Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Pretty tired every day (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=104855)

dafatha00 Mon, May-12-03 15:03

Pretty tired every day

I've been on this diet for about 2.5 weeks now and lost about 8 pounds but I'm still as tired as I was before I started dieting. I usually sleep for around 8-9 hours and I'm still pretty tired afterwards. More specifically, its pretty hard for me to wake up when the alarm goes off and I stay tired and drowsy for about 30 minutes but then I'm ok. I thought that the Atkins diet would have made me much more lively throughout the day.

Any suggestions?

Groggy60 Mon, May-12-03 15:23

Odd. I went from needing 8 hours to needing 7 hours, and when I wake up, I can get up. I sleep so much better than I used to. Its the first time in my life I can remember not being able to drowze in bed for an hour.

Sorry to not have better answer. Give it some more time, you are loosing weight anyway.

Iowagirl Mon, May-12-03 15:31

Have you tried exercising? I know it sounds odd when you are tired already but exercise can give you a boost of energy. A brisk walk around the block is good if that's all you have the time for. Try it early in the morning, during lunch or after work.

Hang in there!

dafatha00 Mon, May-12-03 15:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Iowagirl
Have you tried exercising? I know it sounds odd when you are tired already but exercise can give you a boost of energy. A brisk walk around the block is good if that's all you have the time for. Try it early in the morning, during lunch or after work.

Hang in there!

Well I workout intensively an hour everyday and run about a mile on Monday and Friday. So I'm not sure exercise could be the problem. But I'll try running four times a week in addition to my working out. Maybe that'll help.

Thanks guys!

Loribell Mon, May-12-03 16:12

dafatha00:

I was much like you during the first month. I found it was a chore to get out of bed. Almost ignoring the alarm. At the same time I was having some leg cramps and started taking a cal/mag and a potassium supplements. Boy not only did my leg cramps go but I started have the best sleeps of my life. When I woke I felt refreshed and ready to take the day on. Through power of elimination I figured out it was the potassium so its a fall back on it my life gets a little crazy and I find I'm not resting well. Just thought you might like to know what helped me.

Loribell

miss celie Mon, May-12-03 18:37

I don't know the extent of your low energy levels but if you have been fatigued for a long time you might want to go to the doc and get a gereral check-up. It could be possible you have an underlying condition that is affecting your overall energy, such as anemia or even hypothyroidism. It's not a bad idea to go and get your bloodwork done anyway so you can monitor any changes in lipid levels that can occur with alterations in your diet. I'm all about peace o ;) f mind!

nikkil Tue, May-13-03 03:04

what's your carb level? I found when it was too low for too long (stayed on induction levels for 3 months) I was like you're describing and I had no energy to work out at all. Worth looking into boosting your carbs, maybe, IMHO.

N.

Elihnig Tue, May-13-03 09:15

Are you taking supplements? Drinking enough water? Eating enough fat, protein and carbs?

All can be factors.

Beth

2berners Tue, May-13-03 10:40

That's a lot exercise for someone who's losing weight! Maybe you should scale it back a bit. Are you taking supplements, getting enough calories, getting enough fat? Inquiring minds want to know.