Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Stevia Plus (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173877)

Ms Sarah Sat, Mar-20-04 11:01

Stevia Plus

What is this? Is it a sugar, thickener etc???

Is it available in Canada?

I bought low carb cook book a couple of days ago - where ALL recipes in it are under 10 carbs....but alot require SteviaPlus but I don' know what to heck it is.

Help!

MyJourney Sat, Mar-20-04 11:02

stevia is an all natural sweetner. Its kinda tricky to use. Stevia plus is the packet form with added fiber I think. I personally find the flavor to be bitter but others love it.

Rocky_Cdn Sat, Mar-20-04 19:07

Hi Ms. Sarah,

I just bought Stevia liquid concentrate at GNC. I've also seen it in another health food store. Not sure if it's the same as SteviaPlus, but if they have one, they should have the other.

Rocky

shortstuff Sat, Mar-20-04 20:42

Stevia is an herb that can be used in powder or liquid form to add sweetness to whatever. It becomes bitter when you use too much. I use powdered stevia for my herbal tea and all it takes is just the tiniest amount on the tip of the spoon to make my tea plenty sweet. And this is from a woman who used to literally dump sugar into tea! I buy it from iHerb.com. They do have it available for international shipping, but you'll pay extra for international shipping. Shipping fees stateside are extremely reasonable.

shortstuff

NfldArtist Sat, Mar-20-04 20:46

I have been using stevia for a long time, when I first discovered it was good for diabetics..I am not one but I like the fact that it doesnt play havoc with the system..so little is needed. i use the packets which are labeled a supplement, probably for fda reasons and one packet does 2 coffees or whatever. I used to have 2 tablespoons of sugar each. the taste is easy to get used to. but you have to be right on in the measurement..seems like one granule more and it can ruin the drink..

corianin Sat, Mar-20-04 22:41

ooh!! cool cookbook!!!

OOOH! A cookbook with recipes under 10 carbs?? That sounds like my kinda cookbook! Can you tell me the title/author of the cookbook and where you got it? I'd love to pick up one of those. So far I've just been compiling my own mini cookbook by printing out pages and sticking them in a 3-ring binder.

~ Cori ~

nitrovixen Sun, Mar-21-04 09:39

Oh!
I'll bet you are talking about "Extreme Lo-Carb Cuisine" by Sharron Long... I just got it from the library Friday. It looks great.
I'm still pondering what "Milk & Egg Protein" is. she says you can find it in the beverage aisle at most grocery stores but so far I've found nothing.
I went out and bought "Stevia Plus." you should be able to find it at a health food store, perhaps even a large suppliment/vitamin shop. I'm still searching for "Sweet & Slender" too.. It sounds like a great sweetener.

Ms Sarah Sun, Mar-21-04 11:46

Thx everyone!

Thx for the info. I'll try the GNC over at Bankers Hall this week. :)

~nitrovixen - yes that is the cookbook I bought - I bought it at Coles here - TD Square in Calgary. Yeah there are a few things in that book I "don't get"....but I might try a few. :thup:

Ms Sarah Thu, Mar-25-04 23:40

OK - I found it....

at the Superstore here in Calgary.

BUT - when a recipe call s for Stevia.....should I use teh powder OR liquid????

I'm not sure because it doesn't indicate nor am I familiar with this product!

nitrovixen Fri, Mar-26-04 03:13

Sarah, she means the powder, Stevia Plus, which has added fiber. Don't use the equivalent amount of another Stevia powder. they don't have added fiber and are a LOT more potent... you could ruin an entire recipe! The easiest thing to do if you are using straight powder or a liquid is to add a small amount and then taste it. A little goes a long ways!

Ms Sarah Fri, Mar-26-04 09:09

hmmm

OK....so I'm pretty sure that the STevia I saw at the grocery store did not say "Plus" on it..........guess I'll have to keep my eyes open again.

MyJourney Fri, Mar-26-04 09:15

http://www.n101.com/Static/Products...6123125918.html

Thats the stevia plus that I have.

Ms Sarah Fri, Mar-26-04 10:36

~MyJourney

Thx a bunch!~ I'll have to go take another look!

lol

LadyBelle Fri, Mar-26-04 10:59

Stevia plus is stevia powder combined with FOS. FOS is a type of fiber that is suposed to be good for the intestinal flora. You can buy it on it's own at health food stores, but it costs a ton.

I didn't care for the stevia plus. It wouldn't disolve in liquids, and it had an off taste. I switched to pure stevia extract and love it. For the recipes though you would have to figure out a conversion, and the FOS may add a filler or texture to the recipe.