Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Quick Meals & Snacks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   making no carb beef jerky (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=136123)

ian559 Tue, Sep-09-03 17:56

making no carb beef jerky

I have the bug. I am dieing for jerky!!!!!!!
Every brand I can find has sugar in it even though it says low carb.
So as I have made tons of jerky and homemade sausages I am going to do it low carb.

I came up with this combo first and it is in the dehydrator as I type this

3lbs lean round steak (all fat and silver skin removed)

Marinade:
4tbls reduced sodium salt (atkins gives me cramps this salt has potas)
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic
1tsp chili powder
1tsp pepper
1tsp cayanne
3 dashes liquid smoke
1/2 cup water

mix the spices and the smoke and water let sit
Slice the beef in 1/4 inch thick slices.
Pour marinade over the meat and mix it up. Make sure it is all covered evenly. Let marinate at least 1 hour

Place meat in dehydrator. As you stack the trays sprinkle pepper on the meat. Set to 155 degrees and dont check for 4 hours. It can take up to ten hours.

I sure hope this works. Its nitrate free!!!! Sugar Free. I have come up with at least 4 more low carb jerky recipes. 1 of them uses splenda.

Does anyone know the carb count in mortons tender quick?

ian559 Wed, Sep-10-03 13:33

OK!!!!! Its out of the a low carb snack dehydrator. Its so good. Even my jerky junky kids think dads "diet" jerky is better than they buy in the store!!!!! Finally a low carb snack that they like too. They came home from school and asked for jerky and not candy!!!

delilah Wed, Dec-03-03 17:31

so, what're your other recipes?

The one listed sounds good, but I have a ton of soy sauce and no smoke!

atlee Wed, Dec-03-03 18:02

I use the following:
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp seasoned salt (Lowry's, Tony Chachere's, etc).
t tsp liquid smoke

I think you could probably omit the liquid smoke and it would still be fine, although it gives it a nice hickory taste.

Also, if you don't have a dehydrator, note that the oven works just fine too. Put it on the very lowest temperature (175-200), lay the jerky out on a rack set over a pan to catch the drips, and bake it for 3-4 hours until it's fully dried.

You really will be amazed just how much better homemade jerky is than store-bought -- the quality of the meat makes a HUGE difference! I just wish beef prices would go down...

Ghost Wed, Dec-24-03 13:43

I love beef jerky! :yum:

I have a very simple recipe. I just soak the beef in soya sauce & garlic powder. It turns out really good. Usually 1/2 gets eaten by DH & DD before it's actually dry. :lol:

Darrelll Sat, Jan-24-04 12:32

Reduced Sodium Salt???

I'd be reluctant to use a substitute for salt as salt is the principle ingredients that is the preservative and the bacteria killer.

That is unless the jerkey doesn't last more than a few days and is stored in the fridg. But still, the salt kills the bacteria...

That said, I think I will have to make some jerky as you guys have given me a hankering for some jerky. And yes, all the store bought stuff I looked at had too much sugar/carbs.

My two cents