Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Betrayed by Bouillon (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481732)

LiterateGr Mon, Dec-17-18 12:06

Betrayed by Bouillon

Yesterday, I was thirsty in a way only diet soda would cure.

So I had some bouillon instead.

This morning, I still wanted (diet) soda, AND it's cold. (I live in FL, which means I avoid running the heater even when it's 35, because I know it won't last.) So I had some more bouillon. And then another, a while later.

Wandering into the kitchen to fix my 3rd or 4th of the day (I've lost count) I idly looked at the ingredients.

The first is salt. The next THREE were variations on sugar.

:eek: (Sugar, corn syrup, and then some kind of modified corn product, I don't even remember.)

Dangit, bouillon is supposed to be safe.... a way to replenish salts. (That's what the soda craving was about.)

So now I'm annoyed. This was Winn Dixie store brand that one of us had apparently picked up a while back... It's only coming out to 1g/cube, but there's no excuse for it being there at all.

Looks like I'm going to be going back and taking my magnifying glass to read labels!

GRB5111 Mon, Dec-17-18 12:14

Getting bouillon with the correct ingredients is a challenge. Always read the ingredients whether you find it in your pantry or on a store shelf. Amazing how many things have sugar because it just tastes better, and you'll drink much more of it. Seems like a food marketing strategy, eh?

LiterateGr Mon, Dec-17-18 12:19

That it does.

I KNOW this bouillon pre-dates my recommitment to LC. I honestly can't think when/why it was purchased, but was clearly bought casually.

I'm just so disgusted right now I could spit.

Ms Arielle Mon, Dec-17-18 13:19

Totally understand your frustration!!!!! THere should not be sugar in anything IMHO. Unfortunately it is hidden everywhere as we all know.... yet we still fall into a pit here and there. At least the damage is not as bad as a soda , so good for you to make a better choice!!

s93uv3h Mon, Dec-17-18 13:46

re: bouillon - i can't get past the msg.

:)

Meme#1 Mon, Dec-17-18 16:01

I tried one brand which was vegetarian because it had no MSG or sugar and it turned out tasting like green grass, it was pretty bad....

mike_d Mon, Dec-17-18 19:33

That little bit won't hurt. There is even sugar (glycogen) in liver, but I enjoy it anyway for the nutrition. Bouillon, a cup or two, SPAM, soy sauce or even a few BBQ pork skins help me get enough salt without licking a cattle block :)

JEY100 Tue, Dec-18-18 05:13

Progress, not perfection. I view boullion as better than diet soda, so still a win.

barb712 Tue, Dec-18-18 07:56

If you shop at Walmart, there's a Sam's Choice organic beef or chicken bone broth. They come in the quart-sized long shelf life cartons along with other soups and broths like College Inn or Swanson. I keep a couple of those on hand. They're a much healthier choice than bouillon. I used to buy the Herb Ox cubes in the blue container, least gross ingredients of all of them but still gross to me.

cotonpal Tue, Dec-18-18 08:14

I understand that many people don't want to go this route but I simply make my own bone broth. I've been doing it for years. That way I know exactly what the ingredients are.

s93uv3h Tue, Dec-18-18 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
If you shop at Walmart, there's a Sam's Choice organic beef or chicken bone broth.
contains yeast extract - aka msg.

Foods that Contain Yeast Extract

https://i.imgur.com/QjcFiSM.png?1

barb712 Tue, Dec-18-18 08:33

Hmm, just can't win. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h

cshepard Tue, Dec-18-18 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I understand that many people don't want to go this route but I simply make my own bone broth. I've been doing it for years. That way I know exactly what the ingredients are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Hmm, just can't win. :(

Making your own is a win!

Easy ... I save all bones from my cooked meals in a large zip lock in the freezer. When the bag is full I dump it in my pressure cooker with misc. herbs, garlic, salt, peppercorns, various vegetable clippings that I may have saved as well (like the trimmings from asparagus, carrot stubs, cauliflower leaves etc), sometimes onion, whole ginger or tumeric and a couple dashes of vinegar. Really, whatever you have, but works just as well with only the bones. When you have a mix of poultry, pork and beef bones, the broth comes out a rich golden colour with a great all purpose flavour.
Cook for 3-4 hours. Strain and pour in ice cube trays. Freeze and bag.

My small dogs each get a cube a day as a supplement to their prey model raw diets, and I can pull out as much as I want for drinking, or flavouring soups or gravies.

deirdra Tue, Dec-18-18 15:19

And homemade broth is essentially free, made from bones & food scraps. I use my slow-cooker for 8-24 hrs.

LiterateGr Tue, Dec-18-18 19:59

Home-made bone broth (at least in MY house) is promptly made into soup and frozen. (Well, what's not eaten immediately is frozen.)

Did a google-search for "Sugar-free chicken bouillon", and found some ("Simple Girl") that comes in basically a salt-shaker, and has around 5 ingredients. (Sea salt, garlic powder, spices, onion powder, stevia leaf extract.) I ordered some. (Yes, I could probably mix something like that up myself, but I'm being lazy.)

For me, there's a world of difference between bone-broth and hot bouillon... one is a meal, one is a quick hot drink. Emphasis on quick.

Plus my family would divorce me if I didn't make soup from bone-broth. My son, especially, would call the UN over human rights violations. ("Yes... my mom boiled out a carcass and didn't make SOUP!!" "We'll have Child Protective Services right out there...")