Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [BFL] New: have some questions for all y'all experts! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138541)

Cindy007 Sun, Sep-21-03 16:20

New: have some questions for all y'all experts!

Hi. I have a few more questions about lifting. The first one is regarding the leg press. I had always thought that worked more of the glutes and hamstrings...he lists it for quads...do I need to make the seat less reclined to work the quads more? I usually keep the seat as leaned back as it will go.

Next question is about dead lifts. Never done them before. What is a good weight to start with? They seemed somewhat easy while I was doing them but my legs are pretty shakey now so I'm confused.

Last question is about abs. How do you do the 12-10-8,etc when doing crunches? You're not adding weight so do you still drop the reps? I used a weighted crunch machine so I didn't have that problem but there are floor exercised I'd like to incorporate and I don't know how to handle this.

Thanx for all the help! I'm so excited to be doing this!

--Cindy

wcollier Sun, Sep-21-03 17:44

Hi Cindy:

I'm not expert, but here are some of my thoughts.

Quote:
I have a few more questions about lifting. The first one is regarding the leg press. I had always thought that worked more of the glutes and hamstrings...he lists it for quads...do I need to make the seat less reclined to work the quads more? I usually keep the seat as leaned back as it will go.

The following link is a directory of exercises: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
The leg press is listed under quads.

Quote:
Next question is about dead lifts. Never done them before. What is a good weight to start with? They seemed somewhat easy while I was doing them but my legs are pretty shakey now so I'm confused.

I increased my weight on the deadlifts for the same reason, but I started out slow to gauge how much I could increase without hurting myself TOO much. When you're lifting the weight, make sure to contract your hamstrings. Even at lighter weight you should feel it. Also make sure you're still contracting on the way down.

Quote:
Last question is about abs. How do you do the 12-10-8,etc when doing crunches? You're not adding weight so do you still drop the reps? I used a weighted crunch machine so I didn't have that problem but there are floor exercised I'd like to incorporate and I don't know how to handle this.

Check out the following link: Ab Myths - Focused intensity is the key and believe me, your abs will be screaming!!!

Good luck Cindy!
Wanda

Cindy007 Sun, Sep-21-03 17:53

Thanx for the links Wanda...very helpful! I can't wait to try the abs now just varying my internal intensity!

--Cindy

LadyBelle Sun, Sep-21-03 18:55

Alot of the exercises are compound, in they work more then one muscle group. I think that's why we never work our glutes, it is assumed they get work as a biproduct of the other groups.

What was recomended on here is for your main exercise do a compound one, then for that last set of 12 at level 10, switch to an isolate exercise to really punch the muscle. I've found though that some exercises only have compound or isolate. For the quads the only isolate I've seen is sissy squates, and there is no way I am doing that to my knees. Not to mention self esteem when everyone laughs at me falling on my arse :)

wcollier Sun, Sep-21-03 20:41

Hi Ladybelle:

Quote:
For the quads the only isolate I've seen is sissy squates, and there is no way I am doing that to my knees.

I hear ya on the knee issue!! I thought Leg extensions are an isolated exercise for the quads. That's what I do for my "10" so I hope it is. ;)

Oh... that exercise link above shows isolated exercises in italics and leg extensions are considered isolated. Phew! Thought I might have to change my program AGAIN.

Wanda

Natrushka Mon, Sep-22-03 07:55

Wanda, leg extensions are great finishing exercises - they really work on creating the definition in the quads. Angling your toes in or out will also help change exactly where you hit that muscle.

Cindy, depending on where you place your feet you can target the quads, hammies, glutes or calves on the leg press - it's a very versatile exercise.

Nat