Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Live Atkins Poll - Going on NOW (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123568)

lissame Thu, Jul-17-03 13:46

Live Atkins Poll - Going on NOW

I was directed toward this site from another board - there is currently an Atkins Live Poll going on and the feedback is not looking very good at all.

It's easy to take - only a minute of your time total. No need to register or log in or anything - just click on the Atkins Poll link once you hit the site and BAM ur there.

http://www.myvoice.co.uk

Kranti Thu, Jul-17-03 14:18

I just answered the survey.. less than 30 sec!!!

The feedback for Atkins is very poor. "General Low Fat Diet: has the highest takers!!!!! Just goes to show how ill-informed people are.

LisaUK Thu, Jul-17-03 14:21

Done it AND wrote to them. I seem to be on a roll today for writing to people and having a moan about their misrepresentation.

To admin~myvoice.co.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Dear My Voice.

Your Atkins Poll quotes some fairly misleading information I'm afraid.

Devised by diet guru Dr Robert Atkins, this eating plan has taken the nation, and world, by storm. Atkins recommends eating a diet high in proteins and fats and no carbohydrates.

This is wrong I'm afraid. He didn't advocate NO carbs, he advocated a 14 day trial of below 20g a day. That's still an awful lot of vegetables and that is compulsory. The myth that we aren't allowed to eat any veggies at all is a very old and tired one. I personally eat a far more varied and healthy selection of veggies, DUE to this eating plan, not despite it.

Many doctors are highly critical of this over-reliance on proteins and fats recommending, instead, a balanced diet of all the main food groups. Followers of this eating regime are supposed to eat less than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day (roughly 1 bread roll/bun or less than half an average sized potato).

This also is innaccurate. We are supposed to eat no MORE than 20g a day but only for the first 14 days.

Celebrity followers of this diet include Geri Halliwell, Demi Moore and Jennifer Aniston.

Nope, sorry. Demi follows a raw foods diet in which nothing is cooked and Jennifer is on The Zone. Quite a bit different.

Thought you might like to know, as this kind of misinformation really does anger people who follow the Atkins' eating plan.

I will be happy to supply more information if you wish. From someone who has been fat all her life and on a low fat diet all her life, this plan is literally a life saver. Why make other people frightened of it?

Thank you,

Yours sincerely,

Lisa J Feinson

GrooveJock Thu, Jul-17-03 14:27

WAY TO GO!!!!!! You tell em.

:dazzle:

Jennifer7 Thu, Jul-17-03 14:36

Good for you!

It may be worthwhile to send them a list of what a 20 gram day DOES or CAN include for food, since they are trying to imply that you could only eat half a potato or 1 bun. On the other hand you could be eating a full breakfast of bacon and eggs, a lunch of chicken and brocolli, a dinner of pork chops, steak, mushrooms and a ceasar salad, along with some snacks of macadamia nuts, and celery sticks with cheese whiz.

Which seems healthier to you, Dear My Voice? a half a potato or this...

Now I am getting a bit riled up!

LisaUK Thu, Jul-17-03 14:38

Write to 'em! That's their email addy at the top there. The ~ is actually an 'at' sign. Don't know how that happened...

Suzanne Thu, Jul-17-03 14:40

Just finished - very quick

Definitely a biased poll - and even the survey creator obviously does not know the first thing about Atkins as it says in the header "Atkins recommends eating a diet high in proteins and fats and no carbohydrates" I don't know why the world thinks it's crazy to get your carbs from natural foods and not processed, refined foods. God forbid I want to eat a salad instead of a Little Debbie Cake! :bash:

What I don't understand is how somebody "would definitely not consider the Atkins diet" when they probably don't understand the first thing about it!

tasche Thu, Jul-17-03 14:49

This poll is totally messed p as it does not stop you from polling more than once. I hit the back button 3xs and resubmitted 3x tosee if it would let me. Usually polls log your ip so you can't do this.

LisaUK Thu, Jul-17-03 15:18

Less of a poll, more of a farce I feel.

mammoth Thu, Jul-17-03 17:35

Lisa: Great email response to them...SWEET! I am going to write them also!

Took the poll...fast! Questions are skewed in such a manner as to get a sampling that will have no relevance at all...except to the anti-atkins propagandists...Oh well....

Best to all;
Happy Jake

ferkin1 Thu, Jul-17-03 20:33

The most interesting thing that I saw was that 2 thirds of people that are on Atkins (and presumably well informed) would recommend it.

Samuel Thu, Jul-17-03 21:00

The Internet address says that they are in the UK. However when they say "this eating plan has taken the nation, and world, by storm", I'm not sure what they mean by "the nation". Do they mean the US or UK? I also believe that most of the voters are British.

KatinkaKa Fri, Jul-18-03 03:05

Hey Lisa,
I just sent them an e-mail as well to tell them that I will
never ever in my life go back to low fat eating. That I feel
great, look great, never hungry and after 14 years NO MORE
high blood pressure medications.
hope they take notice!
ciao :roll:

LisaUK Fri, Jul-18-03 13:40

I got a reply!

Here you go - this is what they said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hello there

Thank you for writing into us - it's always good to hear from our community. I apologise for any anger/upset I have caused - my resource was the media for most of this information.

I have amended the description of this survey so that it is more accurate. Many thanks for your comments.

Kind regards and thank you for your interest in MyVoice.

Debbie Weller
Community and Marketing Manager
MyVoice.co.uk/MyVoice.net
debbie at myvoice.co.uk"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If she got her info from the media, no wonder it's all wrong!

Jennifer7 Fri, Jul-18-03 14:00

Lisa, that is great you got a response!

You should thank her and then send her another example of how MUCH food can be under 20 carbs, so she can make a more balanced example than just the 1/2 potato thing which she still has posted...