Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Vegetarian Low Carbers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Substitute for night time cravings (or binges) for sweets? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=124932)

Grrl Wed, Jul-23-03 01:12

Substitute for night time cravings (or binges) for sweets?

Hi Everyone :)

I'm sure I'm not the only LC LV Veggie person who craves chocolate chips at night (I also take meds that make me crave sugar). Aside from the Atkins products, does anyone have any suggestions about foods or supplements that help the cravings pass? Aaahh...it's driving me nuts! LOL

Thanks!

Paleoanth Wed, Jul-23-03 05:08

Somtimes I make a kind of low caeb cheesecake. I take a bit of cream cheese, add some splenda, either a little water or creamer and some (1/2 tablespoon) cocoa. Microwave it for 7 seconds and stir. Cocoa is pretty low in carb as long as you get the unsweetened kind-like baking cocoa.

etoiles Wed, Jul-23-03 08:32

I would make the peanut butter cups from the dessert recipe section. I just made a batch of those for the first time and they are DELICIOUS and taste like pure little chocolate. And one is very satisfying, has not too much splenda (per cup) and does not aggravate my stomach at all like those sugar alcohol candies. They are wonderful and will fulfill any chocolate cravings you have! Even my husband who's not a big sweets person loved them!

Grrl Wed, Jul-23-03 19:24

Wow...those both definitely sound like they'd do the trick. Thanks. I actually have some cocoa (unsweetened) in the cupboard and was wondering what hot chocolate would taste like without the sugar. hmnnn....

Grrl Sun, Jul-27-03 00:43

tonight i finished the bag of chocolate chips :(

UrbanGypsy Fri, Aug-08-03 09:16

Hiya

You have my sympathy... I went through hell trying to give up my little hidden sugar fixes (I honestly thought I didn't use that much!) when I first went on the diet...

Since then I've seen so many people trying so hard to find ways around the diet so they can still have sweet food. To each their own, but the only way I personally found to get around the sugar cravings was to follow Atkin's advice and cut them out completely.

I won't use chemical products like aspartame and sucralose and our government, in their infinite stupidity, made stevia illegal. So my initial urges to find a sugar substitute had to go unfulfilled. And I'm so glad they did! Atkins was right; it's just an addiction needing to be broken. After a couple of days cold turkey, I can hand on heart tell you I haven't had a single sugar craving since...

For what it's worth, that's what worked for me. It may not be the easy solution, but I hope it helps.

Good luck! (And don't forget... if you don't buy chocolate chips, you can't eat them! ;))

mem2 Thu, Aug-14-03 17:13

Urban Gypsy,
Wow, You are tough and courageous. I admire you. Wish I was there. If only I could have fruit, maybe, but right now, no way. Hopefully it will be a goal for the future.