Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   I am taking this diet supplement, will it affect my weight loss any on Atkins? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137088)

korry1977 Sun, Sep-14-03 10:35

I am taking this diet supplement, will it affect my weight loss any on Atkins?

I was wondering, because I heard of talk on the board that it may stall weight loss. It is Hydroxadrine (a "metabolic enhancer," like Hydroxycut) Here are the ingredients:

Serving Size: 3 Capsules
(but I just take one, in the morning before my morning jog)
%dailyvalue
Pantothenic Acid: (as Calcium Pantothenate) 40mg 400%
Chromium Polynictotinate (ChroMate, Propiertary blend) 200mcg 17%
Guarana Extract 910mg
(Standardized for 22 % Caffeine)
Garcinia Cambogia Extract 600mg
(Supplying 300mg of Hydroxycitric Acid)
Ma Huang Extract 335mg
(Standardized for 6 % Ephedrine)
White Willow Bark Extract 200mg
(Standardized for 12 % Salicin)
Citrus Aurantium 125mg
(Standardized for 4 % Synephrine)
Acetyl L-Carnitine 100mg
L-Tyrosine 80mg
Ginger Root 50mg

Other Ingredients: Magnesium Sterate, Gelatin.

Apparently, ChromeMate is the registered trademark of InterHealth Nutritionals, Inc.

Thanks for any help,

Korry

potatofree Sun, Sep-14-03 12:00

I'd advise running a search in the Supplements forum of the boards. There are a lot of smart people lurking there who can tell you for sure! I don't see much difference between what you're taking and the Atkins Accel, except for the ma huang, which (I know a lot of people say it's hype) I'd be too scared of after reading about the problems it's alleged to cause.

Anyhoo... check out the supplements forum down the list, I'm sure you'll get your answer!

korry1977 Sun, Sep-14-03 12:05

Hey thanks for the info...

I scolled down to the General Exercise Forum and I saw the Hot Links Sticky By Doreen and I clicked on the Thermogenics Link and read the thread by TrainerDan who explains diet supplements such as Hydroxycut, etc... in more detail...

Thanks for the response,
Korry

shortstuff Sun, Sep-14-03 12:06

I see two things in the list of ingredients that wave flags at me. Caffeine and ephedrine. We are supposed to limit our intake of caffeine and ephedrine (ephedra) is just plain bad for you.

Kristine Sun, Sep-14-03 12:10

Boy, are you lucky you're only taking one a day! I can't believe they recommend 3! 335 mg of ephedra?! The FDA stays out of supplement regulation, but here in Canada, the recognized safe dose is *8* mg. (ie retailers are discouraged from selling any product with more than 8mg per dose, and most of them comply.)

From what I understand, it's the combination of caffeine and ephedrine that's particularly dangerous. :exclm: Be very careful.

movieman32 Fri, Sep-19-03 20:24

Just to update the last post. The ingredients said 335mg ma hung standardized to 6% ephedra. That means that the actual ephedra content is 6% of 335, or about 20mg of pure ephedra. That happens to be the standard amount used in the ECA stack.