Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Craving veggies! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177882)

sydnarella Sat, Apr-10-04 10:09

Craving veggies!

I don't know WHAT the deal is, but I've been craving veggies lately and I don't get it. Almost every night I have some huge veggie and tofu or beef or chicken stir fry. And I'm still maintaining my weight fine, so I'm going with it. Its so weird though, I never even liked vegetables before! I'm trying to stick with green veggies like green beans, spinach, broccoli - with the addition of cauliflower, onions mushrooms, stuff thats not too high carb, but I know I'm eating WAY more carbs than usual - all in vegetables.

she_laughs Sat, Apr-10-04 10:24

It's great to see a nonvegie person developing a taste for the healthiest food group. I craved vegies during induction, so was very happy to move to OWL and increase my vegetables. I predict you will be a long term success with your weight loss. Be careful of the onion, though. I love onions, and when I eat as much as I want, I stall.

BlitzedAng Sat, Apr-10-04 10:56

So funny to see this thread THIS morning.. At breakfast I WANTED green beans with my eggs and sausage. My kids freaked out saying," Mom, what are you doing eating that for breakfast??" I admit it is odd for me but I really wanted them like it was a donut or somthing. Weird.

Elsah Sat, Apr-10-04 11:24

I would say of all the cravings you could have veggie cravings are just fine! ;) I love my veggies and have them at all three meals most the time. Asparagus and cabbage both go great with traditional egg/bacon or sausage breakfasts. Tomatoes are also awesome to add in quiche with cheddar and bacon. I say go with it and enjoy your veggies. You will probably crave them more as the weather warms up. I know I always crave them more in the spring, summer and early fall.

Jenn

black57 Sat, Apr-10-04 13:44

try some red, orange or yellow bell peppers for an additional vitamin C boost ( esp. the red bell peppers )

RCG Sat, Apr-10-04 13:51

I am eating more vegtables (low GI) now than I have ever before in my life. Most of the veggies I buy are from the fresh food section. People see me eating a large salad and they say "I thought you were on that low carb diet", then I smile and nod my head.

LadyBelle Sat, Apr-10-04 14:11

If you crave veggies, then eat them. If you notice apatern in the veggies you are craving, then maybe investigate if there is a common vitamin or mineral that you may be low on and need to suppliment.

If you cut other things down, such as dairy, coffee and any LC foods, you would be amazed how many veggies you can get in for way under 20g net because of the high fiber in them. Sinc eyou are closer ot goal you might try moving into OWL if you havn't and go ahead with upping your carbs through veggies.

sydnarella Sat, Apr-10-04 14:53

Its pretty weird, I tested today and I'm in deep ketosis, but I know I'm eating a lot more veggies right now. As long as its working, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing :)