (that covers the whole pan) is cooked, use your spatula to flip one half of it over the other half. Then let it cook just a bit more, so you're sure the inside is done.

Wish I could draw a picture--it would explain this much better.

Here, try this link. Maybe this will help clarify my explanation.
http://www.everydaycook.com/recipeb...fast/omelet.htm

peiqinglon Fri, Aug-08-03 17:22

Oooh...i c...I must give it another try then :D Thanks!

kevidona Sat, Aug-09-03 06:52

This is the best way to cook an omelet. I have tried different methods and while on vacation once, I went to a restaraunt that only made omelets and I watched their technique. Break the eggs and stir them up add a couple of tblsp of water. Put butter in your pan, should be at least a 9" pan. Now add the eggs and add cheese or whatever, then put the pan under the broiler. Let the eggs cook and get good and firm. Take out from under the broiler, flip the eggs in half, top with cheese or vegetables and put under the broiler for about a 1/2 a minute longer, then enjoy!!!!

mrschmelz Sat, Aug-09-03 07:48

The last post is correct on an old restaraunt secret. Many breakfest places cook the omelete under the broiler to speed up the process.

Personally with me I just throw everythin in a pan and make one big gooy mess. Who needs a pretty looking omlete? ;)

Annie-Pie Sat, Aug-09-03 08:48

Kevidona
The way I've seen cooks do this is the same as you menitoned: Adding water is one of the keys.

Rose, you gave great filling suggestions! I bet your kitchen smells good in the mornings!

S_Hysmith Sat, Aug-09-03 12:49

I forget where I saw this, but it's been a great success for me. You know those old-style milkshake machines? The ones with the metal cup that fits under a stalk that spins the contents into a froth?

Try putting your eggs, seasonings, cream and a tiny amount of oil into that cup, and whirl for about three minutes.

The omelette turns out so thick and fluffy I sometimes can't fold it at all!

Jeff_IL Fri, Aug-22-03 12:36

I have to agree with most of the methods described here.

The stirring ALOT in a separate bowl before starting to cook is absolutely key. I recommend using a wire whisk. I believe it incorporates alot of air into the mixture which gives it that desirable fluffiness.

I never have flipped and continued to cook. I just never have seen a need for it for the way I cook them.

I usually put most of my topping in right away and cover the omelet pan with a cover. Cook low and slow. (Yes, I know I'm not BBQing, but it works for me)

Once everything it is done, I will then slide in halfway out of the pan onto and a plate and flip the other half over.

I have to also laugh, as mentioned before, sometimes they really do get so fluffy that folding over is difficult.

peiqinglon Fri, Aug-22-03 12:48

I haven't tried doing an omelet in awhile...perhaps i sould try again :D

feather Fri, Aug-29-03 05:20

If my memory serves me well (which it often doesn't), what we have here are 2 distinct omelette cooking methods. Theres the beat it like mad and cook it low and slow, or the light stir add water and lift the edge and let it run under way. I use the 2nd one during the week when I'm in a hurry. It's great with a few herbs too. In the weekend I go out to mum's and she does it the other way, just as good but it takes a lot longer.
The only thing I can add it that if you saute (lightly fry) a few onions, peppers, mushrooms etc before adding the egg its very yummy. Remember that butter burns much quicker than oil, so if you want to cook in butter add some oil too.