Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   How often does everyone weigh? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=102210)

orygungirl Wed, Apr-30-03 17:12

How often does everyone weigh?

I know for me its hard for me not to weigh every morning... not sure if thats good or bad as much as it seems to fluctuate. Just wondering what everyones thoughts and opinions are on it.

tracy

lesleyc Wed, Apr-30-03 19:15

The answer to this will probably depend very much on how long ythe person has been LCing and how much weight they are losing ;)

For me I lost easily to start with and weighed every day. I always saw the scale either stay the same or go down. Once weight loss slowed to about 2-4lbs per month I went to once a week.

now that I am hardly losing/stalled...I avoid the wretched contraption like the plague :D

Lesley

tekunoroji Wed, Apr-30-03 20:00

Whatever anyone tells you, it's only good or bad depending on how you take what the scale tells you each day.

I'm an every morning weigher. I'll admit it freely.

It was an awesome motivator when I was losing an average of 4.75lbs per week. But last week I hung around the same 2 pounds all week and it DROVE ME NUTS!

And to tears. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. I was trying to accept that my body just lost 50% of the excess weight in 3 weeks and it probably needed a rest.

So as an obsessive, every day weigher... my advice would be to weigh every day if the weight is coming off. But if you notice it doesn't budge for a day or two, throw that scale in a cabinet for a week and THEN check. Don't obsess that you haven't lost a pound in 2-3 days by checking the damn thing every morning. God that just about threw me over the edge...

Don't be like I was! lol :daze:

= Meagan

orygungirl Wed, Apr-30-03 22:44

thanks for the input.. right now im still in induction.. but the weight loss has slowed way down.. the first week i lost 10 lbs and everyday was like wooohoooooo.. but today i got on and i had went back up 2 :( made it kinda hard not to get discouraged a lil bit.

ladybugvv Wed, Apr-30-03 22:51

Every day

I weigh every day and then I average it out by the week. To be honest though, I am more concerned about my measurements. The scale can fluctuate, but the tape tells the truth! At least, in my opinion.

poetree Thu, May-01-03 00:05

Recent Poll answers your question

I recently posed this question in the form of a poll. You can read about 40 responsed and 200 votes here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=99816

tekunoroji Thu, May-01-03 19:41

...and speaking of this topic, my bod fluctuated right back up to 189/190 today.

UGH!!!!

Damn the scale!

= Meagan

kkaye76 Fri, May-02-03 10:38

I find that I use the scale to my advantage and I weigh every day. Just know that your body weight DOES fluctuate and dont use it as a whipping post.
It helps me to maintain a semblance of stability and my weight wont fluctuate much before I start looking and examining what Im eating, when, how, etc etc if my weight chance is extreme or moving in a trend that Im not happy with.

Nelle90 Fri, May-02-03 10:49

Every morning

I weigh myself every morning and record my daily weight in a spreadsheet, but my "Official" weight is whatever I weigh on Sunday. I also measure every Sunday to see the changes there as well.

One reason why I weigh myself every day is to see for myself that weight fluctuates regularly throughout the week. In a weird way, my daily weighing confirms the fact that what you weigh on any given day doesn't mean all that much. It's only the average or the general pattern of losing that's really important. It's kind of like the Olympics... an athlete has been training hard and doing well and they should reap the reward on race day... but that happens to be the day that they come down with a cold and so they don't do as well. Sunday is like race day for me. And even if the weight loss isn't as large on Sunday as I thought it should be, I can see the over the course of the week I've been doing what I needed to do and that my weight was simply fluctuating.

Also, it's a good barometer to keep tabs on yourself if you're adding new foods or changing your routine to see if something's causing your weight to stall. My thinking is that I'd like to know right away instead of waiting for a week to go by.

Nelle

MaryToU Fri, May-02-03 10:50

I normally weigh in every day, but right now I am trying to hold our till Mother's Day. Not to say I haven't slipped up now and then. And once Mother's Day comes and goes, it back to the daily weigh in! :roll: :roll: :roll:

CarbsKill Fri, May-02-03 20:24

2 times a week

I get weighed twice a week when I donate Plasma.

I love the look on their faces when my weight randomly goes up or down 10 pounds in two or three days! They always say "oh no, that cant be right", and I have to go into my lecture about being on a CKD, no sugar, then lots of sugar, glycogen depletion, then supercompensation, water weight, yadda yadda. I still don't think they "get it".

(If you are scratching your head, wondering what a CKD is, check out the CKD forum on this site :) )

See ya, :wave:

Michelle