Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Starting Induction (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=119641)

Lucille Wed, Jul-02-03 20:06

Starting Induction

Hey Im new to all of this! I have tried the induction phase of Atkins, I got to 11 days, then I cheated!!! And I was doing so good. I am a HUGE sugar craver and Im hoping maybe this will help.... any advice for fighting off cravings?

Carrigen Wed, Jul-02-03 20:24

Hi Lucille!

You'll get lots of ideas from the forum, but during my first couple of weeks, I was able to crush cravings by drinking GALLONS of water and eating 1 hard boiled egg when I was dying for something carby. Worked every time and after about 5 days, I didnt want them anymore! (Didnt want the carbs, not the eggs, I still love them for snacks!)

Good luck to you! Read everything and learn as much as ya can and you'll do great!!

Lucille Wed, Jul-02-03 22:12

thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I felt like (last time I tried Atkins) I wasnt losing any weight. But I didnt weigh myself or take any measurements. I was working out almost every day and I was counting everything. I would count my salad dressing, cheese and even sweeteners. Some people say you dont have to count dressings and cheese but I counted EVERYTHING! I gave up after 11 days though. Im going to start again though tomorrow so good luck to me!

Carrigen Thu, Jul-03-03 21:37

I still count everything...have you been to Fitday ? Its a great free site that helps you keep track of what you eat and how it all adds up. Plus they have great pie charts :lol:

Alot of folks here make their journals public and its great to see examples of how other people are making this work...

kevidona Sat, Jul-05-03 07:12

Lucille- I too started induction on June 22nd and I love sugar too. I have been taking basic 3 - 3 times a day and essential oils twice a day, but I also take dieter's advantage 2 tabs twice a day and that helps with my sugar cravings. Make sure you drink lots of water, even more than the eight glasses if you have a lot to lose. I also have found the following in my supermarket and once in a while I will have one. You would think that you died and went to heaven. They are delicious
ASHERS Sugar free/low carb milk choc bar. Only 1g net effective carbs. I hope this helps

Lucille Sat, Jul-05-03 14:35

Thanks!!

Thanks for the help! I am addicted to the Atkins Advantage bars and they usually help when I have a sugar craving, but I have only been doing induction for 3 days and I dont want to stall anything. They also have a new bar called oddysey & U-turn which are supposed to be only about 2-6 net carbs! But Im not sure if you can eat them during induction.

2Bhealthy Sat, Jul-05-03 15:40

Hi, I just wanted to say that I did the EXACT SAME THING. I was doing so well, then on day 11 I just could not resist a dairy queen blizzard! The scale sure showed my cheat too. I was doing so well before that! So I stayed off atkins for 2 days and now I'm re-starting induction again. It is so hard to ward off those carb cravings! I'm not a big fan of hard boiled eggs, but I'm going to try to stuff pepperoni slices in my mouth the next time I get a craving. Good luck! We can do it! :)

Lucille Sat, Jul-05-03 16:42

Oh that kinda makes me feel not so alone! I felt like if I didnt have the ice cream I would die! I LOVE ice cream & chocolate sooo much! But hopefully this time things will work out a little better. I didnt weight myself last time I was on induction so Im not sure how much weight I gained after my big cheat. I have weighed myself this time though. How much weight did you gain after the cheat?

2Bhealthy Sat, Jul-05-03 23:52

Well I gained 2.5 pounds. That was after the ice cream, smores (at a friend's cook-out), and a big dinner of chinese sweet and sour chicken. And a couple Dr. Pepper's too. I felt really lousy after eating all that! So far the past two days have been cheat free and I've lost a pound that I had gained. I feel better too! :)

Lucille Sun, Jul-06-03 15:27

Thats awesome! Ahh I almost cheated lastnight! Im only on day 3 so the cravings havent really gone away yet... I feel SO GOOD today though and Im so happy I didnt cheat! I know it will get easier! I just can't wait until induction os over so I can include some fruits & grains to my diet without feeling so guilty! (and maybe even a little alcohol! hehe)
Happy Low-Carbing!

Mimosa Sun, Jul-06-03 18:16

Im in the same boat! I started back in March and was really good for one month- I lost 15 lbs then made a big move away from home! I dont know what happened- but I went off Atkins and now finally, Im starting over. Its really hard to admit- but Ive struggled with bulimia since I was 13 and now am 24. I want to get better- and Atkins helped end the cycle for at least a few months. I need it help again. If you have any inspirational advise- I would love it.

Lucille Sun, Jul-06-03 20:14

Mimosa- Im here for ya. I know its really hard getting started but it will be so worth it. I write in a journal every night and before I cheat I go and read my feelings for the last couple days. It seems Im obsessed with my weight. I dont have a lot to lose but I just want to lose a little more.... and I feel like when I do cheat or eat something bad I want to purge. I never have, but I have thought about it a lot. If you stick to Atkins I promise you will feel so much better! I have never done the whole diet but I got to 11 days on induction last month and honestly, all my cravings were gone and I felt amazing. I had a family reunion though and blew it all that weekend... it was so hard and im kicking myself in the ass for it but I have started again, Im only on day 3 and Im not finding it easy. I do feel a little better though... Just stick with it this time, remember this diet works!

Mimosa Sun, Jul-06-03 20:21

you saved me

Thanks Lucille! You don't know how you just saved me! THis is more than a diet to me- I need to change my life! I hate being obsessed with food- the cravings worsen the more of the sugar I eat, and I know that! I just got back from the grocery store and bought good low carb food but still have some of the carbs left over from my last shopping- which I was seriously contemplating eating until I heard the little "ding" of my computer with your reply! Thanks again- im taking all the sugar to the garbage right now! Induciton day one...complete! I think im going to start the journal- i hope it will help!

Keep in touch- id love to hear how you are doing with Atkins!!

Betsy1111 Sun, Jul-06-03 20:55

Mimosa-I am a very long time bulemic and I just want to say that I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I think the best thing you can do is keep going forward....if you foul up, start again ASAP. If you foul up again, so what...start again ASAP. I am saying this to you and hoping I can apply it to me! I've tried for 5 days to start Atkins and 5x I've screwed up at night. AND I am committed to continuing until I go without cheating...which we both know is even a bigger hurdle than just not eating carbs. Stay strong.

Mimosa Sun, Jul-06-03 21:01

Hi Betsy- you hang in there! I know what you mean- bulimia is my worst nightmare- and has been for a long time. It has gotten better and then worse- I can see my triggers in hindsight but getting back into a no purge cycle gets harder each time. LIke I said- i did atkins a few months ago- and i felt so good- i could have a meal with people and not... well, you konw. I felt normal. I need to get back to that- and I really hope you can! I know you can! Its a matter of what is most important- your health, and mine! Keep riminding yourself that! I will too. Lets keep in touch- becuase I know you know how I feel and I can bet I know how you do. Take care--