Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What tips helped your stalls? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=94090)

willdothis Sun, Mar-23-03 10:52

What tips helped your stalls?

Hello,I have been doing induction since feb,I have been up and down and now up,I do realize that I am carb sensitive,I have stopped bars,do not use any sweetner anymore,I use atkins syrup 1 time a day to sweeten my decaff.I enjoy this way of eating and feel really good,Iam in ketosis all the time,drink lots of water and had a couple of slip ups but carb friendly ones.I have not had bread and this is the longest I have gone doing this.I am now sticking to olive oil,and all the acceptable foods on the induction list,I even exercise more now than ever.I am not complaing,because I feel good thank god.But I feel that i should have lost a little more even in inches.I have been up the same 6 pounds since i have started.And if it were not for these boards,I would not have learned so much and felt so supported.So please share what has helped u over a stall,besides using all the acceptable foods during induction,i even am under the amount of cheese that we can have.!!THANK U SO MUCH :wave:

DoubleD Sun, Mar-23-03 10:57

I have been in a plateau for some time now... but I HAVE lost inches and a few pounds over this long period (3 months) so technically it is not a stall... just a VERY slow period of loss for me. In an effort to kick start the weight loss again, I have focussed my attention on keeping my calories in a range of 1,200 to 1,400 (try for 1,300 on average which is 10X my goal weight). I am also trying to keep my net carbs to around 20 and my ratios of fat, carbs, and protein to 65%/5%/30%. I found I was keeping my fat percentage much higher and my carbs much lower than this before... so I am trying to stay at the Atkins suggested ratios for induction. Guess what!? I have lost 1 pound in the last three days... and feel less hungry to boot... so I think I needed more protein less fat... and these ratios are accomplishing that. I plan to keep doing this for a while in the hopes that I really do jump start my losing again.

Pooch Sun, Mar-23-03 13:30

Eat more fat. When I did, it broke the stall.

blatla Sun, Mar-23-03 14:47

I found that I was actually eating too little and when I started eating more, my stall broke. I wasn't subtracting the fiber from my carb count so I was only eating around 10 carbs per day...not enough. I've been aiming for 25 net carbs/day for the past week and I've lost 2.5 pounds. I don't bother counting calories...but they've ranged between 1500 and 2200. I added more veggies and I cut way back on my cheese intake. So far so good!

Tricia

Elihnig Sun, Mar-23-03 16:32

No fake foods, no or very limited dairy, upped water intake to 150 oz.

Beth

Alina Mon, Mar-24-03 00:57

Hi Jen!

I agree with the others. I was never in a real stall, just stopped loosing for 4 weeks after a big loss on induction. This is both normal and healthy, according to my doctor our bodies are doing a pretty tough job loosing so much weight in the beginning.
I also upped my fat intake to 75-78 % a day, added fresh veggies and upped the water intake. Good for you to stop artificial sweeteners, well done!
I'm glad you mentioned that you're feeling good. Try to remember other benefits of this WOE, stick to it and you WILL see the results, they do not come as fast as we would wish (if only!!!), but they come!
This might be an irritating clichee, but every time I get impatient I say to myself: did you gain all those pounds in 2-3 weeks, 2 -3 months?
Bless you!
Alina

Pat S. Mon, Mar-24-03 13:07

Hi Willdothis,
I am with you I started induction again :rolleyes: on Feb 17 I lost 6 pounds in induction and have gained and lost 3 of those pounds I don't know how many times. I have upped my fat,water and exercise. I am just hanging in there and hoping for the weight loss to begin. Hang in there we can do it in fact I have done it more than once. :daze: Pat

jellyfissh Mon, Mar-24-03 13:12

Stall breaker

Hi Jen,

I tried the fat fast, and got a 2 pound loss for two days of that. I am now thinking about the meat fast, I like meat better than fat. Has anyone else tried those?

These suggestions are under the low-carb tips section. I wouldn't recommend the E-A-C idea. I learned in pharmacology that combining ephedrine and caffeine can kill a body.

Good Luck!

ChristyC Mon, Mar-24-03 13:16

Hi everyone.....I started the Adkins diet at the end of October 2002. In January I went off of the diet, and have just returned last week. I weighed 198 lbs when I began, and wore a size 18. I now weigh 146 lbs(as of 6 a.m today), and just fit into a size 9. Anyways, while I haven't been on a stall as of yet, when I felt like I wasn't losing like I should, I tried a no carb day. I ate bacon and chicken and pork chops....all kinds of meat, but no carbs. Each time I tried this, I had a 2-3 lb weight loss within 2 days. This may not work for everyone, but it might be worth a try. Best of luck:)

lkonzelman Mon, Mar-24-03 13:48

I have been at the same weight now since November but continue to lose inches.

I have changed my goal accordingly. I check my measurements monthly now and try to completely avoid the scale (I have lost 2 inches off waist since Feb 22nd).

I no longer care what the scale says when I am comfortable in size 8s and have a firm body then I will be officially at my goal.

I have been doing some reading about this and because we lcers burn fat and increase muscle we tend to be smaller not necessarily lighter. A lot of us fit in sizes that would usually take less weight to wear.

So my advice is to check and see if you are progressing.... a stall is no progress and losing inches is a great progress!

willdothis Mon, Mar-24-03 16:54

THANK U !!

I want to thank everyone for giving me advice and for answering my post I cant tell you how helpful you all are and to know that I have friends that are going through the same thing too!!!! I keep checking back and every little piece helps me,so keep it coming and thank you all again god bless

:roll: :wave: :bhug:

vixen69 Wed, Mar-26-03 21:37

Patience. :)

After that, upping my carbs from 15-25/day to 40-50/day, vitamins, occasional exercise (walking) and real food. I've never been much of junk food afficionado, I prefered sugar in any form or shape. I don't drink any shakes, eat bars or any of the other low carb snacks. Occasionally when I am desperate for something sweet and baked, I make the Atkins muffins. Unfortunatelly, I always fall off the low carb wagon because I OD on them. :mad:

slack32 Thu, Mar-27-03 15:54

Hang in there! You'll do it. (At least that is what I keep telling myself!) I always tell myself it took a long time to gain the weight- it's going to take a while to lose it too. I am personally going to try to not worry about what the scale says, and think about how my clothes are fitting!

jers52 Thu, Mar-27-03 17:00

it helps...

I think it is so wonderful that everyone here admits to the same type of difficulties. Not feeling alone when we 'hover' at a weight (hey that is a nice light metaphor isn't it - maybe I shall use that instead of stall...)
I am 'hovering' lately - for about a month - I reread the FAT FAST portion, and am considering that - but really don't know if I could do even a few days that way... so instead hafta hit the treadmill!!! :wave:

Jan