Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Avocado qestion... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=84570)

kmwebb1967 Tue, Feb-04-03 09:16

Avocado qestion...

I know that "black" avocados (California) have WAY fewer carbs than the "green" (Florida) avocados...however I have recently noticed in my local stores they are selling MEXICAN avocados that are dark green and a little bigger in size that the black. I have not found any nutritional info on these. Any info would be appreciated!!!!

:wave:

AnnetteW Tue, Feb-04-03 14:09

Are you sure about that? I thought it was the other way around. The Haas have more fat in them than the Florida. Haas taste better in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't worry about which one you eat, they are all ON THE PLAN. I'll keep my eye out on the new ones though.

kmwebb1967 Tue, Feb-04-03 14:15

Teri...everything I have read has said to use the black avocados rather than the green due to a higher carb count. I just wondered about theses "Mexican" avocados because they are not listed anywhere. They are a dark green almost black.

I guess I will go to the produce manager at the store and see what info they may have. If I find out anything I will let you know!

AnnetteW Tue, Feb-04-03 17:43

You're right...I'm thinking in old "lo fat" lingo...LOL. Yes, the carbs are lower. Silly me.

I saw one at the store today, I think at least. It was kind of funny looking and the label said Dominican Rep...but it cost over $2. Big though.

kmwebb1967 Wed, Feb-05-03 11:26

GEEZ!! Now that is an expensive avocado!!!!

They are pretty pricey here too. No avocado groves in Central Ohio....wonder why! :D
My Mom has it made...live in S. Cal. and has 2 trees in her back yard! :mad:

I do love them though! :p

DDMariana Wed, Feb-05-03 11:40

One of my biggest regrets when I first moved to CA is that I did not plant an avocado tree! Yes, they're about 1.79 a piece here and if you don't eat the whole thing in a day or so, it's much.

Next house...hmmm...avocados, lemons, herbs...I can see my garden now...

kmwebb1967 Wed, Feb-05-03 11:57

You need to find a neighbor with a tree and go do a midnight RAID!!!! :D
I find them ON OCCASION here 2/$3. My DH thinks I am nuts for spending even that much...of course he HATES them! (His Loss!)

I sprouted a seed once and had the little tree for about 5 years but it never bore fruit...oh well...I tried!

Skamito Wed, Feb-05-03 12:29

I live in a primarily Hispanic neighborhood and avocados are ALWAYS 2/$3. It's great, I always pick up at least one. I'll bet the ones you're speaking of are similar to Haas. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they taste similar they probably have about the same amount of carbs.

Yum... avocado! :)