Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   tacos for supper (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=140746)

helensimon Thu, Oct-02-03 19:34

tacos for supper

I'm a lampwork artist, and make beads to sell on eBay, so I'm familiar with eBay, and found the most WONDERFUL taco shells. They're small, but they have only 1 carb. La Tiara, my husband liked them better than regular. They were thin and delicate, like the kind at real Mexican resturants...filled with chili meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato and topped with a dollop of sour cream, who would know we're dieting? I don't remember who I bought them from, so just do a search. Helen

livingintn Thu, Oct-02-03 20:23

Hi Helen,

Your taco idea sounds good....so good that I've been searching E-Bay to try to find the low carb shells... but I can't find them! Tried searching for taco, tortilla, La Tiara, low carb taco shell...either my searching skills are bad or they're all out :lol:

Sounds great, though. Maybe I'll find them at one of the online LC outlet stores. Thanks for the idea. :)

helensimon Thu, Oct-02-03 20:40

I found them under low carb taco...kind of expensive, but what isn't on this diet plan? Helen

Matiekrome Thu, Oct-02-03 21:01

Woo hoo, my first real post! Anyways, im an eBay buff myself, and I do recall seeing a low carb taco shell before. Ill check it out and see what I can find...

Matiekrome Thu, Oct-02-03 21:04

OK, did a quick search for "Atkins Taco" and came back with lots of matches... What a deal... a box of 18 low carb (2g) taco shells for a buy it now price of $4.25... you cant beat that!

windy Fri, Oct-03-03 04:07

SOunds good. I make a taco minus the shell. Juat put the goodies on my plate and it taste good too.

Windy

redawn Fri, Oct-03-03 05:25

taco salads are awful yummy too! Romaine lettuce dripping with sour cream, cheese, salsa, hot sauce, tomatoes, meat. . .oh man I am getting hungry! redawn:)

MamaSara6 Fri, Oct-03-03 05:29

I make my tacos with "cheese chips." Use a sturdy paper plate and nuke a pile of cheese (cheddar for tacos!), approx. 1 C., until it has re-absorbed all the oil. Put your meat in quickly and fold. Voila! When it cools, you have a beautiful taco! It's "lacy" so you do have to be careful with wet fillings like salsa!

cincin11 Fri, Oct-03-03 06:34

I use my la tortillas , 3 net gms carbs. I fry them in olive oil . Yummy . I like taco salads too, I havent tried that, but I will . I cant wait to get to the store and get some more taco supplies.
I hate when people talk about food, it always makes me hungry for whatever they are talking about. lol

Matiekrome Sat, Oct-04-03 22:09

mmmmm.... tacos... Atkins is soooo hardcore...

Mossling Sat, Oct-04-03 22:56

I first met these through eBay, but have since found an online store that sells them:
http://www.lowcarbsuperstore.com
Click on baked goods, then on tortillas. These come in 12 packs, in 18 packs, and in 36 packs! And they really are good (both the white corn and the yellow corn ones.) I like the La Tortilla ones, too, but sometimes only corn tortillas will do. :)

Jude

Gimmpy Sun, Oct-05-03 04:22

Mexican Food is the only food I truly miss on this diet.
Thanks to Mossling for posting that link. Those prices are so much better than those on ebay, and Shipping is much better to. I don't think my mouth will stop watering until I get my first shipment.

capercop Sun, Oct-05-03 10:26

Mmmmm ...TAcos !!

I just ordered a batch from Ebay .... I cant beleive that I am going to have TACOS .....yum yum yummy

cincin11 Sun, Oct-05-03 13:42

How are the la tiara taco shells low carb if they are made from corn? The carb count on corn is high. I am leery about them. I am trying to find the ingredients for them . What does your package say?

Right now I have like 10 packages of the soft tortillas,but would like to try the corn ones in the future.

helensimon Sun, Oct-05-03 15:48

The ingredients are corn, water, lime and shortening, but they are pressed very thin. I've made flour tortillas, but not corn, but being that water is the second ingredient, I assume a paste fried in a form. The low carb content would come from the tiny amount of corn in each small shell...they are smaller than regular, and much thinner, and have a very even edge. Helen