Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Alcohol (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=180922)

sammy jo Mon, Apr-26-04 22:34

Alcohol

I have been very strict on the Atkins diet for about a month and have stayed at exactly the same weight! My roomate was on the same diet and lost about twelve pounds by a month's time. I was thinking that maybe it is becasue of drinking. I was wondering if anyone know if all rum has no carbs or just bacardi. I also heard that smirnoff vodka has no carbs. I was wondering if anyone knew any mixed drinks that I can drink. Thanks.

celestia Mon, Apr-26-04 22:44

How much weight did your roommate have to lose?

loserbaby Mon, Apr-26-04 22:48

Just because alchool has low/no carbs it does not mean that it won't cause stalls. When I drink, even if its the hard stuff w/ no carbs I stall out immediately and it takes my body 3 days to get back on track. Your body burns alchool before everything else, hence it kicks most people out of ketosis. This really sucks especially since I'm a colledge student, but I think that this WOL is more important. If you want to read a lot of great insight on the topic of lc and drinking go look at the Student and Teens part of the forum.

nutty Mon, Apr-26-04 23:40

I drink a little Japanese rice wine (sake) and so far so good.

My REAL question: Are those Boone's farm flavored cheap colorful wine low-carb? I can't seem to dig out info on that :(

lilli Tue, Apr-27-04 00:18

Ok Sammyjo, i'm supposing you're saying that your roomate wasn't drinking and you have been, hence you have not lost weight. (Or is this a case of the liquor diet actually helping with weightloss? hehe, i hope not...)

I have been drinking way too much for months, and the scale didn't move (i did lose fat, though; just gained muscle.) But i'm sure that cutting out the alcohol (i ONLY drink carb free hard alcohol...) will help me lose quicker. I hope. I have been thinking that alcohol can not only throw us out of ketosis, but also completely slow the metabolism down for a couple of days (WAY after you think the alcohol is out of the system.)

sammy jo Tue, Apr-27-04 10:16

Celestia, my roomate has about 10 or so pounds that she wanted to get rid of....and she did great. I am just not seeing the same results but i am going to hang in there. I also love wine but think that it is very much loaded with carbs so i am sure that boones farm is no exception! Terrible, i know becuase wine is my favorite

tcastro Tue, Apr-27-04 10:23

Alcohol stalls me immediately.

Liquor seems to do it harder than beer.

I had 3 vodka/diet 7ups and I went up 4lbs the next day.

I had 9 Miller Lites and I went up 2lbs the next day.

LadyBelle Tue, Apr-27-04 11:08

When you consume alcohol your body will turn it into ketoenes as a cheap, easily energy source. Any fat burning is put on hold while these alcohol keotenes are being used. Any thing eaten will be stored as fat for later use, and can be stored around the liver if you are a frequent drinker. There are also quite a few calories in alcohol, even the carb free ones. Alcohol can also make you severly dehydrated, which will make your body retain water. This could mean a slight downward turn on the scale the next day, but bloating and gain after.

Some people find that diet soda stalls them. If you are haivng regular soda with rum, then that can definetly stall you. Also all rum is not carb free. Some rums can have up to 7g carbs per oz. That makes most rum and cokes around 14g. Let me see if I can find the post that lists carb counts.

Also it could just be your roomate has a higher metabolism, lower metobolic resistance, is eating fewer calories and carbs, or any number of factors. Even if you both started at the exact same height and weight, and if you both put identical things in your mouth down to the last crumb, and got the exact same amount of exercise even breathing wise, there would still be a different of weight loss. Each person and thier physiology is different.

Quote:
I was curious about the same thing recently and shot an email over to the Captain himself, this is what I got back...

Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum contains approximately 75 calories per 1 1/4 oz. serving size, 0 grams of fat and .4 grams of carbohydrates.

Captain Morgan Silver Spiced Rum contains approximately 80 calories per 1 1/4 oz. serving size, 0 grams of fat and 2 grams of carbohydrates.

Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay contains approximately 82 calories per 1 1/4 oz. serving size, 0 grams of fat and 7.8 grams of carbohydrates.

Captain Morgan Private Stock contains approximately 94 calories per 1 1/4 oz. serving size, 0 grams of fat and 2.7 grams of carbohydrates.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...hlight=rum+carb

Quote:
Bacardi 151 Rum

Percent Alcohol = 75.5
Total calories per fl. oz. = 122
Protein (gram/100 ml) = 0
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Cholesterol (mg/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 1
Sugars (gram/fl. oz.) = 0
Carbohydrates (gram/fl.oz.) = 0

Bacardi Anejo Rum

Percent Alcohol = 40.0
Total calories per fl. oz. = 65
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 2
Carbohydrates (gram/fl.oz.) = 0.1

Bacardi 8 Rum

Percent Alcohol = 40.0
Total calories per fl.oz. = 67
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 10
Sugars (gram/fl. oz.) = 1
Carbohydrates (gram/fl.oz.) = 1

Bacardi Select Rum

Percent Alcohol = 40.0
Total calories per fl.oz. = 68
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 8

Bacardi Solera (1873) Rum

Percent Alcohol = 38.0
Total calories per fl.oz. = 62.0
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 2

Bacardi Superior Rum

Percent Alcohol = 40.0
Total calories per fl.oz. = 65
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 1

Bacardi Gold Rum

Percent Alcohol = 40.0
Total calories per fl.oz. = 65
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 2

Ciclon

Percent Alcohol = 35.0
Total calories per fl.oz. = 61.0
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 230

Bacardi Limon Rum

Percent Alcohol = 35.0
Total calories per fl.oz. = 66
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 440
Sugars (gram/fl. oz.) = 2
Carbohydrates (gram/fl.oz.) = 2

Bacardi O Rum

Percent Alcohol = 35.0
Total calories per fl.oz. = 68
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 105
Sugars (gram/fl. oz.) = 3
Carbohydrates (gram/fl.oz.) = 3

Bacardi Coco Rum

Percent Alcohol = 35.0
Total calories per fl. oz. = 67
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 1

Bacardi Vanila Rum

Percent Alcohol = 35.0
Total calories per fl. oz. = 65
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 2

Bacardi Razz Rum

Percent Alcohol = 35.0
Total calories per fl. oz. = 72
Fat (gram/100 ml) = 0
Sodium (ppm) = 900
Sugars (gram/fl. oz.) = 3
Carbohydrates (gram/fl.oz.) = 3

teresamay Tue, Apr-27-04 12:14

It could be as simple as your body telling you that it is at it's ideal weight. According to your profile you are 119 pounds and 5'2. That is on the low end for weight for your height, so maybe your body is trying to tell you that it isn't going to budge :) - have you considered maybe incorportating more excersize to try and get it going? I don't think the alcohol you have mentioned would have that much effect.