Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Breakfast...urghhhhh (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137716)

slimcat Wed, Sep-17-03 09:46

Breakfast...urghhhhh

It's just one day past my first two weeks. Already, I'm cringing at the thought of another egg and bacon breakfast tomorrow. I did do bacon and cottage cheese today. If i'don't get variety soon, I'll attack someone and take a bite of their cinnamon danish.

Any radical suggestions???? Grate Breakfast food sources, etc

Slim Cat :angel:

PS. Never thought I'd get sick of bacon

ian559 Wed, Sep-17-03 09:47

I love the flax hot cereals out there as a change. Very filling and full of fiber.

Kestrel Wed, Sep-17-03 09:49

Why look at breakfast as the time when you only eat specific things?? Why not view it as a "meal", and simply eat what you want, such as some meatloaf or a hamburger, etc. To me it just makes sense to open up your meals to all the possible food combinations, not just usual "breakfast".

Sinbad Wed, Sep-17-03 09:49

Try doing your eggs differently? I'm having an omelette every morning with varied fillings (mushrooms, peppers, bacon, ham, sausage, salami, chorizo, gammon steak).... Been almost 2 months and I'm not bored yet :)

ian559 Wed, Sep-17-03 09:52

I embrace my beloved eggs. They are cheap. They help me keep my fat content up. On a budget you can get much cheaper perfect atkins food that the good ols egg

slimcat Wed, Sep-17-03 09:55

It's the meat part that I dislike....I'm 'typically' not a meat eater...however..the flax cereal sounds good. Couple of quick questions..do you cook the cereal in water and then add heavy cream

Slim Cat

Jennifer72 Wed, Sep-17-03 09:56

I hear you, I am SO sick of eggs, I've pretty much stopped eating them.

It might be time to stop thinking of "breakfast foods", I'll grill a hamburger patty for breakfast or eat some lunch meat rolled up with cheese or have some of whatever is leftover from the night before's dinner.

I pretty much save my egg breakfasts for weekend omletts out! Then I enjoy them.

vbrowne Wed, Sep-17-03 09:58

I make a pizza quiche on the weekend, then I have a piece every day if I want or you can make a frittata. I couldn't eat bacon and eggs every day, I only have that on Sunday mornings drenched in hollandaise sauce.

ian559 Wed, Sep-17-03 10:01

Slimcat,
I have tried 2 differant kinds. Both add boiling water and sit for 3 minutes. If its not the look I want I just either add more water or pop it in the microwave for a few seconds. I dodnt add cream to mine. I add butter!!
and if its the flaxomeal brand I add a tad bit of splenda. You can a cream if you like I just like it my way better. I have a problem keeping my fat count high enough so the butter is for me

slimcat Wed, Sep-17-03 10:03

Great,

I'll try the flaxomeal..I think my local health food store has it

yuckycarbo Wed, Sep-17-03 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcat
It's just one day past my first two weeks. Already, I'm cringing at the thought of another egg and bacon breakfast tomorrow. I did do bacon and cottage cheese today. If i'don't get variety soon, I'll attack someone and take a bite of their cinnamon danish.

Any radical suggestions???? Grate Breakfast food sources, etc

Slim Cat :angel:

PS. Never thought I'd get sick of bacon

Low carb bread. The stuff I buy has 3.3 carbs per slice. Loaded with butter... man.... there is nothing that tastes as good, I swear. It tastes better than old bread I used to have, sooo good. This morning I had 3 eggs mixed with lots of sausage, and 2 pieces of toast loaded with butter. Do yourself a favor and go get some!

tampa_baa Wed, Sep-17-03 10:18

I am 12 days into Induction and burnt out on eggs in the first week. Also, I am not convinced that bacon is all that good for you, even thinking and eating the Atkin's way. (Ham or fresh made sausage seems to have less nitrates etc.) This week I have varied things a bit by eating Atkin's Breakfast bars some days, eggs once or twice, and smoked salmon and cream cheese. I love smoked salmon, so I find this a rather nice breakfast addition and it's fast and easy and not too expensive.

I agree, though, breakfast is a bit of a challenge these days. Then again, I did not eat breakfast regularly until starting Atkins.

ian559 Wed, Sep-17-03 10:23

Smoked salmon on Cheeters brand garlic crackers with cream cheese is yummy. 3 big crackers 6 grams carbs but 5 grams fiber. 7 grams of protein too. I could eat smoked salmon till I was sick.

LovableLC Wed, Sep-17-03 10:30

I don't think I'll every touch another egg! Total overkill. Like some others have said don't put yourself in a box and think it has to be breakfast foods. You can eat ANYTHING, like left overs of last night. There are also those shakes(gross in my opinion) IF they don't stall you.

filmlass23 Wed, Sep-17-03 10:45

If you're still on induction, like me, then cereal and bread isn't really an option... I would fry bacon or sausage every morning for a while and then i was like "this is too messy and takes too much time."

Now, I just toss a hebrew national dinner frank in a pot of water, turn it on, go do my hair or whatever, and in ten minutes - voila - breakfast. Easy no-grease cleanup too.

Hot Dog Breakfasts... mmm... (right?)
~D