Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   SPICES and Carbs - Do YOU count them?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=164383)

JustForFun Tue, Feb-03-04 14:25

SPICES and Carbs - Do YOU count them??

Hello everyone,

After entering my daily menus into Fitday for the last week, I have begun wondering about the "need" to enter spices (i.e. salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, etc.) into the mix as well.

According to fitday, some of the spices and seasonings DO add some carbs, but I am wondering what everyone here does concerning this area. I may only add a "dash" here and there, but I am wondering if adding them all together is increasing my total signinficantly. I don't want to "cheat", as it were, on induction and miss some carbs, but I also don't want to use up a substantial portion of the "induction 20" for simple spices. And finally I don't want my food to taste "bland" either. What to do??.

Again, what is YOUR feeling on this??

Thanks to all who reply.

JFF:)

Lindym Tue, Feb-03-04 14:27

That is an interesting question. I have not been entering them either unless it is something like minced garlic and I'm adding enough to measure.

Wenzday Tue, Feb-03-04 14:31

I just dont count them..I know they DO COUNT but I know my fitday isnt exact anyway just keeps me inline.

4beans4me Tue, Feb-03-04 16:27

The only 2 I have ever counted are garlic cloves and if I use large amounts of cinnamon.

MyJourney Tue, Feb-03-04 17:03

I count cinnamon sometimes and garlic powder if I use more than just a dash. I dont really count anything else. I count fresh garlic and onion of course.

I usually leave a gram or 2 left for carbs a day to account for all those hidden carbs in things

Kaillean Tue, Feb-03-04 17:39

I'm with 4beans. I only count garlic cloves. I'm mindful that garlic powder has a lot of carbs, so I don't go crazy with it.

Other than that, I've never counted.

Rogue Tue, Feb-03-04 17:41

I don't count my spices unless I use a LOT of them - which doesn't happen all that often.

doreen T Tue, Feb-03-04 18:44

Most natural green herbs and ground spices and seeds contain a lot of fiber .. I don't usually count them unless I'm using a large amount, such as for curry.

Beware seasoned salts and other prepared spice mixes .. these often contain added carbs and possibly even a bit of hydrogenated oil. I still use them on occasion, but only small amounts.

What, garlic has carbs?? No way!!! :lol:

Doreen

JustForFun Wed, Feb-04-04 13:48

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It appears that I am, too, following the general concensus. I haven't been counting my "dashes" here and there. But I will pay attention to the cinnamon and garlic as noted above.

Thanks again.

JFF :D