Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   LC Convention (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=87067)

SummerYet Sun, Feb-16-03 09:32

LC Convention

OK... I have been inspired by others wih are getting together and meeting. I was thinking about organizing an LC convention...complete with vendors...samples...workshops...all that kind of fun stuff...AND on top of it, a lot of people would get to meet each other finally!
Before I talk to the powers that be...I wanted to see if there was a general interest in something like this...please complete the poll above and help me out!

DDMariana Sun, Feb-16-03 11:38

Yes...finally...let's start knocking on doors and windows...

So many of us have already talked about meeting in our local areas - actually Videofox and I had lunch together and got to have a long talk...it was really, really nice. She's somewhat local and drove down for some shopping...great time, wonderful lady...and we're going to do it again.

In other discussions here and there on this very subject, it was suggested that Vancouver might be selected because that's where this forum was founded... then some of us said, hey Las Vegas is closer... :D (to us anyway!) and cheap, etc.

So...let's at least get a feel for whether people would make this their yearly vacation or not...I would (unless it's in Europe and costs 3 grand to go...) Otherwise, I'm there...

:wave:

SummerYet Sun, Feb-16-03 11:40

Hmmm...do I hear an co-chair in the making?? :D Not that i am voulenteering your services or anything ;)

~Michelle

ShirleyAnn Sun, Feb-16-03 13:39

I used to attend OA Conventions and always had a blast. They also had workshops too! I always came home feeling so much better about the program and myself. My vote is ..... go for it!

freydis Sun, Feb-16-03 13:41

Along similar lines, there is a place online called Meetup.com that organizes monthly meetings in cities all over the world. We use their services for BookCrossing. If at least four people agree to come to the meeting in your area, Meetup sets a place and time. It works pretty well for local gatherings, though it wouldn't work for a larger convention.

tbagram Sun, Feb-16-03 14:07

Las Vegas! There seems to always be cheap airfares and hotel pkg. offered to Las Vegas. I've never been and would be able to afford the pkgs. offered from Western NY. :thup: Vonnie

loril65 Sun, Feb-16-03 15:44

I am new here. Hi all

I would love to go!

My preferred location would also be vegas. I am in Utah.

ladybugvv Sun, Feb-16-03 16:31

Sounds great!

I think a convention would be a great idea! Las Vegas is an excellent choice b/c of the cheap flights & hotel rooms, but I'd try to go anywhere the majority chooses. Vegas also has excellent resources available.

I plan functions for a living, and would be happy to be on any committee or assist in any way.

Princesspp Sun, Feb-16-03 18:40

I'm in full agreement ...

with Las Vegas .....

at least from the midwest .. it's relatively easy to get to -- air fares are rather inexpensive, and hotel rooms (some) are relatively inexpensive ...

:D

I love the idea .. and believe that it should be somewhat centrally located .. but as far as being "lopsided" .. Vegas would be the best in my eyes especially since the pole is leaning towards the "if the transportation and hotel is reasonable" ...

:yay:

Good idea Michelle .. run with it!!!:D

Princesspp Sun, Feb-16-03 18:41

Quote:
Originally posted by freydis
Along similar lines, there is a place online called Meetup.com that organizes monthly meetings in cities all over the world. We use their services for BookCrossing. If at least four people agree to come to the meeting in your area, Meetup sets a place and time. It works pretty well for local gatherings, though it wouldn't work for a larger convention.

What would be the cost of their services????

SummerYet Sun, Feb-16-03 19:16

This is great...

I have to say though, being a Jersey girl, Vegas isn't exactly central for me...but it is somewhere I have always wanted to go so hey...its a good possiblity!

Ladybug...I will definately turn to you if things progress!! Thanks for the offer :)

~Michelle

purnois Sun, Feb-16-03 19:29

Keynote speaker, Dr. Robert Atkins!?!?!?!?! :D

Kathy :rheart:

SummerYet Sun, Feb-16-03 19:37

Will definately be attempted...you can count on THAT! :D

Mahoney Sun, Feb-16-03 20:34

I'm game, but only if I get to room with Donna. :D

Seriously, I've never been to Vegas and lots of planes go there so the airfare should be cheap. Count me in.

PoofieD Sun, Feb-16-03 21:14

well bob.. hun

I don't know if we want any divorces because of this..
Do we get a permission slip from your wife for rooming with Donna??
LOL
Nedra