Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "Low-carb suds flow at Sleeman" (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=132583)

ge0rg1e Sat, Aug-23-03 16:13

"Low-carb suds flow at Sleeman"

http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/Con...ol=968793972154

wils Sun, Aug-24-03 05:40

Sleeman's announce new low carb beer

Sleeman's have announced a new low carb beer, Clear, for you beer drinkers out there,90 cals and only 2.5 carbs. They say in response to the popularity of the low carb lifestyle.

Kristine Sun, Aug-24-03 10:07

Yay Sleeman's!! I hope it tastes decent. Their other beer sure does. :thup:

Kristine Sun, Aug-24-03 10:10

That nutritionist is full of crap. Alcohol does not "turn into sugar" in your system. :rolleyes: Where do these so-called health professionals get their credentials, the bottom of a cracker jack box? Are they not required to take basic biochemistry?

ge0rg1e Sun, Aug-24-03 10:19

Low-carb Homebrew?

Kristine -- since you're into homebrewing, have you ever tried creating your own low-carb beer?

Kristine Mon, Aug-25-03 13:45

No, but I bet I could. :lol: The carb content is dependent on how much sugar is left over after the yeast feast on it. That's determined by the type of sugars in the malt, and by the strain of yeast. I'd have to find a malt very high in fermentables, and a very "thorough" yeast.

The slight problem is that much of the flavour comes from those leftover complex sugars, ie carbs. :(

I inadvertantly made a very low carb cider a few years back. :lol: It was so dry, you could hardly taste any apple flavour. Maybe I should recreate that. :D

ge0rg1e Mon, Aug-25-03 14:04

Hmmm...do I smell a business opportunity brewing? Ow.

tlmarshall Wed, Aug-27-03 12:22

I just read that this morning myself.......could be the start of a new and exciting trend???

Kristine Fri, Aug-29-03 17:46

:lol: Yeah, but my extremely low carb beverage is already sold in liquor stores: it's called "vodka". :D :lol:

I wanna know if anyone has tried Sleeman Clear yet! They don't have it at my beer store yet. :tears:

ljclowater Sun, Aug-31-03 10:11

DH and I bought some last night at a Beer Store in Ottawa. I actually don't drink very much anymore (just lost the urge), but he was very happy to "drink a few beer that didn't put him to sleep". He said the taste was good and it definitely didn't sit as heavy on the stomach.

My opinion, "yay Sleeman's for responding to market interest!" I have written to some of the major grocery chains around here asking them to open their eyes and start stocking lc grocery products (like some stores out west) not just bars and powders.

The Sleemans box looks nice and very prominently advertised the calorie and carb count, this one is aimed at us!

Oh BTW, Kristine, did you ask for it or just check the wall? Our Beer Store doesn't have it on the wall yet, but they stock it (and it is the same price as any other 12 of Sleeman's).

vcrothb Sun, Aug-31-03 20:27

I was soooo happy when I heard the commercial on the radio- shows in a big way how the l/c lifestyle is going mainstream! I can't wait to try it- wish they'd brought it out at the beginning of the summer though!! :)

Kristine Wed, Sep-03-03 06:31

Quote:
Oh BTW, Kristine, did you ask for it or just check the wall?

No, I didn't think to ask. It was a Friday, and cheque week, so the beer store was a zoo. :rolleyes: I'll ask next time I'm there. :thup:

Kristine Tue, Sep-09-03 21:55

Got some!

I give it two thumbs up. :thup: :thup: I wasn't expecting much. If it only has 2.5 g carb per bottle, then it can't possibly have much body. It's not a high-quality, flavourful beer, but for the carb bargain, it's great. It's a nice change from rum and diet coke, that's for sure!

Julie10 Thu, Oct-02-03 11:50

Hi Everyone....I can't wait to try this LC beer.....Is it just as strong as regular beer or is it weaker in alcohol strength?....Like lite beer?....Julie

2Airedales Thu, Oct-02-03 16:37

We don't have it in the west yet. DH called the distributor and was told not enough interest!!! Funny because look at all the Low carb places in BC!!