Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Da Vinci Syrup - One expensive cup of coffee! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=147764)

Nicckkii Sun, Nov-09-03 08:40

Da Vinci Syrup - One expensive cup of coffee!

Good Morning Folks :roll:

I got some Da Vinci syrup recently, I thought it could be a good replacement for Splenda as it doesn't have the carbs but I have to use too much of it to equal the sweetness of 3 packs of splenda, almost 2 ounces (1.5) at a time. Works out to about 90 cents (plus about 20 cents a cup for shipping) that's way too expensive. Makes good coffee tho.

The bottle says 1/2 oz for a cup but that's just barely sweet and I have to use more to get the taste I want. Does anyone have any suggestions for a non-nutritive, zero carb alternative I can get online without paypal?

Nicckkii

Plagiomom Sun, Nov-09-03 11:43

I can totally relate to your frustration! I love my coffee, and it's the one thing I refused to give up. The only problem though, I wasn't a real coffee drinker - I was a creamer drinker (like those international creamers) and the coffee just gave me the added caffine. I started using the Da Vinci syrups instead of creamer and I agree, they are expensive if you have to use a lot. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you. I just used less and waited it out and now I'm used to my coffee this way and too much tastes disgustingly sweet.

Maybe use a packet of splenda with the Da Vinci Syrup? This way you get a very sweet taste, with some added flavor and it's only 1 carb?

Sorry I couldn't help more!

~Jaya

Athena123 Sun, Nov-09-03 21:21

If you have Marshall's or TJ Maxx near you, they sell the DaVinci syrups in the "gourmet" section. They're $5.99/bottle and you save on shipping. The only problem is you have to take whatever flavors they have. They don't stock many flavors, and the flavors aren't always the same. I always find something I like though.

Nicckkii Mon, Nov-10-03 09:03

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion Jaya, it's actually a good way to save a little on the cost per cup. And congrats on finding that hard thing on the back of your neck! :lol

Athena, I'm in Jamaica we don't have Marshall's or TJ Maxx and the health food store here hasn't got any so I have to have most of my stuff shipped in.

Nicckkii

upncomer Mon, Nov-10-03 10:38

Wow, it must be me, but I can only put like a half of a teaspoon of syrup in my coffee - I think it is TOO sweet!

Nicckkii Mon, Nov-10-03 12:13

Lol, Darla, you are so fortunate. I guess you've got your carbohydrate addiction under control. Lucky girl. :). I can only hope to achieve such greatness.

Nicckkii

Atkins4myW Mon, Nov-10-03 20:52

Nicckki, I have to ask when you did your induction did you follow the rules and limit your sweeteners to 3 servings a day of all sweetened products? That will help you get control of the sugar cravings you are feeding with your syrup. After doing induction clean I was amazed at the sweetness in my veggies and a packet of sweetenern was too sweet for me.

Look in the healthfood stores for stevia. it can be used as a sweetener and is 0 carb. it comes in liquid or powder. Make sure you read the packages. there are two chems in it and you want the good one to be very high in % in the brand you buy. if you use too much of it it will give your coffee a licorish taste.

Happy low carbing to you.

DerBlumers Tue, Nov-11-03 00:24

I suggest Stevia as well....get stevia extract powder or liquid stevia because those aren't cut with fillers...then use just a little at a time...it's incredibly sweet. It's true..if you use too much, you'll have that licorice aftertaste....(I hate licorice..) My bottle of the white extract says a serving size is 1/32 to 1/16 tsp.....that would equal the amount of an entire tsp of sugar!!

Good luck!! :sunny:

Nicckkii Tue, Nov-11-03 09:42

Thanks for the info and advice. I actually have the stevia powder at home it's green. I got it from the Health Food Store some time ago but have never tried it because I didn't like the taste of the Stevia in the little packets. That tasted yucky.

But I will put some in my coffee tonight and see how that works.

Nicckkii

PS: In my first six weeks on this WOE I didn't even have coffee and by week 4 I had cut out the one splenda sweetened soda that I used to have daily. I have until a few weeks ago been fairly sweet free.

Wenzday Tue, Nov-11-03 11:19

I agree with you about the impossible task of getting coffee sweet enough...lol I tried Atkins vanilla syrup and thats not sweet at all....3 pkts of splenda id fine but too many carbs especially since finding out Folgers is 3 carbs per serving even decaf! YIKES!!! so my 3 serving size mug plus the half and half plus the splenda and there's half my day..ugh!

I KNOW you can buy liquid splenda which had ZERO carbs...ask on another board and you'll find it!!!

Athena123 Fri, Nov-21-03 07:27

You can get the "liquid splenda" atlowcarber.com. It's not exactly liquid splenda since it's not as concentrated, but it is VERY sweet. It's a little pricey at first glance($17.99 US+ shipping), but since you only use a few drops per cup of coffee or tea, it's really a good deal. In the long run it's cheaper than packets of splenda.
From site:
8oz bottle equals the sweetness of 32 cups of sugar
4 drops = 1 tsp of sugar sweetness
1.5 tsp = 1 cup of sugar sweetness

That is a saving of over 768 carbs over the equivelant amount of powdered artificial sweetener. And on average a savings of $40.85 over 50 ct or 2 cup bulk boxes of powdered sweeteners.

I just got mine the other day in the mail and have made mock danish and peanut butter cups with it. Tasted really good in both and saved me carbs. The shipping time was a little long, about 2 1/2 weeks, but to me it was worth it.

Nicckkii Fri, Nov-21-03 08:38

Thanks Wenzday and Athena. I tried that website (lowcarber.com) but at checkout the only payment option was paypal. Foiled again alas. :(

Nicckkii