Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   South Beach Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Lose belly fat first? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=185945)

BBQman Fri, May-21-04 08:25

Lose belly fat first?

Hello,

I am currently on an Atkins-like plan and it's working well so far. I am reading SBD for the fun of it but I don't think it's something I am going to do (I don't think my wife could handle it and we need to be on the same plan). I do have a question about something Dr. Agatston? said in the book. Do you really lose belly fat first? On my plan I'm losing some belly fat, but also man-boob fat, leg fat, etc.

scrapgirl Fri, May-21-04 08:40

I have a friend that did SBD and she said it was true...not sure how 'reliable' she is though. She is rather impressionable!!

pstar Fri, May-21-04 08:51

I'm here to tell you that I lost belly fat first.

A_Team_Gal Fri, May-21-04 09:09

I've been on SBD since May 1st, and while some of the belly fat is disappearing (waistlines becoming looser), I find I'm losing more in my thighs and breasts. (Yeah, breasts for me are always the last place to gain weight and the first place to lose it - sigh) I know the book makes claims about losing the belly fat first, but I really think it depends on the person. Even when I was down to 135 pounds and starving myself to stay there, I had a belly!

beeshoney1 Fri, May-21-04 09:13

I actually lost my belly fat first on Atkins. Actually, it is STILL the place that is shrinking the most. Now if my arms will only submit!

twinmomma Fri, May-21-04 15:40

I also did Atkins after I had the twins. I decided not to go back to Atkins since I am nursing my new daughter. I found that I have lost more weight and faster on SB. I have lost inches also. I love the verstilaty of this diet more then atkins. :)

elijaeger Fri, May-21-04 18:05

The theory behind losing belly fat on any diet is that your body will pull from your visceral fat quickly (the fat underneath your abs) because it is the most easily metabolized fat. So that would help explain your shrinking waistline. I am on a new notch on my belt!

Monika4 Fri, May-21-04 18:20

I also lost waist fat first.

MelC140 Sat, May-22-04 07:43

I think as you said it depends on the person. Some women, in their forties and on, will not lose it so quickly because belly fat is menopausal fat cells holding on to oestrogen (read this in a great book by Debra Waterhouse (I can check on name etc if anyone is interested)). I have lost a bit of waist fat but belly fat is hanging on for dear life!

BBQman Sun, May-23-04 09:37

Thanks for the responses everyone.

smik Sun, May-23-04 17:14

I have heard that the last place you gained fat is the first place you lose it. For some it will be the belly, others it won't.

dazzlin182 Tue, Jun-01-04 04:40

my bf was on south beach phase 1-2 for 4 weeks, his waistline went from 44.5 to now surprisingly 40 so basically he does lose inches on the belly.

altho hes not really doing it by the book now he still doesnt really eat reg fat foods and only eat grains sparingly

he couldve lose more and quicker if he can live without milk (lf). his weight stays between 211-213 (was 220 at 6'2") not really losing or gaining

good luck

luckyloser Tue, Jun-01-04 17:47

I'd like to read more about "menopausal fat holding on to estrogen". Might be the reason I'm losing everywhere except
belly fat!

luckyloser Wed, Jun-02-04 06:02

What's the name of the book you read this in? This is the
first I've heard of this........

vbrowne Wed, Jun-02-04 10:47

just more fun to look forward to with menopause, oh, the list gets longer, urgh!

Vikki