Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Low Carb Foods May Mean High Fat and Calories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=180092)

Demi Thu, Apr-22-04 15:01

Low Carb Foods May Mean High Fat and Calories

Just because the label says "low carb" doesn't mean it'll help you lose weight. In fact, according to registered dietician Jennifer Mikulich from Community Health Care Wausau Hospital, low carbohydrate foods often come with added fats.

She says the growth in foods designated "low carb" has been tremendous in a short time. "Now they even have low carb options for candy bars and ice cream," says Mikulich.

Mikulich says consumers are being misled by the Atkins Diet carb craze and they don't typically read the nutritional information on the back of the product. We compared many items at a local grocery store and found that whether it was salad dressing, yogurt or granola bars, the low-carb food had a higher fat and calorie content.

The one exception?

"I may recommend a low carb bread," says Mikulich, because it doesn't have added fat and has more fiber".

One final warning from nutritionists, they say low carb dieters run the risk of depression, kidney stones and osteoporosis. You should consult with your personal physician before you restrict carbs from your diet. It can be very harmful for diabetic patients who are already taking insulin-regulating drugs.

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/693537.html

How many more times will they roll out the depression, kidney stones, osteoporisis scare tactics :rolleyes:

Angeline Thu, Apr-22-04 15:23

And when will they quit the low-fat litany. Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt. Low-fat is dead. Get over it.

patricia52 Thu, Apr-22-04 15:26

*Sigh* Just doesn't get it, does she?
Actually I do get depressed -- with people who just shoot off their mouths about low carb eating without doing any research into it.

Lisa N Thu, Apr-22-04 15:35

Quote:
You should consult with your personal physician before you restrict carbs from your diet. It can be very harmful for diabetic patients who are already taking insulin-regulating drugs.

There is some truth in that, but they neglect to give the reason why. If you are taking medications to reduce your blood sugar and the dose is based on a typical higher carb diet, suddenly cutting your carbs can make the medication unnecessary or at the very least you will need a much lower dose than you are currently taking. If you continue to take your normal dose along with cutting your carbs, it's possible to wind up with a hypoglycemic reaction.
Moral of the story? Work with your doctor when you are a diabetic switching to low carb to reduce and/or eliminate your medications as your blood sugars drop and they [the medications] become unnecessary. :)
If you are responsible and work with your doctor in this manner, low carbing for diabetics becomes no more dangerous than it is for anyone else. Take it from someone who's been a Type 2 diabetic for over 12 years and a low carber (now medication-free, thank you) for over 3. :D

Angeline Thu, Apr-22-04 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
There is some truth in that, but they neglect to give the reason why.

In fact it's close to malpractice to forget to mention just how much low-carb can improve someone who is diabetic. I suppose they think that the possibility of "depression, kidney stones and osteoporosis" is not a good trade-off for what pratically amounts to a cure for diabetes.

Such ignorance could easily lead to malpractice suits in other circumstances.

JL53563 Fri, Apr-23-04 10:48

"Mikulich says consumers are being misled by the Atkins Diet carb craze and they don't typically read the nutritional information on the back of the product. We compared many items at a local grocery store and found that whether it was salad dressing, yogurt or granola bars, the low-carb food had a higher fat and calorie content. "

They just don't get it, do they. I average about 6o% fat in my diet and lost 40 pounds and have kept it off effortlessly. The more fat the better, I say. LOL

JL53563 Fri, Apr-23-04 10:49

And I should add, my lipid profile is very good.

gawdess Fri, Apr-23-04 11:00

Lol....Duh!

Lisa N Fri, Apr-23-04 14:13

Quote:
Mikulich says consumers are being misled by the Atkins Diet carb craze and they don't typically read the nutritional information on the back of the product.

This may be true for a lot of folks who see the words "low carb" and assume that all must be well.
There are a lot of us, though, who DO read the labels. What they don't get is that I'm not looking at the percentage of calories from fat but rather whether or not the product contains hydrogenated oils and added sugars such as high fructose corn syrup. Forget reading the nutritional information...read the ingredients! :rolleyes:

CindySue48 Fri, Apr-23-04 15:34

"We compared many items at a local grocery store and found that whether it was salad dressing, yogurt or granola bars, the low-carb food had a higher fat and calorie content."

They make LC granola? Wonder if it's any good!

patricia52 Fri, Apr-23-04 17:46

I tried some low carb granola and it was pretty good, but I found it too sweet. My tastes are changing.
With half and half instead of milk it's also really rich.

Rosie Real Fri, Apr-23-04 18:25

Quote:
Mikulich says consumers are being misled by the Atkins Diet carb craze and they don't typically read the nutritional information on the back of the product.

WHAT?? I am almost obsessive about reading labels. I think what they meant to say was: "registered dieticians are misled by the media and don't typically read the book to find out how it works." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've found that most dieticians and nutritionists have had the food pyramid tattooed on their brains. It's a permanent thing and only a few more years of positive results is ever going to change the way these reports read. Whatever. Let them eat their Snackwells and cry every time they get on the scale.

Grimalkin Fri, Apr-23-04 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Low Carb Foods May Mean High Fat and Calories

They darn well better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdess
Lol....Duh!

My sentiments exactly!

PoofieD Sat, Apr-24-04 06:38

Quote:
In fact it's close to malpractice to forget to mention just how much low-carb can improve someone who is diabetic. I suppose they think that the possibility of "depression, kidney stones and osteoporosis" is not a good trade-off for what pratically amounts to a cure for diabetes

My Father is doing so much better on Dr. Bernestien, there is no comparison. He actually gets NORMAL blood Sugars now!
My sister that ALWAYS has pregnancy related diabetes is in control.. all going low carb and ignoring the old pyramid and the nutritionists that are having heart failure, even though she is doing so well.
They look at what she eats, and IGNORE her incredible numbers. Lucky she has a Dr that DOESN'T do that.

MyJourney Sat, Apr-24-04 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
What they don't get is that I'm not looking at the percentage of calories from fat but rather whether or not the product contains hydrogenated oils and added sugars such as high fructose corn syrup. Forget reading the nutritional information...read the ingredients! :rolleyes:

Amen! Thats excatly what they dont get!