Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Are you treated different now that you are thin?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=154983)

MrsTU Sun, Dec-21-03 22:31

Are you treated different now that you are thin??

Have any of y'all noticed that people treat you different since you've lost weight?

His,
MrsTU

Smoosh Mon, Dec-22-03 00:17

Absolutely! It's almost like I get more respect. Although, I am sure it's because I carry myself differently. I have had a huge boost in confidence since losing these 50lbs.

I have noticed that I get a lot more stares and smiles from men lately. That used to be a familiar thing for me...oh so many years ago. :lol:

Wenzday Mon, Dec-22-03 06:46

Ditto everything Smooch said! lol

irisda Mon, Dec-22-03 10:34

I definitely feel like there is a difference since some pounds have come off. My mom says its probably more my attitude and being more open and (smiley) making me more approachable. There may be some component of that but I think a lot of it the actual weight loss. People really do treat you differently.

meagan Mon, Dec-22-03 10:46

People I know take notice and tell me how great I'm doing. What makes me mad is that I get all of these little comments from them...about how great my nails look and how pretty my earrings are...when my nails and earrings haven't changed a bit! Like those things weren't worth noting before,when I was 50 lbs more. I don't know if I am explaining myself very well... :rolleyes: Maybe I'm just being silly....

NANCI B Mon, Dec-22-03 15:50

I am starting to become visible to people instead of invisible. I am not sure I like it. Crazy, huh?
Nanci

Marchstart Mon, Dec-22-03 16:42

I agree with you Nanci...I get noticed alot now...and its kinda hard to take....I have been overweight a long time..and got used to it. Now its like..Im on display for everyone to see..comment...good or bad...Takes some getting used to let me tell ya. Im happy im thinner..just need to adjust my thoughts..about me...
So far no negative feedback....it seems to be all good!..

mudknife Mon, Dec-22-03 19:56

I'm getting treated a little different now that the weight loss is more noticeable. Friends and family compliment me which is something I need to get used to. I smile more now, am more active and am friendlier to people so that may have something to do with it too.

just4fun Tue, Dec-23-03 13:23

Yes! I am no longer the invisible fat lady! Strangers never used to talk to me. Now it seems that people (mostly men) actually go out of their way to start a conversation with me. Before, men NEVER talked to me.

LCchickFL Tue, Dec-23-03 13:29

I definitely get treated differently.

This happened the last time I lost over 100# too and probably contributed to me regaining my lost weight. It was very aggravating to be treated better simply because I was a smaller size. People would offer me seats on the bus or train and hold doors open for me, etc. Heck, I NEEDED the seat when I was 300# NOT when I was in the 170s. Now these were people who didn't know jack diddly about me or my attitude, so it definitely wasn't that I was acting nicer or more friendly.

I always knew thin people got treated better but, being confronted with it on a daily basis was hard to take. At least I'm prepared for it this time and I'm 17 yrs. older, so hopefully I can handle it better now.

Atkins4myW Tue, Dec-23-03 18:03

I don't get treated any different really. Folks make a point of coming up to me and telling me that I'm doing a great job in my efforts to lose weight. Some even tell me I should be done losing. But these are the same people who would tell me how much they appreciated the job I was doing for an elderly neighbor when i was 300+ pounds. I guess what I'm saying is they don't treat me any different but the focus of their compliments has changed from my efforts towards others to my efforts towards myself. Guess I just hang out with a great group of folks.

Amaara Thu, Dec-25-03 07:22

The first time I noticed this I was in college, on an extreme low fat diet, and running 3 miles/day. I noticed that other women, especially, became really nasty to me. I went into therapy over it.

I had lost over 100 pounds (and still had 50 to go) and I was in a real quandry over my body image. I would stare at my face in the mirror for hours. I looked like a Modigliani painting to myself. The funny thing is, I was still overweight to anyone who hadn't known me before. So I was both really thin and still fat, and man did it mess with me. But I do remember when I entered the sexual competition arena, that place where I ceased to be everyone's cute fat pal and became a threat.

I don't know it will be an issue now. I am married, a mother. However, I feel real empathy for younger women who lose a lot of weight. Thank goodness folks have the Internet now.

~~Amaara