Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Fitday Calories Burned Question... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=93388)

whyspers Wed, Mar-19-03 12:05

Fitday Calories Burned Question...

I am still learning my way around FitDay and have just started using some of its resources, but I am wondering about:

Calories Burned
Calories Burned Today
Total: 3501
Basal: 1751
Lifestyle: 1452
Activities: 298

How does it know this stuff...lol? Is it saying that overall today I will burn 3501 calories??? Its very confusing to me.

Also...which is the good fat and which is the bad fat? I am getting around 70% fat, but not sure if its the good or the bad.

Thanks,
Laura

janetkind Wed, Mar-19-03 12:16

fitday

I just got on fitday to. And i dont even know how to work the thing to post my food intake for the day..
help

pegva Wed, Mar-19-03 12:21

FAT

On Atkins, the only 'bad' fats are Trans fats.

Welcome aboard!!

whyspers Wed, Mar-19-03 12:24

Please forgive my ignorance, but which are the trans fats?

Today my breakdown is:

Fat: 70 631 70%
Sat: 23 205 23%
Poly: 10 87 10%
Mono: 30 273 30%

Which of these are the bad ones? Poly I hope...lol. :rolleyes:

L

Charran Wed, Mar-19-03 12:44

The worst fats are the trans fats, followed by saturated, poly and then mono being the best kind to get. Trans fats are not as yet required to be on most products although some have started saying how much is in the item. But there is a way to figure out how many trans fats you are consuming. Look on the label and add up the 3 diff kind of fats that are listed, which will normally be mono, poly and unsaturated. The total of these 3 should equal the total amount of fat stated. If it does not, then the remaining amount is comprised of trans fats. Hope that helps. :)

BarbCA Wed, Mar-19-03 15:23

The main trans fats that you'll find are in margarine and Crisco. Read the lables on prepared foods. If they say hydorlyzed, that's trans fat. Stick wiith natural foods, butter and natural unprocessed fats.

The basal calories mean the ones you use up just living. Then it will adjust for the excecise that is done if you post it. Hope that helps.

Elihnig Wed, Mar-19-03 16:59

Read labels of prepared foods. If any of the ingrediants are partially hydrogenated oils, those are the trans fatty acids. They are considered to be unhealthy because they are unnatural and your body can't process them properly, leading to low good cholesterol and high bad cholesterol.

The low fat people think that saturated fat is the bad fat, but they are wrong.

Beth

Paleoanth Wed, Mar-19-03 17:11

Re: Fitday Calories Burned Question...

Quote:
Originally posted by whyspers
I am still learning my way around FitDay and have just started using some of its resources, but I am wondering about:

Calories Burned
Calories Burned Today
Total: 3501
Basal: 1751
Lifestyle: 1452
Activities: 298

How does it know this stuff...lol? Is it saying that overall today I will burn 3501 calories??? Its very confusing to me.

The basal is based upon your current weight. My basal on fitday went down as my weight went down. Lifestyle is the stuff you do everyday-brush teeth, go to the bathroom, shower....Activities are the specific things you put in-exersize. I am assuming that they put in an average for lifestyle also based on weight. People at different weights burn calories differently. Yes, they are saying that you will burn a total of 3500 calories for that day.

At 157 my Calories burned:
Total: 2399
Basal: 1454 61%
Lifestyle: 945 39%
Activities: 0 0%

At 136:
Total: 2249
Basal: 1363 61%
Lifestyle: 886 39%
Activities: 0 0%

I picked two days with no activities input so you can see just how the basic numbers change as you lose weight.

whyspers Wed, Mar-19-03 17:44

Thank you all very much. This certainly clarified things for me. So....if I consumed 2200 calories today (I'm not seriously counting at this point although I am noticing), then I'm still operating at a deficit...which in the long run is good. I usually consume between 1400-1800 a day, but tonight I really ate...lol. Ended up with around 2200...although that's neither here nor there...lol.

Thanks again!

L (who was starting to ramble...lol)