Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   how can I reduce my sodium intake on this WOE?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126670)

sl74 Tue, Jul-29-03 20:08

how can I reduce my sodium intake on this WOE??

hi just wondering if everyone has a hard time keeping their sodium intake down? Eating high fat/protein seems to make it difficult. Any suggestions? Thanks! :) I know that intake should be around 2400 mg but mine seems around 3500mg. :roll:

tofi Tue, Jul-29-03 20:16

Avoid cheese and cream and prepared foods like luncheon meats (which have a solution of sugars and salts added - even the roast beef, chicken & turkey.) Tinned foods also can have high sodium counts.
Milk & dairy have high sodium levels when they come from the cow - it's not added. Some veggies are naturally high in sodium - like carrots. Put your foods.

Stick with plain meats you bake, broil or roast yourself. Unsalted butter on the veggies. Just some suggestions.

:wiggle:

sl74 Tue, Jul-29-03 20:19

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Erick Tue, Jul-29-03 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl74
hi just wondering if everyone has a hard time keeping their sodium intake down? Eating high fat/protein seems to make it difficult. Any suggestions? Thanks! :) I know that intake should be around 2400 mg but mine seems around 3500mg. :roll:

Be careful with salad dressings, too. I sometimes get carried away with them and they have a ton of sodium. I now use olive oil and some rice wine vinegar. Beware of bacon and sausage, my other 2 vices. Like tofi said - avoid anything canned, especially canned tuna unless it is low or no sodium kind. Also things like pork rhinds are high in sodium... I noticed my sodium level increased dramatically when I went on this diet a few months ago, I have only recently (a couple of weeks) been able to curb it and get it below where it was when I started. Good luck!

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-30-03 10:18

One thing that helped me was getting a pottassium salt subs for cooking and for anything I wanted to sprinkle salt on. Read lables too. I found those bonless skinless chicken breasts that are so convinent are injected with a sodium mixture for preservation and high sodium. The less something is processed, the less sodium it has usually. I do allow myself occasional higher sodium treats like turkey pepperoni, but I try to have it early in the day with extra water to flush it out.

If you have a problem with convience foods, try doing things like making your own jerky. That way you control not only the salt, but the sugar as well. Another reason I lke Diet Rite is it has 0 sodium, most other diet pops have added for some reason. Just be careful. On a few things labled low sodium they add in sugar to make up for the taste of the missing salt :\

Mr.Mel Wed, Jul-30-03 10:20

I was shocked when I started keeping a fitday journal and looked at how high my sodium intake was! I have had to watch it a lot closer. The fitday really helps with that.