Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Need more protein!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=97418)

bellybgone Tue, Apr-08-03 12:23

Need more protein!!

Could you guys give me tips on how to increase my protein in the morning? The rest of the day is fine, but I can only eat so much cheese and eggs!! I don't really mind eating the eggs because I LOVE them-
I'll make an Italian kind with sweet peppers, olives, mozza and a little olive oil -
I'll make a Mexican kind with salsa and cheddar and jalapenos-
I'll make ham and cheese and vegetarian omelots, etc...
but my protein is low and I don't want to necessarily have to gourge myself later to get in enough protein for the day.
I'm trying to keep my numbers as close to 65% fat/5% carb/30% protein, but my protein is consistenly 24-28%.
Any suggestions???? (other than a protein powder? :Puke: )
Thanks! :wave:
Kris

Elihnig Tue, Apr-08-03 12:26

I'd say your protein percentages are fine. Fat could go up.

70-75% fat, 20-25% protein, 5% carbs

If you really want to do protein powder Designer Whey Chocolate is good. I'm mixing it with yogurt or ricotta cheese but my carb levels are higher for weight lifting right now.

Beth

lkonzelman Tue, Apr-08-03 12:28

I add meats or shrimp on my salads
pecans, walnuts or almonds sometimes as snacks
I make homemade protein bars
I like microwaved pepperoni crisps as a treat

I guess what it comes down to is I try to do is incorporate some protein in every meal or snack.

Your protein percentage sounds about right though... what goal did you have?

I think the key is more are you losing weight and do you feel good because trying to get specific percentages may not be how your body enjoys food the best and you want to do this long term not a frustrating short term.

Making sense???

atiaran Tue, Apr-08-03 12:29

You could try low carb muffins. I usually use the Atkins brand and put half in the fridge and freeze the other half - since I usually don't want to eat muffins 12 days in a row!

The chocolate flavor is pretty good.

Katana Tue, Apr-08-03 12:37

I don't really focus on how much, when - morning is tough for me too, because I don't actually like eating in the morning.

I usually eat a hard boiled egg, or some cottage cheese. And still, the plan works fine for me - the weight comes rolling off, as long as I don't replace fat and protein with carbs, no matter how much (or little!) I eat in the morning.

If you really feel you need to get more variety in the morning, I would consider eating foods you wouldn't normally consider breakfast food - there is no rule that says eggs = morning. In Israel, for example, a typical breakfast would include cheeses, yogurt and fresh veggies!

So have some tuna or egg salad, smoked fish, salami, or whatever else you like to eat.

black57 Tue, Apr-08-03 12:48

A little tofu

I know people think it is gross, but only when you know it's in there. It packs a good dose of protein and you won't detect it with all the other stuf you put in your eggs. Read the packages carefully some have up to 2 grams of carbs while others add 0 carbs. Or add low carb nut butters on your toast. Speaking of toast, low carb breads are generally higher in protein.

Voila more protein.

Black57

bellybgone Wed, Apr-09-03 09:12

I think I'll give the tofu a try-
You're right, I've eaten it before in a stir fry for lunch at a Food Co-op cafe and didn't mind it. But I've had trouble buying it because it looks so weird in its package!! I think I could sneak it in here and there though...
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Kris