Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Budget...is it possible (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=78180)

delraelynn Sat, Jan-04-03 12:02

Budget...is it possible

I was on atkins about 3 years ago...successfully losing 40 lbs, but it got really expensive. We are now on a VERY tight budget (allowing only about $100-150 per month for groceries). Is low carbing even possible on this kind of a budget? We both want to lose weight, but we need to find the diet plan that works for our budget as well as our bodies. Thanks for any input.

bob Sat, Jan-04-03 14:07

Hmm...who was it in here that said...

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I know the specialty foods put out by Atkins and others are a bit expensive, but you can eat LC without buying those. Here are a few thoughts and suggestions. I'm sure you can think of more.

1. Grow your own veggies. Eating more natural, real foods can only be good for you.

2. On an LC diet you don't need to keep your fat intake down, so buy cheaper cuts of meat instead of the more expensive, leaner meats.

3. Splenda is a bit expensive, but equal or a store brand atrificial sweetner will work just fine.

4. A lot of the same Ideas for non-LC food shopping will work just as well for us. Use coupons, shop the sales, etc.

5. Don't let a tight budget stop you from eating this way. If you believe in it as much as many of us do, you know it's the best thing for your health now and always. Poor health is a lot more expensive than eating right...both financially and otherwise.
Good Luck.
Bob :roll: :roll: :roll:

acipenser Sat, Jan-04-03 14:10

I just went shopping and my grocery bill was $165.00. That is to feed 2adults full time and 2 kids part time. And that was not really using the cupons i usually do. It will probably last a little over a month and we usually go out to eat about once a week.

You can do it, it just takes some planning. Shop the sales, use coupons and buy generic brands. Also watch for family packs of stuff and then break them apart and freeze in individual servings.

good luck.

skywind Sat, Jan-04-03 14:47

Just a comment--Equal or other store-brand artificial sweeteners may be cheaper, but they are NOT equivalent to Splenda. Equal (the blue packets) is aspartame, which may stall some folks big time. Saccharin (the pink packets) is also not recommended on Atkins. Splenda is sucralose, and it is the recommended artificial sweetener. Yes, it's more expensive, but this is probably not the best place to try to save money.

HButterfly Sat, Jan-04-03 15:00

I think that it is very possible. I have 2 adults and 6 kids and we spend about $300/ month on groceries in Canada. Soap, diapers and other non groceries are extra though.

We eat mostly all natural food, no prepacked lowcarb bars or shakes.

We eat plenty of meat, because I have a large family I buy the bulk packages of meat which is also less expensive per pound. The meat is probably at least half of the budget. When the Christmas turkey's are on sale I buy a few of them and freeze them. We can eat an entire turkey in one sitting with no leftovers!

We rarely eat out, because we have 6 kids it is at least $40 even at Mcdonalds.

The kids snack on fruit, vegetables and cheese. Nothing fancy and they do fine, as do I.

I am the only one low carbing, but because I am the one cooking I think that I am gradually reducing everyone's carbs, which in my opinion is cheaper.

I buy the artificial sweetener, which I rarely use because I no longer crave sweets. It cost me $3.99 and lasts me about 3-4 weeks. The $3.99 does not affect my budget enough to worry about.

HButterfly Sat, Jan-04-03 15:33

Also we do not drink soda or juice, only water. Which is much less expensive. I have always given the kids water to drink since they were young (before LC) and they satisfy their thirst that way.

I was just thinking, whenever we have friends over to our house, the other children always ask for juice or or soda and are turned off by drinking water. It seems that as a society in general, we have trained our children to expect anything other than water. Even my own mother always served real orange juice instead of water because it was "healthy" I imagine.

I was never a milk drinker, even now the thought of drinking a glass of milk makes my stomach turn. My kids don't drink much milk either, but I do use a spoonful of real cream in my coffee. 6 kids and 2 adults and we use about 1-2 liters of milk a week.

Simply, enjoy your water.

Lisa N Sat, Jan-04-03 16:50

With smart shopping, I'd imagine it's possible to low carb on that type of budget, especially only feeding two people. You really don't need things like the expensive low carb goodies or even cheese, really. Just fresh meats and veggies. You can often get frozen or canned veggies on sale.
If you get lots of chicken (whole is cheaper than already cut up), and cheaper cuts of meat or buy meats on sale, you can really stretch that grocery dollar. Eggs are a protein bargain; one of the local groceries this week was selling extra large eggs for 59 cents a dozen! Use your crock pot on the cheaper cuts of meat...they come out juicy and tender that way. Take advantage of meat sales and stock up if you have a freezer.
So...if you're willing to do a simple version of low carb, it's possible to do it on a budget.

deb_o Sun, Jan-05-03 00:29

Have you thought about shopping at one of those places like Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's? Their meats are a lot cheaper than at the grocery store! So are their vegetables. You could buy those in bulk, then blanch and freeze whatever your family can't eat right away (as opposed to letting it spoil since there is so much).
I spend about $150. to $175, a week feeding 3 adults and 2 teenage boys. Nonfoods household supplies also are in that bill. Of course, I use coupons and get a 10% discount because I work there full time and that helps!

JeepGuy Sun, Jan-05-03 00:40

One word...FoodSaver!

I got myself a FoodSaver vacuum sealer and it's the best investment I could have made. I buy lots of meat in bulk at Costco and freeze it in meal-sized packs.

It's one of those things that pays for itself over time.

ChuckP Sun, Jan-05-03 15:53

Just a comment on budgets and L'cing. I don't buy the gimmick foods like the ATKINS candy bars and things. They are just not for me. I figure if I just "get off" the sugary stuff.. it will be better. If I eat the "fake" candy and such,.. I just end up wanting the real thing. So I don't spend the $$ on those items.

Plus... I am not buying the chips, ice cream, cakes, donuts, potatos, box meals, frozen convenience foods and things that I did before,.. they tend to drive up a grocery bill. So the money goes for things I really want like SPLENDA,.. diet sodas w/o aspartame..and nice steaks and seafood.

I don't see a lot of difference in the $$ I spend L'cing.