Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I can't believe I never ate spaghetti squash B4 LC! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=143231)

marchbaby Thu, Oct-16-03 09:55

I can't believe I never ate spaghetti squash B4 LC!

it is great as lunch (last night's dinner leftovers). Last night at dinner dh & I ate the sp. squash with lc sauce and some mozzarella cheese, I made a sp. squash "casserole". It was awesome to have pasta and a vegetable to go with our chicken!

First I cooked the squash by placing each half face down in a pyrex dish of water. Then after about 45 minutes in the oven, I took them out, let them sit for 5 min and then careful took a fork and made the spaghetti. Then I put them back in the pyrex casserole dish, added lc sauce and the cheese and cooked for another 5 min.

Evey Thu, Oct-16-03 09:58

squash

Hi!

This sounds too good to be true! I have never tried it because I've only ever tried yellow squash (as a kid) and HATED it! Is it really that good? How do you prepare it? What does it look like so I know it when I see it? I would love a big bowl of "pasta"!

Thanks!

Evey Thu, Oct-16-03 10:00

Opps!

I should have scrolled down to see the rest of your post! Got too eager!

:lol:

marchbaby Thu, Oct-16-03 10:04

Hey Evey

I PM'd you the link, I'll post it here, too

http://www.foodnouveau.com/articles...ny-name/01.php3

great advice on how to cook the squash

vbrowne Thu, Oct-16-03 10:08

I wish I liked it, I miss spaghetti, especially now the winter is upon us, I guess i'm going to have to get some LC pasta and just have that once in a while.

Vikki

Bon Thu, Oct-16-03 10:14

Thanks March! I've always wanted to try it, but wasn't sure how to do it. What kind of sauce did you use?

Rachelle Thu, Oct-16-03 10:19

I bought one over the weekend... haven't cooked it yet... just seemed like something I might mess up...

But you clarified it... and it tastes sweet?? maybe just parm cheese and oil?? OR did the sauce accent it well..
I hate the lowcarb pastas...usually a bite is all it takes and right into the trash...

I will make this tonight...

l_siobhan Thu, Oct-16-03 10:24

[QUOTE=Rachelle]I bought one over the weekend... haven't cooked it yet... just seemed like something I might mess up... QUOTE]

I bought one this weekend also! Along with my very first eggplant. My DH even asked me last night when I was going to get around to cooking them. HUmm maybe tonight is the night...

MaryToU Thu, Oct-16-03 10:24

I like adding 3 tablespoons of butter, 1 clove garlic, 3 talbespoons of heavy cream, 1/4 cup parm, cheese. (OK, I tend to have a heavy hand with the cheese.) for every 2 cups of squash. Then I through in some Italian turkey breast! Yummy.

MaryToU Thu, Oct-16-03 10:25

make that chicken breast. Oops.

DeanaJane Thu, Oct-16-03 11:14

Marchbaby,
This post came at the right time. Can't have my cheese but I can sure have my fake pasta. Ha ha

I love squash, but for some reason never dediced to buy this. Well now I have a reason to, I actually know how to cook it.

thanks
Deana

PS Vikki have you ever tried the lc pasta? I bought a bag at the local health food store. Oh my gosh I thought I would throw up. Even tried it with about 2 cups of cheese. I kept the bag for about a month hoping I could bring myself to try cooking it again. Nope, finally threw it in the trash.

wils Thu, Oct-16-03 18:09

If you want to try a fantastic tasting spaghetti squash recipe, by Karen, go to salads,veggies and side dishes, and search for spaghetti squash carbonara, I made it on the weekend and have eaten it every night since. It has proscuitto(Sp) and parmesan cheese. It is terrific. Not a pasta style dish but still terrific.

katgurl Thu, Oct-16-03 19:26

I am going to have to try this!

And as for that low carb pasta....I almost threw up from the smell of it cooking! Grossest thing ever.

el corazón Thu, Oct-16-03 19:58

I looooove spaghetti squash! I do 20 min in the mirco. though. Ive had it with butter and salt alone, and with garlic and butter, and with butter and parmesan. Good all those ways. Mmmm I love it so much!!!

Rachelle Fri, Oct-17-03 09:02

Alright guys... an Update...
Made the Spaghetti Squash yesterday.... and it was awesome... I used half topped with butter, parm cheese and lowcarb marinara with sausage.... Sooo delicious...

The other half... I had as a dessert... with Brown Sugar Twin and Butter... and it tasted like a Sweet Potatoe...

This will be a new staple in my diet... thanks for the recommendation :)