Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Thickener for gravies (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126515)

Hilary M Tue, Jul-29-03 11:20

Thickener for gravies

I like to make a simple gravy to go with a pot roast or pork tenderloin. Of course, now that flour is off limits, I need a thickening agent. I'm willing to spend a fortune to buy the Atkins ThickenThin/Not Starch if I have to, but I wanted to know if there are any alternatives. I've heard of people using arrowroot. Has anyone tried this, or do you know of anything else I could use? I'd prefer it to be in a powder form similar to flour.

yvonne326 Tue, Jul-29-03 11:31

I use soy flour mixed with water (to get out lumps) and add that to my sauce. Just make sure you get the lowest carb soy flour out there. I have also used grated parmisiana cheese (in thickening red or italian-based sauces).

Hilary M Tue, Jul-29-03 12:53

Anyone tried xanthan gum or guar gum?

potatofree Tue, Jul-29-03 13:05

Thick-n-thin Not Starch is my favorite. It thickens hot or cold liquids with no funny tastes (I HATE soy flour!) It's made from a bland of vegetable gums including xanthan gum, and has NO countable carbs.

atiaran Tue, Jul-29-03 13:18

I usually use ThicknThin. It may cost a lot but you will be amazed how long it lasts. I have had the same packet for 6 months now and am about 3/4 way through. I also use a bit of cream or cream cheese sometimes. Arrowroot actually has quite a few carbs: 14g per 2 tbsp.

Rosebud Tue, Jul-29-03 18:36

Cream!! I just stir in heavy (fat content >35%) cream. Let it simmer until it has thickened nicely, and, yum!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

mizholly Tue, Jul-29-03 19:16

Hi Hilary,

I've used arrowroot successfully, it's good, but it does have a few more carbs than you might want to "waste". You can also use the Thick n' Thin, but you might want to try this:

Just use the pan drippings (add water, stock or canned broth if you need more finished product) - bring it to a very low simmer, add a few pats of butter, one at a time - whisking constantly. Reduce the sauce while whisking some more, add some cream to finish and voila!! It's a lovely brown gravy, just like Mom used to make (only Better!!)

Give it a try - I use with all kinds of meats and poultry and I've never had a complaint :)

Have fun!

Holly

amistad Wed, Jul-30-03 04:56

I go by the atkin's diet and the fat flush plan diet [also low carb] and it says that arrowroot powder is the only legal thickener and won't "disrupt the system."

The book, of course, goes to explain why and all that but sorry! can't furnish you that info cos my friend took my book.

freckles Wed, Jul-30-03 14:59

Thank you Rosebud and Mizholly!!! I've been looking for a gravy thickner on recipe websites for days. Can't wait to try this!