Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Cheese Question??! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=90630)

bree Wed, Mar-05-03 13:04

Cheese Question??!

CAN SOMEONE CLARIFY HOW MUCH CHEESE YOU ARE ALLOWED PER DAY. I AM NOT SURE HOW MUCH 3 - 4 OUNCES IS TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH! FOR EXAMPLE...HOW MANY OUNCES ARE IN A CHEESE STRING??

THANKS, AND HAPPY LOW CARBING

BREE

RCFletcher Wed, Mar-05-03 13:14

If you're on induction you should avoid cheese. With regards to after induction, a lot depends on which cheese it is. They vary a lot. If you look up cheese in the carbohydrate counter on the right hand side of this page it'll give you lots more info.

I've just weighed a piece of cheese and I reckon a 4oz piece is a cube about 1.5 inches square.

I have no idea what a cheese string is - sorry.

Good luck,
robert

TomC Wed, Mar-05-03 13:15

I limit myself to one slice per meal.

Note that cheese tends to constipate a lot of people, so make sure you get your fiber.

Also, you can eat more cheese if you make sure to get the kind that is full cheese, none of that skim stuff. Just watch the carbs.

If you want to make a cheese snack, try not to eat cheese on your other meals that day.

If you are losing, you can be more liberal with your cheese. If you are fighting a stall, spread it out and limit it to a couple of slices per day to add flavor to foods and nothing more.

Tom C

UAGirl Wed, Mar-05-03 13:22

Bree,

A regular slice of deli cheese is said to be 1 ounce. String cheese is normally 1 ounce too. :)

Hope that helps.

bree Wed, Mar-05-03 17:48

RCFLETCHER- why do you say no cheese?? In the book he says during induction to limit yourself to 3-4 ounces on page 125 of the "new diet revolution" book. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. I guess it jst depends on the person too. I am not overweight, but want to lose at least 15 lbs, but also dont want to limit myself too much during the induction phase. I am doing very good and i have stuck with it for 6 days now. I was a HUGE candy freak, and am feeling much better without the huge cravings now.

Thanks everyone else for the info....greatly appreciated.

Bree

paradise Wed, Mar-05-03 17:52

bree, it looks like a cheese string is 1 ounce. I just bought a package and it is 12 ounces total and contains 12 individually wrapped cheese strings. Hope this helps, good luck LCing!

red1cutie Wed, Mar-05-03 17:57

Cheese is allowed on induction, so you can have it. Atkins says:

Quote:
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semi soft aged cheeses*, including: cheddar, cow, sheep and goat cheese, cream cheese, Gouda, mozzarella, Roquefort and other blue cheeses, Swiss ......

All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted.

Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese . Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content

I am thinking I should avoid cheese but I will check with my doctor to be sure.

red

hansjs Wed, Mar-05-03 18:20

Quote:
Originally posted by RCFletcher
If you're on induction you should avoid cheese.
Good luck,
robert

Just a note for anyone concerned...I'm personally on day 3 of induction, and have enjoyed 2-4 oz. of cheddar each day as a snack. According to the Keto stix I am in Ketosis as of early this afternoon.

viv Wed, Mar-05-03 18:41

Hi Bree!

thought i'd chime in since we have the same stats...

i avoided cheese for the first week or so... now, i typically have 2 to 3 oz. per day of high fat cheese... i'm waiting to eat my string cheese - not fatty enough... until i reach 120

:wave: viv

Teuthis Wed, Mar-05-03 18:51

Cheese And Brie

When you buy cheese, look on the package at the net weight. Divide the product into the appropriate portions before you eat it. Cheese strings will weigh whatever the number there are in the package divided by the total net weight of the package.

Good Luck!

bree Wed, Mar-05-03 19:37

HAHA- thats funny...im talking about cheese and look at my name!! hehe.

Thanks for the info everyone.

VIV- THX for the reply. How have you liked Atkins so far. Its nice to see someone with similar stats.

Could you give me a bit of advise of what works for you?? Do you excersise a lot?

You see....I have always been a fitness GURU, but used to end up overeating because of sometimes burning over 1000 cals per day. Also, I had a sweet tooth, BIG TIME, and thats why I am here. I also was a carb pig and always bought low fat (HIGH CARB!) foods. I am trying not to excersise too much as I dont want to fall into that rut again. I love being in good shape and healthy so thats what I am aiming for. I also have IBS, and I find that a lot of the foods I am cutting out are the foods that triggered my stomach attacks.

Any advise from any fitness freaks out there??

Thanks a lot!

Brianne

p.s. i am gonna keep the cheese down to a min. every day. :)

JosephNYC Wed, Mar-05-03 20:04

I read the same thing in Atkins' book and have been eating 3 to 5 oz per day.

But, I don't understand the restriction, aside from the carb count level.

It seems, different cheeses have different carb levels -- with quite a lot of variation.

It just so happens that the cheeses I prefer are usually the French or Spanish cheeses with loads of fat.

For example:

Port du Salut has 0.162 grams of carbs per ounce.
Camembert has 0.175 grams per ounce.
Brie has 0.128 grams per ounce.

There are plenty of cheeses with more than 1 gram of carb per ounce also.

So, is the restriction on cheese or on the carb intake?

Thanks.

RCFletcher Thu, Mar-06-03 01:07

Mmmm. I was sure that in my book (maybe an older version) the doctor said no cheese on induction. I may be wrong however and as I've given my book away I can't check. When I did induction (2 years ago) I only had meaty stuff and two cups of green salald every day.

Robert