Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Why would the shakes cause a stall? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=174863)

javamel Thu, Mar-25-04 13:30

Why would the shakes cause a stall?

Hello everyone...

I have been reading so many posts by people who say that "the shakes and the bars" cause stalls. Now, I know that the bars have sugar alcohols in them which are absorbed differently by different people and, therefore, may mislead people into thinking they are eating less carbs than they really are. BUT, the shakes, to my knowledge, do not have sugar alcohols in 'em. I am willing to accept the "shakes cause stalls" theory, but was hoping to find someone out there who can tell me why this happens, or if it is more of a rumor. I suppose it is possible that many who drink the shakes also eat the bars (not me, though). In that case, I guess it would be logical to think that both are no-nos. Are there people out there who do fine with the shakes? Hmm...just curious because it seems that I am losing with them. Thanks in advance!

RCFletcher Thu, Mar-25-04 13:38

I think it's better to buy some good designer whey powder and some unsweetened soy milk and make your own shakes.

javamel Thu, Mar-25-04 13:41

I agree that it may be better, but why? I am a curious kind of gal, and am just wondering why, if the stuff in 'em is ok, why are they bad or stall culprits? Some here on this forum say they are ok, others vehemently say to avoid them like the plague. I am just wondering what about them in particular is so bad....

HogarthNH Thu, Mar-25-04 13:43

javamel:

You're correct. It's simple paranoia.

Most of the Ready-to-Drink shakes do not contain sugar alcohols and are absolutely fine. (Carb Solutions brand contain erythritol, if I recall.)

Powdered shake mixes are more likely to contain sugar alcohols. (And are nasty, IMHO.)

I like an Atkins shake every morning between Breakfast and Lunch and it's never slowed me down.

H

allibaba Thu, Mar-25-04 14:00

I have been asking this same question for months and no one seems to know the answer. Everyone just says "stay away, they're bad". I'd love to know :D

Alli

Bipley Thu, Mar-25-04 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamel
I agree that it may be better, but why? I am a curious kind of gal, and am just wondering why, if the stuff in 'em is ok, why are they bad or stall culprits? Some here on this forum say they are ok, others vehemently say to avoid them like the plague. I am just wondering what about them in particular is so bad....

Javamel...

I'm with you, I like to understand the "why" reasons as well. I want to know why, how, where, the works.

Twilight Thu, Mar-25-04 14:09

I used the shakes after the first week of induction and while they taste great, I found that I started feeling very fatigued and worn out much of the time. The shakes do contain maltodextrin, which is a sugar that some say doesn't have any impact on blood sugar, but I've read in various places that it can indeed make an impact. Maybe it just depends on the person. I haven't had a shake in a few days and can tell a real difference, but I can't say for sure that they were the cause of my fatigue. My guess is that with some people, any amount of sugar can cause adverse reactions - including stalls.

CindyG Thu, Mar-25-04 14:19

I think the shakes are ok too. I use them as meal replacements for breakfast a couple times a month. If I liked them more than I do, I'd probably have them more frequently.

I have to say that this is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) kind of thing. Some folks are really into doing "pure" Atkins wth only whole foods, and others find the shakes (and bars and sf candies) to be helpful. The only way to find out how they affect you is to try them.

My guess about the reason they are so frequently discouraged, is that some new folks use them alot, don't follow the full plan and then can't figure out why it's not working for them and it's an easy thing to cut out to see if that improves your results.

IMO - You have to do what works for you. If shakes work and you still lose, great!

javamel Thu, Mar-25-04 14:26

Maltodextrin is the very last ingredient, and the nutrition label lists 1g of sugars. Here are the nutritional facts and ingredients (chocolate royale flavor). The ingredients are mostly vitamins/minerals. So, I still wonder why they are so maligned.

Total Fat 9 g 14%
Saturated Fat 2 g 10%

Cholesterol 15 mg 5%

Sodium 170 mg 7%

Potassium 850 mg 24%

Total Carbohydrate 6 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 4 g 16%
Sugars 1 g %

Protein 20 g 40%

Biotin 30%
Calcium 40%
Chromium 15%
Copper 20%
Folic Acid 30%
Iodine 30%
Iron 25%
Magnesium 25%
Manganese 25%
Molybdenum 15%
Niacin 30%
Pantothenic Acid 30%
Phosphorus 40%
Riboflavin 30%
Selenium 20%
Thiamin 30%
Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin B12 30%
Vitamin B6 30%
Vitamin C 30%
Vitamin E 30%
Vitamin K 30%
Zinc 30%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.

Ingredients:
Ingredients: Water, calcium caseinate, soy oil, cocoa (processed with alkali), whey protein concentrate, cellulose gel, contains 0.5% or less of the following: natural and artificial flavor, cellulose gum, soy lecithin, carrageenan, sucralose (splendaŽ brand a non-nutritive sweetener), magnesium chloride, magnesium phosphate, potassium phosphate, tricalcium phosphate, D-biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, folic acid, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium ascorbate, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin B12, riboflavin, vitamin E acetate, vitamin K1, chromium chloride, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, potassium chloride, potassium citrate, potassium iodide, sodium citrate, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite, zinc sulfate

Dewi Thu, Mar-25-04 14:33

I use the shakes as meal replacements too, like for breakfast. When the weather get warmer I will make decaf coffee and add ice and the powdered Cauppuccinno mix ,some heavy cream and splenda then blend again pour out and top with whip cream, to make my version of a frappaccino. I would have this every other day as my breakfast.

KristyC Thu, Mar-25-04 14:33

The shakes do not stall me at all. The bars do, however. I love the shakes!

Ohio Kim Thu, Mar-25-04 14:35

I think most people begin using shakes, bars, etc., as they move there way through the Atkins process. At some point, most of us reach a stall or begin loosing weight at a snail's pace. Perhaps, we are so desperately looking for the "cause" of our stalls, and the only possible culprits are the the new "fake" products. Perhaps it is all coincidence.

Not very scientific... but a new twist on things. :)

killamira Thu, Mar-25-04 15:13

i agree some with kim. also with the fact that everyone is so different and you just have to find what works for you. I lov the bars, and the shakes are good to have a round. but that is me, i am losing even using some of the low carb foods even when i was in introduction.

cmcole Thu, Mar-25-04 16:27

I guess I avoid them because I like to chew my meal, rather than just swallow it in a gulp.

But that's personal, and has nothing to do with you and your choices.

I do, however, like the idea of using protein powder and creating my own - because then I'm only buying one thing, not two (and protein powder has many uses)

freckles Thu, Mar-25-04 16:45

I've used the shakes except for during induction...I use the Carb Solutions choco powder for breakfasts a couple times a week at home and the EAS Carb Control strawberry ready to drink for a take-along snack so I won't get stuck somewhere hungry. They have not caused me any problems.

Maybe the scientific reason behind why they stall some people is as simple as why I gain weight when I eat cottage cheese. (I don't know why I do, but someone probably does.) It's probably some sort of a food intolerance more than it is the actual shakes themselves. Everyone has triggers...I have heard one person who said they can not tolerate tomatoes and onions. Some people are allergic to eggs and they cause problems. I don't know....just a thought.