Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   South Beach AND Atkins????? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=254317)

Nikara2005 Mon, Jun-20-05 14:38

South Beach AND Atkins?????

Ok....I have a question. Being on Atkins..I tend to get a little bored. I really love bean burritos. Well I know that the low carb tortillas, cheese and sour cream are fine...but the beans (regular refried) are 12 carbs per 1/2 cup! Now I have tried the alternative (black beans) but they just dont do it! The funny thing is...I can eat 2 bean burritos for dinner, 2 nights a week and still loose without a problem! I literally go over about 60 carbs on the days that I do this. I read in the South Beach Diet Book that refried beans are "good carbs." Is it possible to mix the two diets together and still loose weight? I found some completely yummy SBD cookies that do not make me gain either...they are healthy and low carb also. Just wondered what everyone thought?!?! I keep with the Atkins way on the fat though!! Low fat is for the birds lol! Thanks in advance!! :wave:

scthgharpy Mon, Jun-20-05 15:39

Nikara, I would say that if you are making adequate (satisfactory) progress eating food you love, then by all means, do it! The whole deal with LC is keeping your blood sugar and insulin level at a minimum. Atkins recommends at least 2 weeks of induction (20 g/day) but after that tells you to increase your carb intake (preferably with fruits and veggies) until you stop losing-this point is the max carb count you personally can with within and still lose. This is also to give you an idea of how you should eat the rest of your life and stay healthy.

To me this means, If youre eating 60 g carb/day and still losing, youre doing just right.

Beans ARE good carbs because of all the fiber. As an alternative, try refried black beans. I prefer black beans, they have more flavor! Maybe mix them together, to lessen the net carb count.

cre8tivgrl Mon, Jun-20-05 17:35

I don't think it's a question of if it's possible... it looks like you are already doing it!! If you still loosing, eat and enjoy it!

Kagior Mon, Jun-20-05 22:44

Personally, I see South Beach as a more liberal LC plan, very similar to Atkins maintenance or pre-maintenance. With the low fat mantra they espouse, it is not for me. I would rather have more fat and fewer carbs. Everyone is different, though.

I'd say your refried beans are not really a transgression. Count them in your carb totals and if they don't stall you, enjoy them!

Nancy LC Tue, Jun-21-05 08:44

You know, some people actually lose weight a little better raising their carbs a bit. You are supposed to go into OWL anyway and raise your carbs gradually. Some people find cycling their carbs works. So, I think, if you try really hard, you can figure out some way to add beans back to your diet. :D

ssofian Tue, Jun-21-05 09:15

If you are losing and feeling good about the way you're eating I don't see why you can't combine the plans to create your own hybrid. Not everyone has their best success following just one plan. Some people do wonderfully with creating their own LC plan and doing that.

If you are a lucky one who can still lose on higher levels and things like the beans then go for it!

dpionk Tue, Jun-21-05 10:05

I love refried beans too, and bean burritos! I have found that I can eat refried beans and cheese and it doesn't affect my weight loss. I don't do it every day but for something different...Fiber is good for you anyway!

Kristine Tue, Jun-21-05 15:47

There's nothing wrong with experiementing with higher carb foods. We tend to get in trouble, though, if we plan-combine simply because something on the other plan sounds appealing. If we could take the tastiest parts of all LC plans, we'd be pretty close to the old WOE that made us gain weight to begin with! :daze: Venturing into making your own plan requires a lot of honesty with yourself.

black57 Wed, Jun-22-05 07:27

Have you tried black soy beans> They are pretty good, higher in fiber, protein and way lower in carbs than the other beans.

mld02004 Wed, Jun-22-05 09:07

Black 57-

Where does one find black soy beans? How do you eat them?

Thanks
MLD

niudog Wed, Jun-22-05 10:33

I have found black soy beans at my HFS.
I put them on chilli like regulat beans.

Nikara2005 Wed, Jun-22-05 14:12

Thank you all!! I will consider trying the black soy beans ;) You guys are great!!

SusanKH Fri, Jun-24-05 09:30

My favorite breakfast in the whole world is refried beans, cheese, and salsa wrapped in a tortilla. Ummmmmm. :yum: And, like you, I don't really care for black beans.