Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Question regarding fiber and carbs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=102320)

tlw1970 Thu, May-01-03 07:48

Question regarding fiber and carbs

Hi everybody,

After reading the relevant chapters in Atkins' NDR to get me started in induction, I'm now reading the book cover-to-cover. I just read the part about subtracting the fiber from the total carbs to arrive at a "net carb" or "countable carb" value. Here is my issue:

I was shocked to notice this morning that my sugar-free Metamucil has 5 total carb grams per serving! (and I was using two servings daily.) However, of these, 3 g is "dietary fiber" and 2 g is "soluble fiber." So...Which fiber value do I subtract from the total fiber value to arrive at my "countable" fiber for this product?

I was bummed to see the carb count so high, as I really need this stuff to help me stay regular (along with tons of water, of course). Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Tim

yvonne326 Thu, May-01-03 07:51

Hmmmm. Interesting. I would like to know that answer myself.

paradise Thu, May-01-03 08:14

I would just subtract the dietary fiber number. I think I read somewhere that "soluble fiber" is actually digestible by the body.

DCMark Thu, May-01-03 08:38

Stop using that stuff. There are 0 carb alternatives, such as psylium husks. They are generally not available at regular grocery stores, but Fresh Fields/Whole Foods does carry them.

SandyDown Thu, May-01-03 08:51

I've been using psylium husks for a couple of daus but it's causes bloating etc, I found out today that a spoon of dried coconut is the best fibre source, it has 1.03g carbs, you can sprinkle it on your salad etc.

fairchild Thu, May-01-03 09:47

My husks

I have been using the phyllium husks for a week and life has improved for me.
I am not sure if I am bloated and if I am there is still fat under there and thats my main concern !!
It says on the label:
Dietary Fiber 4.5 gram-
soluble fiber 3.5 gram
insoluble fiber 1.0 gram
Total Carbs: 4.5 grams

So the total carbs are all fiber- the label also says "The carbohydrate in this product is primarily non-digestible fiber; digestible carbohydrate is less than 1/2 gram per serving.

All that being transcribed I think we cant even count the insoluble fiber in total as a carb.

SO chances are your carb intake remains at like .5 or something-
Call them and ask !

Crimson Thu, May-01-03 09:49

the bloating goes away once it does it's thing. From my experience with the husks, anyway. I've been thinking of switching over myself... the husks are so expensive, and I have to take so many (tablets) in a day to get results. I wouldn't have a problem adding 1 or 2 carbs just to get the results I want :)

the coconut sounds wicked! Thanx for the tip!

paradise Thu, May-01-03 11:57

Oops! I was Wrong!

I found a post by Natrushka, where she says,

Quote:
Both soluble and insoluble fiber pass right through the body and do not negatively effect insulin levels

So to answer your question, maybe you subtract both soluble and insoluble fibers? Sorry, couldn't be of more help.

LCBarbara Thu, May-01-03 13:38

I take one teaspoon of psyllium husks before bedtime with a glass of water. That's all it takes. Sure does help keep things 'regular'. :p I was starting to have some 'retention' problems until I discovered psyllium husks!

Instead of stirring it into the water to drink, which is completely vile, I got some empty gelatin capsules and filled them. Now I just pop about 4 of them and let them work their magic! :roll:

I was counseled that husks don't impact insulin and don't bother to count any carbs for them.

erbadger Thu, May-01-03 15:16

Souble vs insuluble!

Just to clear up the fiber issue, you can subtract both soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber is the stuff found in fruits like apples and in non-roufage veggies (avacados etc) and some grains. Your body needs both kinds, and neither have a caloric value. The majority of fiber you eat is insoluble, but the sluble stuff I believe is the one which helps bind triglycerides thus decreasing your "bad" cholesteral. (LDL)

BTW, I think metamucil works fine, it just tastes icky, and you have that nasty cup of gunk if you forget to rinse it out right away!!!