Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   weight stalls and crash dieting (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=29474)

mary nappi Tue, Jan-08-02 09:36

weight stalls and crash dieting

hi everyone,
just wanted to let some of you know that weight stalls have been normal for me through-out my diet on the atkins plan. i have gone a few weeks at a time and only lost a 1/2 lb. but then all of a sudden it starts falling off again. sometimes i think your body has to take time to readjust to your new weight or something. guess that sounds silly, but i do believe it. i just have stayed on my regular eating plan and try my best to not get off it and then everything works out the best for me. hope it will for you to. even if i do only lose a 1/2 lb. at a time, its still losing and i will take everything loss i can. i have not crash dieted any, because i have read where it can really be bad for your diet, even mess it up and make you go off it., and i sure don't want that to happen. i also keep up on all the news and information on low carb diets. i am constantly learning new things everyday, new recipes, new foods to eat etc............
nearing the 100 lb. loss now and this really excites me, never in all my wildest dreams did i think i could lose that much weight.
love all my new low carb friends i have made this year to.
hope to hear from you.
mary

alto Tue, Jan-08-02 09:42

Thanks for posting that -- and congratulations on your 100-pounds gone forever. WHAT an amazing accomplishment :cheer:

The half-pound weeks are so frustrating. It's very nice to have a long-term view :)

mary nappi Tue, Jan-08-02 10:55

losing lbs the low carb way

alto,
nice to hear from you and someone near my own age. e-mail me, i am having trouble with my logging on so i can send private messages for some reason.
let me hear from you soon.
mary

Karen Tue, Jan-08-02 11:00

Great words Mary! Congratulations for hanging tight! I like the way Doreen has described the process ...

"Plateaus are good, and necessary. Plateaus mean a levelling off. When you're climbing a mountain, a plateau is a welcome relief, and chance for the body to catch up. Weight loss plateaus should be viewed the same way. The body is just levelling off, giving the mind-set extra time to develop the new lowcarb habits. If we hit a plateau, and cheat or binge with carby foods, it's like going back down the mountain, and the climb back up to where we were is harder than ever.

Pretty much everything we do in life is filled with stops and starts, charging full-steam ahead and then stale periods of immobilization ... our relationships, education, careers ... as well as health issues. We have no way of knowing in advance how long or how often ... It's taken me many years to come to feel this way though ... didn't happen overnight that's for sure! But I guess it's all just part of life's journey.

I posted this elsewhere, but it holds true in this discussion as well ... 'You CAN have it all -- you just can't have it all NOW.' "

From Why Quit LC WOE?

Karen

ezandreth Tue, Jan-08-02 11:29

thank you for this...

Mary, Alto and Karen,
thank you for these words, they're a great encouragement to those of us just puddling along. It's good to get a perspective on things.
Zan

doreen T Tue, Jan-08-02 13:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
I posted this elsewhere, but it holds true in this discussion as well ... 'You CAN have it all -- you just can't have it all NOW.' "
Thanks Karen, I'd forgotten about this. It would be good if I listened to myself more often :daze:

Think I'll add this to my sig. line for a while, just to remind me that the JOURNEY is just as important ... if not more so ... than the goal itself.

Doreen

Karen Tue, Jan-08-02 14:21

Hmm. I think a similar gift was left in your journal! ;)

I've gratefully used your analogy a few times and I was happy that I found it without too much of a search.

We can be our own worst enemies. Even if we are experienced LC'ers and intellectually we know that we are being ridiculous - as in jumping on the scales 20 times a day - emotionally we can be a total mess over it.

Is the ultimate key finding the physical, emotional and spiritual balance?

Karen

doreen T Tue, Jan-08-02 14:26

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Hmm. I think a similar gift was left in your journal! ;)
:rheart:

Yes, it's being used with much gratitude.

Humbly yours,

Doreen

bsayne Tue, Jan-08-02 14:33

Having it all!

I like that quote Karen! I always remind myself too that if you did have it all...right now!...where in the world would you put it?

Bsayne

**Congratulations Mary...Your determination shows! It isn't an overnight process, all roads have pot holes and the journey is highly worth it!

Ruth Tue, Jan-08-02 15:10

Long time no see

Mary,

Welcome back I haven't seen any of your posts in ages.

Congrats on losing 97 lbs. 97 is a huge number. WTG girl!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Your ability to pm is now based on the number of your posts. Keep posting & you'll be pm'ing soon. :)

mary nappi Tue, Jan-08-02 16:17

low carb friend

ezandreth,
got your mail, nice to hear from you. if you ever need any advice i am here for you.
good luck with your low carbing diet plan.

sunshine2 Tue, Jan-08-02 16:21

do you realize that you have lost a person? My son weighs 100 pounds. 100 pounds is something to be very proud of.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words, I've been down lately about my weight not moving, and your words just helped me readjust my thinking. I've been trying to think that way, and it is good to hear it from someone else.

Thanks!

EllieEats Tue, Jan-08-02 16:46

Hi Mary!!

Just wanted to say... WOW!!!!!

100 pounds!!!!! That takes lots of work and self control!!!!

I hope you have something very special planned--- you definitely deserve it !!!

Ellie :wave:

EllieEats Wed, Jan-09-02 18:01

Hi Mary...

Thanks for the PM!! What a nice surprise!! I've been trying to get back to you but it always says your box is full.

Would really like to talk more with you....

thanks...
Ellie :wave: