Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   SF pudding help..... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=88712)

daddyo Mon, Feb-24-03 16:36

SF pudding help.....

Just had my first try at SF chocolate pudding, not bad, but is there a way to lower the carb count of it? I assume the majority of the carbs come from the milk, so would using heavy cream be ok? Or would that distort the taste too much? Also are there any shake recipes that use SF pudding? Thanks for any help.

raze Mon, Feb-24-03 17:46

Well, whole milk is lower carb and tastes excellent! You could also try mixing some whater in instead? Its cheap stuff, so just experiment!
Hopefully you can resist eating the whole batch, unlike me

lkonzelman Mon, Feb-24-03 17:51

You can't have SF pudding during induction. Too many carbs I think. Just the powder is like 5-7 carbs without adding any cream.

After induction though this is an awesome treat (note you need to really be careful w/ portions because this is 8 servings here.

In a saucepan mix 1 package of SF chocolate pudding, 1/2 cup of heavy cream, 4 heaping tsp of peanut butter (or almond butter has less carbs), 4 packets of splenda

Mix until hot and creamy.

Then like fudge smooth on a plate and cool in fridge (covered).

Don't forget to lick the spoon.

nikkil Tue, Feb-25-03 05:52

my fave choc. treat is heavy whipping cream, splenda and cocoa. Just beat the whipping cream with hand mixer, add splenda and cocoa and keep beating. Takes less than 5 mins for a great, LC, chocolate-y 'mousse'. Some people add cream cheese, but I don't like it/need it in this dessert.
This is a lot like pudding, depending on ratio of cream to cocoa. I've added a couple of teaspoons of strong coffee (cooled) as well.
Nicole

Tiggerdy Tue, Feb-25-03 11:38

I just made that pseudo chocolate mousse last night. I couldn't believe how good it tasted! Now I just have to be careful on how much I consume this wonderful treat. BTW- I have one of those hand whipper thingies (like a mixer, but it's more of a drink whipper/blender) and it whipped up the heavy cream in like 5 seconds flat. No kidding. ;)

Happy LCing!
Nikki :daizy:

asugar Tue, Feb-25-03 12:23

When I make the sf chocolate pudding, I substitute 1/3 of the milk with black coffee. It cuts down on the carbs and gives it a mocha flavor.
asugar :wave:

lkonzelman Tue, Feb-25-03 12:54

NO MILK if you are on Atkins (unless super low carb soy milk)!

syboyce Tue, Feb-25-03 13:07

chocoate pudding pops

For a frozen treat, try this one (I found on the web):

Soften 8 ounces of cream cheese. Whip into that, one-half of a small pkg of SF chocolate pudding mix, 1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream and 4 pkts of splenda.

Spoon like cookies onto wax paper. Freeze, then transfer to container and keep in the freezer.

The whole batch totals 36 carbs, 1 fiber, 2099 calories, 205 fat, 24 protein.

Makes 30 "pops" ~ 1.2 carbs each, 70 calories, 7 fat, 1 protein.

They're really rich. You can try other flavors of SF pudding but I've only tried the chocolate cuz I'm a chocolate FREAK :roll:

Enjoy!
Dina

Kathy54 Tue, Feb-25-03 13:54

Hi, where are you guys finding the the Sugar free puddings? I can only find low fat.

Thanks Kathy

lkonzelman Tue, Feb-25-03 13:56

SF mixes are in the blue packaging in the supermarkets.

G.P. Hanes Tue, Feb-25-03 16:11

pudding made with tofu

Back in my Weight Watcher days, I had a class leader who was lactose intolerant. She gave us a recipe for pudding that used tofu and water instead of milk. In a blender, I buzzed a package of tofu, a packet of sugar-free instant chocolate pudding, and water. It set up like pudding, depending on the amount of water added. It tasted pretty good, and was high in protein, too. I think I'll dig out the recipe, and run the ingredients through Fit Day. It shouldn't be too carby.

G.P.

freydis Tue, Feb-25-03 17:17

Quote:
Originally posted by lkonzelman
NO MILK if you are on Atkins (unless super low carb soy milk)!

The red-cover version of DANDR contains a recipe on page 397 (and there might be others) which uses 1 cup of whole milk for Atkins Yorkshire Pudding.

Now, if you're saying no milk during Induction - fine. If you're saying no milk during OWL - that may be true for some. But to say that Atkins allows NO MILK, even during maintenance, would be incorrect.

Bevb Wed, Feb-26-03 17:42

Instead of milk you can use heavy cream and water to mix with the pudding and have less carbs then using whole milk. It will not change the taste.
There is a recipe for "Hershey kisses" in the dessert recipe section. I double the recipe and make about 80 little kisses and freeze in plastic bags. With that many it works out to about .9 grams of carbs and they melt in your mouth like icecream. I use all different flavors. Three or four of them will not add many carbs but will just help that urge to snack.
I love icecream and these make a fine substitution without adding alot of carbs. You just can't eat the whole batch LOL
Bev B

oroborous Mon, Mar-03-03 21:07

Best pudding ever

1 package Jello Sugar-Free Instant (No Cook) pudding mix, any flavor

1.5 cups heavy cream

0.5 cups unsweetened soy milk

Blend two minutes and pour into four half-cup dishes. Each serving has around 180 calories (15g fat, 6g carb, 3g protein). This is my favorite Atkins dessert, especially the white chocolate flavor. You can try monkeying with the ratios for more or less fat, but I've found it only sets up properly at 3:1 cream to soy.

Teuthis Tue, Mar-04-03 07:47

Be Cautious

Some people disagree with me, but I think it is wisest to eliminate sweet items from our diet in the beginning stages of the diet. Sugars are perhaps the most dangerous item we have to face in maintenance. Bringing those cravings and desires under control should be an early and consistent effort. Merely indulging in anything that tastes sweet, even if it does only contain minimal or no sugar, simply reinforces the desire and the intent to have sweets. I feel that in the early stages of the plan, we need to put our efforts into training ourselves out of the need for sweets.

Remember, maintenance is going to be a lot more difficult than the diet itself. And maintenance is where most people fail miserably.

Good Luck!