Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   pumpkin cheesecake recipe (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=70327)

MayLisa Tue, Nov-12-02 09:16

Need pumpkin cheesecake recipe

I need a killer, no-fail, low-carb pumpkin cheesecake recipe and crust. This is my first Thanksgiving since I started lo-carbing. I am going to my sister-in-laws, and must bring at least one dessert I can eat and that no one else will make. Can someone please help make my Thanksgiving a little sweeter? Thanks!
:wave:

Karen Tue, Nov-12-02 10:01

Here 'ya go!

Pumpkin Cheesecake
Makes 1 8-inch (20 cm) cheesecake

Make sure that you get the canned pumpkin, not the canned pumpkin pie filling. The pie filling contains sugar.

1/2 cup hazelnuts, roasted
1/2 cup almonds, roasted
1 Tbsp. dried ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 tsp. Splenda
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg white

1 3/4 lbs. cream cheese, at room temperature
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
2/3 cup Splenda
1/2 tsp. dried ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
4 large eggs

Line the bottom of and 8-inch (20 cm) springform pan with parchment paper and butter the sides and bottom of the pan. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).

In a food processor, pulse the nuts until they are finely ground but with a few large pieces here and there. Pulse in the ginger, cinnamon, sweeteners, and butter. Beat the egg white until foamy but not stiff and pulse into the nuts. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 10-12 minutes until crisp.

In a food processor, or with an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese until smooth. Add the pumpkin, sweeteners and spices. And mix until incorporated. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-45 minutes until the cake is barely jiggly in the center. Remove from the oven and run a knife around the outside of the cake. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.

Karen

MayLisa Tue, Nov-12-02 12:03

Thank you, Karen. This sounds wonderful! I will let you know how it comes out.

MayLisa Tue, Nov-12-02 12:07

Just one question, Karen. Should I bake the cheesecake in a water bath?

nkd2662 Fri, Nov-15-02 11:17

Cupcakes

Karen:

How can I change this recipes to make cupcakes?

thanks!

:wave:

ginkirk Wed, Nov-20-02 15:38

How would I alter this recipe for a 10 inch springform pan? I don't think I have an 8 inch. Would it just be thinner, or what?

Thanks so much for this post. I came to this forum looking for just this recipe! :)

wangeci Wed, Nov-20-02 16:23

Karen,

I also only have a 10 inch pan,,,,can we just cook it a bit longer but still to the same consistancy? Or should we lower the heat then cook it longer?
Thanks
Cindy

Karen Wed, Nov-20-02 17:24

Quote:
can we just cook it a bit longer but still to the same consistancy?

You would cook it for less time because it is much thinner. Make sure it is still jiggly in the middle. It may take only 25 minutes or so.

Karen

wangeci Tue, Nov-26-02 14:57

Thank you for the help Karen. I am planning on making this either tonight or tomorrow night to devour over the long Thanksgiving weekend. I so appreciate your wonderful recipes and all the help you give us all in creating them for our families.

Cindy

wangeci Wed, Nov-27-02 11:40

Okay, I made this last night, using a bit more nuts also so the crust still was a nice crust. I just kind of threw it all in though so I do not have measurements. However, I baked it for 30 minutes and it turned out great. I have not yet tasted it yet, but the consistancy looks perfect and the batter was super yummy...... Lunch time we will be munching on it today.
Cindy

OKay,,,I tried it at lunch :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
Doesn't say enough, this is the bestest one yet...

MayLisa Fri, Nov-29-02 08:54

Karen: just wanted to tell you that I made this cheesecake for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit. It was actually the first cheesecake that I've ever made, and I was surprised and delighted that it came out so well. Despite their initial misgivings about trying a 'low-carb' cheesecake, my family all really enjoyed it. And actually, except for the artificial sweetner, it is a REAL CHEESECAKE in every other way. The crust was scrumptious! Thanks again!

Karen Fri, Nov-29-02 09:52

Thank you to both of you!

I'm happy to have contributed to your Thanksgiving celebrations. :D

Karen

Sandylee Fri, Nov-29-02 10:34

Oh, Karen, that sounds yummy!

My teenage daughter would love that! I think I will try it today, the day after Thanksgiving, even though I am still stuffed from yesterday ;)

When I used to make nut crusts for my cheesecakes in the high carb days I used butter and matzoh meal as a binder, but I like the sound of egg whites; seems a little lighter.

Thanks for being an ongoing inspiration,
Sandy

AzureMoon Tue, Nov-25-03 08:35

Bump... so it will be easier to find...

:roll:

AzureMoon Wed, Nov-26-03 23:06

Karen,

I made the cheesecake tonight, to be served tomorrow at my in-laws. This is my first cheesecake and it looks pretty good except it has cracked on top. Is this normal for a cheesecake? Is there anything to be done to prevent it in the future?

The crack isn't very deep so I'm not going to obsess about it, just curious if it can be prevented.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Cheers