Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Tilapia in a Low-Carb Crust (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=20957)

BillT Fri, Sep-21-01 01:53

Tilapia in a Low-Carb Crust

Tilapia is a very firm and extremely mild, yet with a distinct flavor, white fish that is starting to appear in stores left and right. I devised this quick low-carb crust to cook it in.
Ingredients for 4 persons: 6 hazelnuts (.6 ECC), 6 almonds (.6 ECC), 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (0.7 ECC), 1 tablespoon flax seeds (.8 ECC), 1/2 teaspoon black pepper from the mill, 1/2 cup heavy cream (3.3 ECC), 3 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, 4 6-oz. tilapia fillets, salt, Cayenne.
Preparation: Combine the hazelnuts, almonds, coriander seeds, flax seeds, and black pepper in a small frying pan. Toast them over medium heat for about 3 minutes and grind into a coffee grinder. Spread them out onto a plate. Put the cream into a small bowl. Melt the butter with the oil over medium heat in a large non-stick frying pan. Meanwhile season the tilapia with the salt and Cayenne. Dip one side into the heavy cream and press it onto the low-carb mixture. Once the butter foam has subsided, place the fillets into the frying pan coated side down and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes.~ Then turn the fish fillets onto the non-coated side and cook them for another 4 to 6 minutes.~ Once the fish is cooked, transfer it to a serving dish or serving plates coated side up. If you have any coating mix left, you can dust the fillets with it or add a little chopped nuts for decoration and serve immediately. Suggested side: Mushrooms in cream and chives.
Total ECC: 6; per person: 1.5 ECC.

Erin4980 Mon, Oct-15-01 19:41

This was excellent!!!! I couldn't find hazelnuts (don't ask I'm a complete idiot when it comes to a grocery store), and also the flax seeds and grapeseed oil (I used regular oil instead)...but it still turned out delicious:) I made the mushrooms in cream and chives as well, and let me tell you this was great. It was the first time my boyfriend ever enjoyed a low-carb meal;)

For anyone that has not tried tilapia yet...it is excellent. Very mild, and not fishy at all.

Thanks for the recipe:)

Erin

(I have chicken marinating in the frig for the butter chicken recipe, which I making tomorrow) Let me tell you I feel like I have more options than ever within this diet (Aktins). I love it:) and I've definitely never loved a diet before.

fiona Sat, Oct-20-01 06:31

Tilapia ... brings back sweet memories

I haven't seen Tilapia in the UK but when I was in Kenya we used to have Tilapia at least twice a week - it was sooo abundant in the Indian Ocean : almost always guaranteed to be cheap, plentiful and fresh supply.

I remember times when we used to get it straight from the fishermen as they walked in with their catch, light a little fire there and then and toast it on the coals : ummmmm

Thanks Bill - recipie looks good but the memories it triggered are even better :D
Take care.