Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Yuck - Flax-o-meal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175491)

armywife3 Sun, Mar-28-04 17:59

Yuck

I have heard rave reviews of flax o meal and as an oatmeal lover I was willing to pay over EIGHT DOLLARS at the darn store for it. I got the cinnamon oatmeal. NASTY. I couldn't even choke down a bite of it. The consistency was NOT of oatmeal. It was gritty and disgusting. Did I do something wrong? double yuck....what a waste of 8 bucks.

The second nastiest try of the week had to be the Walden Farms marinara sauce. It was horrible.

samplergrl Sun, Mar-28-04 18:03

Ugh. I do not like Flax-O-Meal at all. I had one bite and threw the rest it in the garbage. I've been reluctant to order low carbs foods since then even though I'm dying to try a low carb tortilla.

MyJourney Sun, Mar-28-04 18:03

I dont trust any of the walden farms products.

Anything that claims to be calorie free and everything else free sounds like its lying, and also not something that I want to try. Probably made up of freaky chemicals and I dont know what.

As for the flax o meal, never tried it, but I sometimes grind up my own flax seeds and mix with wheat bran and carb countdown whole milk and eat it. A bit of cinnamon and a pat of butter and its really yummy and high in fiber.

It doesnt taste like oatmeal but its a good porridge.

red1cutie Sun, Mar-28-04 18:09

I agree with my journey. I just grind my flax seeds in a coffee grinder, add cinnamon, coconut milk and eat it. It's cheaper and I know what's in it.

red

MyJourney Sun, Mar-28-04 18:18

mmm coconut milk sounds like it would go well too and I am out of cocnut milk, I happen to have some fresh coconut here. To make the milk you grind up the flesh with the water?

red1cutie Sun, Mar-28-04 18:20

lol MyJourney...no, I'm not that good. I just buy the can with just plain coconut milk and mix it in. Grate yours.

red

potatofree Sun, Mar-28-04 18:30

Flax-o-Meal would be a disappointment if you were hoping for oatmeal! The closest I've found is the Keto Hot Cereal. Apple Cinnamon is my favorite. It's closer to oatmeal, IMHO.

marchbaby Sun, Mar-28-04 18:36

I recently went to GNC and spent $7 on the mini carb brand of apple-cin granola, it was like easy pencil shavings! I went back to GNC and returned it and got cash back!

potatofree Sun, Mar-28-04 18:50

Mmmmm.. pencil shavings! Might have been a step UP for some products! I tried the rock-hard "Carbo-save" crackers someone raved about. I nearly broke my fillings and they had a very "different" taste... they're still in the pantry. I guess I figured if I got HUNGRY enough they might become edible! :lol:

Funny how some people's "delicious" is another one's "GAK!!!!!".

trustycat Sun, Mar-28-04 22:53

hmmm....maybe i'm a weirdo but i LOVE flax-o-meal!!! Eat a bowl every morning, have to control myself to one serving; i buy bags at a time whenever i can find it and store it in my closet-- the strawberries and cream is the best flavor.... if u don't like it, try adding heavy cream, butter, and splenda (or send it my way, lol)

Jeanne Sch Mon, Mar-29-04 23:39

I also grind up my flaxseed in a coffee grinder and add heavy cream or Carb Countdown milk for a small breakfast. It is very important to only have small portions because the fiber becomes....well...snotty after a short time. I love the taste and texture before it becomes gooey.
HTH :)
Jeannie

ian559 Wed, Mar-31-04 06:59

sorry I like the Flax o meal. We all love the strawberries and cream. But the cinnamon one is good too.