Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   WOW! Bring On The Broccoli! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=47011)

heyjude607 Sat, Jun-08-02 18:05

WOW! Bring On The Broccoli!

One of the 10 Best Foods to Eat (AND LOW CARB TOO)

Scientists say that a chemical found in broccoli can kill one of the most frequent causes of ulcers -- a bacterium that can also lead to stomach cancer.

Researchers say as much as 80% to 90% of the people in developing countries are infected with H. pylori -- the bacterium that causes ulcers and can lead to deadly stomach cancers. And the bacterium is also found commonly in people in the U.S. that suffer from ulcers or stomach irritation. Although the infection can usually be treated with a combination of antibiotics, about 15% to 20% of cases are resistant to treatment.

But the secret ingredient in broccoli -- called sulforaphane -- may provide a valuable alternative for treating these infections. In laboratory tests, researchers found a purified form of sulforaphane even killed forms of the bacteria that were resistant to commonly used antibiotics. The research appears in the May 28 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"We've known for some time that sulforaphane had modest antibiotic activity," says study author Jed Fahey, a plant physiologist at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, in a news release. "However, its potency against [H. pylori], even those strains resistant to conventional antibiotics, was a pleasant surprise."

The researchers say more studies are needed to determine if dietary sources of sulforaphane, such as broccoli, are powerful enough on their own to kill the bacteria. If further studies confirm this finding, vegetables may be adapted to various regions for use by the local populations to reduce H. pylori infection.

Researchers say they aren't exactly sure how the compound works as an infection fighter. But animal tests show it may protect against cancer by boosting the production of proteins that detoxify certain cancer-causing agents.

heyjude607 Sat, Jun-08-02 18:59

Broccoli:

This vegetable is one of the most healthful foods, period. It is also easier to digest than other members of the cabbage family.

Few vegetables have the nutritional punch of broccoli, which is full of antioxidant vitamins, minerals and several potent phytochemicals, including:

lutein and zeaxanthin, two carotenoids that are thought to protect vision from age-related macular degeneration
beta-carotene, which the body uses to manufacture vitamin A
indoles, compounds that may protect against breast, colon, esophageal, prostate and lung cancers
monoterpenes, antioxidants that increase immunity
sulforaphane, which boosts the production of cancer-fighting enzymes such as quinone reductase
phenethyl isothiocyanate, a phytochemical thought to protect against lung cancer

One half-cup of broccoli has 2.3 grams of protein, 2.3 grams of fiber, 3.9 grams of carbohydrate, 21.8 calories and no fat. It also supplies 39 micrograms of folate, 58 milligrams of vitamin C—1,082 IU of vitamin A and 36 milligrams of calcium. Broccoli is also a good source of iron and riboflavin.

Broccoli florets are richer in beta-carotene than stalks are, and the leaves are higher still. If the leaves are young and very fresh, add them to a salad. Otherwise, cook them with the broccoli or use them in soups and stir-fries.

Heat and water destroy vitamins, so cook broccoli rapidly and with minimal contact with water. Sautéing, steaming, blanching and roasting are ideal methods. When you boil broccoli, many of the B vitamins and vitamin C in up in the cooking liquid. Don't pour these vitamins down the drain, use the liquid in soup.
Cook broccoli only until it is bright green and crisp.

Quick broccoli-cheese soup:

Cut stalks off a bunch of broccoli and divide the top into florets Peel the stalks, cut into ½-inch chunks...cook in 2C chicken broth until barely tender
Add the florets & cook 7 minutes
Puree the solids with ½ c the broth in a blender
Return to the pot and stir in ¼ cup of cream and ½ cup of grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Medium-low heat, stir frequently, until the cheese melts

Roasted broccoli and garlic (very nutritional)

1 lb florets & several small garlic cloves peeled
Use a baking sheet & drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil
Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt
450°F for 10 to 15 minutes, turning everything a few times while it cooks
The garlic should be golden and tender.

disneybebe Sun, Jun-09-02 05:29

Hey Jude,

Thank u so much for your excellent posts :thup:

I used to love broccoli & eat them almost everyday. Then about a month ago, I found like thousands of tiny bugs in my broccoli & the pot, some still moving!! (I did wash them properly b4 I put them into the pot) :Puke: After that, I just couldn't bring myself to buy broccoli again :rolleyes:

I'm definitely gonna start eating broccoli again :thup:

Thanks again.

Bebe :wave:

Lisa N Sun, Jun-09-02 08:56

Great post! I knew there was a reason why I love this stuff! It could also explain why my DH's stomach problems have cleared up completely! We eat a LOT of broccoli around here. He's had studies done before looking for ulcers because of chronic heartburn/acid reflux and general stomach pains, but hasn't had a single episode of any of these since he started low carbing.

Atrsy Sun, Jun-09-02 09:30

Bebe

My DH grows broccoli and it can get worms in it. Last year, there were hundreds in what he brought in for me. But, if you cut it into small pieces and soak it in salt water, it will kill them and they float. I had to soak it several times to get them out. They hide in the florets. After soaking, I blanched it and even found one floating in the pot! Then I froze the broccoli to use later.

disneybebe Sun, Jun-09-02 09:31

Thanks Carol!!

Wendye Sun, Jun-09-02 17:49

Hey Bebe - nothing wrong with a little extra protein!!!

I Love that broccoli - it's on our menu plan all the time !!

garrison Tue, Jun-11-02 08:48

Yummers!

Oh my word, I am salivating over that huge picture of broccoli!

I LOVE broccoli! It is surely one of the best foods out there...full of texture and it can be cooked so many different ways. It's great for dipping in dressing for a quick snack and absolutely WONDERFUL with some cheese on top. YUMMERS!

Cinderella Tue, Jun-11-02 08:56

I didn't know brocolli could "contain" so many bugs... :eek: EEECCKKKK :eek: !!!

Although it will remain one of my most favorite foods...I will be changing a few habits to the way I "handle" it before it hits my mouth...or my frying pan. :D

Thanks for the heads up....

cin

garrison Tue, Jun-11-02 09:01

bugs galore

I've found bugs in broccoli SEVERAL times at salad bars in different restaurants. They are usually these little grey, dusty-looking bugs and they can crawl right up into the florets and hide SO WELL!

I couldn't eat broccoli for a while because of these experiences, but now I just REALLY check the florets CLOSELY and 9 times out of 10 there are no bugs present.

WASH, WASH, WASH the broccoli. (And that goes for other veggies, too!) I have to admit that I usually buy broccoli frozen just for this very reason. (or freeze my own when I buy it fresh) FREEZES THE CRITTERS DEAD!

Cinderella Tue, Jun-11-02 09:19

OMG....I never thought of those salad bars.... :eek: .EEEECCCKKKKK :eek: .....

You gave me a wonderful idea :thup: ....FREEZE them before I eat them.

My stomach sure did a flip flop reading this thread. :(

cin

garrison Tue, Jun-11-02 09:39

no need to fear

I'm so sorry, Cin...I really didn't mean to make you feel sick or anything. Chances are that any broccoli you find will be bug-free. Honest! Scouts honor! (Just keep your eyes open and wash it to be sure, right?)

Cinderella Tue, Jun-11-02 10:40

oh God..I'm okay...lol.

I just need to open my eyes and use my brain...LOL. :D

hugs...cin

disneybebe Tue, Jun-11-02 11:04

Cin,

I didn't mean to scare u either.

I've eaten broccoli like three thousand times & just that one time had bugs in them......... well, actually, 2 times really:rolleyes:

Don't be scared, alright ;)

Wendye Wed, Jun-12-02 06:24

Oh my goodness

I just had broccoli for diner - a great big tree of it and I forgot to check !!!!

I love the stuff - you caould call me a broccoli head
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry - couldn't resist it!!! It's better than those meat hats I saw when I first came to the forum in someone's journal!!!