Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Constipation isn't the problem... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=26530)

DeeSinn Wed, Nov-28-01 13:45

Constipation isn't the problem...

Constipation has never been a problem for me with this WOE. But I do get boughts of diarrhea. Not overwhelming or watery. More like very loose, dark greasy stools. I'm sorry this is sort of gross but I wondered what the cause was. It usually hits when I'm heavily into ketosis. Is it a high fat content or what? It usually lasts for a week or so then I'm back to normal. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Just curious. I know many people have problems with constipation but never hear too much about the opposite. Thanks for the help.

gecolon Wed, Nov-28-01 17:30

I'm with you girl. I notice that many do have problems with const. ,but I am the complete opposite. I was wondering [as you are] if that is fat in dem der woods :) That is what it looks like. I eat a lot of fat, so... I guessed that was why I was so loose and greasy. Yuk, huh? I guess I would rather be like this then backed up. This way I know that I'm not carrying extra weight, because I can't go to the bathroom. :D

tamarian Wed, Nov-28-01 18:00

Check out the Tips section from the menu above, there's a detailed article on this topic by Doreen.

Wa'il

Natrushka Wed, Nov-28-01 18:02

Yes, it's probably the fat. I experienced this during the initial two weeks of LCing but it went away (transient type). I notice it less and less now that I am eating more protein than fat. You can take a fiber supplement that will "bulk up" the stool; something like psyllium husks or fibercon. There's an article under Low Carb Tips called "Intestinal Health" with some good ideas.

HTH
Nat

RamonaK Thu, Nov-29-01 07:54

Whew!

I signed on this morning... to ask this VERY question. I have noticed the same thing... and getting concerned ... I am a pretty 'regular' and healthy gal and so I was wondering if it was from the LC. I suppose it is all the 'crap' coming out of our bodies.. :D No offense to anyone!!!!

I may try the psyllium... thanks Nat

Ramona

P.S. Another wierd question. Does anyone experience a wierd build up on their teeth? I do brush regularly (so don't go there :D ) But find the back of my teeth get a wierd build up... and I really have to pay attention to cleaning them...

gecolon Thu, Nov-29-01 11:02

~RamonaK
Since I'm not eating carby/starchy foods, my teeth feel a lot cleaner. I gargle with Listerine twice a day. We are entering the winter season here and I don't want to get sick. If I gargle once in the morning and before I go to bed at night. It kills all those germs that have accumulated in my mouth over the day [ I was told to do this by a 95 yr old women who was a school teacher for 45 yrs and never missed a day of work. I figured hey if it worked for her,and she was around all those kids..... it has to work for me.] I also don't have the problem (bad breath) that alot of us on this way of life do.