Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   yeast issues (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=131650)

Carbno Tue, Aug-19-03 14:26

yeast issues

HELP!!
I'm having way too many problems with yeast. It seems I cannot get it to proof. I have tried many methods many times. This morning I used
Fleshmans Rapid Rise (highly activated), for use with a bread machine.(I've also tried packet-types)
My only success is when I proof it according to the directions--
1/4 cup water 90-100 degrees, add 1 tsp sugar, add 2 1/4 tsp
yeast. It bubbles great!!
However when I used 1 1/8 cup water, same temp specs, add sugar
and then yeast and mis well I only got about 3/8 to 1/2 inch bubbles and some foam on top... ( for Gabe's World Famous Bread)
I constantly monitored the water temperature...
I'm thinking about making a trip to the Amish bulk to try some of their
yeast... I went through 1/2 jar this morning alone.
I've never had this problem before--but it's been about 10 years since I
baked a little bread the old fashioned way.
The web sites for yeast have not helped me as of yet...
I'll take any and all tips... Thank you!!!

KrystineAU Mon, Aug-25-03 00:04

I used yeast this morning. It was dried and came in little sachets. I used one sachet with 1 tsp sugar and 1 and 1/8 cup "baby bottle warm" water. It had foam on the top and it bubbled slightly... I used it and the bread still doubled in size, so I figured if it works, don't fix it....

Good luck with yours... I was baking Gabi's Bread.

Krystine.

Carbno Mon, Aug-25-03 19:44

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer.
I'm starting to think that there is something wrong with the heating element. I love the taste of Gabe's so much that even though
it didn't hardly rise I still nibbled it. he rest of the loaves I dried, ground up and use as bread crumbs. I just made a stuffed zucchinni and my husband said it was delicious.
Anyway, with the new recipe I accidentally hit the off button,
so I took that dough and put it in a warm oven and it rose!
idn't watch my timing too good however and it rose too much before I puched it down.
The second rise was not the best and at the end the bread fell-but at least I had some normal rising!!!
The perfect loaf (same recipe) in the bread machine rose about the
same (only 1/2)...as before.
I'll be trying again but iit's been too hot for the oven the last few days.
But you have given me positive hope!!!
Thanks again!

KrystineAU Mon, Aug-25-03 20:35

Well, sounds like you are getting there in the 'yeast issues' department. Yeah, my bread didn't rise as much as I wanted, and I wondered if a bread machine would make any difference... after what you wrote, I'm thinking 'maybe not'. The next time I make the loaf I am hoping it will be better - as I did not have manual instructions, just bread machine - so I just tried to adapt it. Now I have the manual instructions so hopefully we'll get better results.

Krystine.

(ps: nice to know people actually reply on this board ) :)

Carbno Thu, Aug-28-03 18:19

Today, I just learned another new one...there are
different brands & suppliers of vital wheat gluten of
course--but all are not equal. Bob's is around
75-80% (approx).--no wonder Gabi's bread says that her best results are using this brand. Another vital wheat gluten at the health food was store 50-55% (less expensive). And because the Amish store listed only Wheat Gluten on the bulk bag I thought I was safe... I bought some of Bob's today and plan to start again...
Also RE: some of my first yeast proofing problems-
it seems that I can mix dough in the bread machine
but not get much of a rise...
I can mix in the machine and let rise in the oven
and it more than doubles ( I guess I waited too
long) After baking it didn't hold the size though...
Anyway, finally with Bob's I expect better results
this next week. I'm not bragging nor nor am I complaining-but this next will be my 8th loaf and I hope I'm done with this experimenting stage on
Gabi's.
Regarding: bread machine rapid rise-highly activated yeast-
When you proof this as recommended-how much foam and how many bubbles do you get?
I was working with dry yeast and got many more
bubbles and less foam...
Thank you.

Carbno Sun, Sep-07-03 12:18

Hello again...my yeast problems turned out to be not a problem...the bread machine I was using was actually killing the yeast by not maintaining a stable temperature. I let the machine knead the dough and then baked the loaf in the oven and finally had my first loaf of good bread!! Also, in proofing I found out that that just a little faom with a few bubbles was good enough ( all that yeast I kept throwing out). And also the vital wheat gluten
I was buying was only around 50%-55% protein content. It's been a long haul for me...

KrystineAU Sun, Sep-07-03 16:59

congrats on your final success